Packing...

JCSM-Mom

The other thread on this made me think perhaps I could get some good suggestions here on this....

When we cruise in November we will be going to Philly area for the prior week and then to the Cruise.

I've been trying to figure out what to pack that will work well in both places without bringing a ton of stuff. But, since it will be winter in one place and summer in another.....

I was thinking I would use those space bag things when I pack....but wondering how things don't come out a wrinkled mess. I guess I could plan getting things pressed when I get on board.

Any tips.... I really only want to bring 4 suitcases (1 each) and maybe a garment bag for our formal wear (which takes up a ton of room it seems).

Thanks!

Have you thought about mailing the things you use in Philly home before you leave for the cruise? Then you wouldn't be lugging around things you won't be needing.

I did think of this actually. I also thought of mailing the things I would need for the cruise to myself while I was in Philly....but then I thought 'What if they don't arrive'.....which would really stink. But, I could send the stuff home...I could send suitcases and all!

I wonder how much that would cost? The last time I lost a suitcase (got left in Customs after a cruise) it cost me $70 to have it sent to me.....

Thanks for the tip!

Get some Hefty One Zip 2.5 gallon bags. They are great for undies, shorts, T-shorts, swimwear etc. They are large enough that you can fold the clothes nicely and they actually reduce wrinkles, I think. Pack them pretty full, but not over stuffed then zip the bags 3/4 closed. Sit on the bag and zip them closed the rest of the way to take all the air out. We don't leave for our cruise until Sept 28, but I've spent the afternoon zipping all the undies, t-shirts and shorts so all I'll have to do next weekend to put the hanging good clothes in and I'm set to go. The airport security folks like all your stuff in the baggies too as it's easy for them to go thru your stuff without messing it up.

I used spacebags for our Alaska cruise as well as a lot of microfleece fabric - worked great. Use the "roll" method for T-shirts and pack a travel sized can of Faultless spray to remove any wrinkles. I also bought a four-piece Citinits outfit from QVC consisting of black pants, tank, long jacket and burn-out poncho. Glued a few crystals onto the poncho and used for formal night with pants and tank; replaced it with jacket for "smart casual" and bought an extra tunic in red for a casual night. They roll up into practically nothing and are impossible to wrinkle.

mommy,

i would think again about the space bags. You can suck the air out at home but you wont have a vacum on the ship.

These are the kind that you roll up manually, they don't work quite as well as the vacuum on, but decent. I use them for my towels and linens when I go camping since I don't have much storage space in my trailer.

Although stuff get's pretty crunched up in there....I was worried everything would be a wrinkled mess.

I really just want to keep the baggage to a minimum.....since we also have two toddlers and their carseat/stroller combo. (At least we don't have to bring these separate!).

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

I used spacebags for our Alaska cruise as well as a lot of microfleece fabric - worked great. Use the "roll" method for T-shirts and pack a travel sized can of Faultless spray to remove any wrinkles. I also bought a four-piece Citinits outfit from QVC consisting of black pants, tank, long jacket and burn-out poncho. Glued a few crystals onto the poncho and used for formal night with pants and tank; replaced it with jacket for "smart casual" and bought an extra tunic in red for a casual night. They roll up into practically nothing and are impossible to wrinkle.

Haven't heard of Faultless spray....I'll have to look into that! Seems like something I could use all the time!

Was this outift knit/stretch? Sounds great, I'll have to check it out.

Archived