Can I have blood tests on Prinsendam?

As a retired 'health care professional' who has worked all over the world - you are so correct! The US definitely does not have the best health care - check stats like newborn survival - do not think we even make the top 25 list.

The newborn survival rate statistic you see all over the internet is misleading. In the U.S., we include low weight, premature, and severely disabled infants. If the baby takes even a single breath, it's counted as a live birth. Other countries measure live births differently. Germany for example doesn't count it as a live birth unless the baby weighs more than 500g. Japan doesn't count it as a live birth unless the baby survives for 24 hours. And since 40% of infant deaths occur within the first 24 hours, you can see how skewed these numbers can get.

(Why yes, I am a statistics nerd... probably why I love baseball!)

Carol, I admire your spunk! As a fellow cancer survivor, I totally agree with your philosophy! Thank you for doing the clinical trial. Your courage will benefit all of us. Have a fabulous cruise followed by many more!

If CMP means "comprehensive metabolic panel" (which is what my lab calls it) then that shouldn't be a problem. Not a complicated or uncommon test. They might well do a test like that onboard for someone who is severely dehydrated or something like that, so they can *probably* do it.

But yes make sure to check with them before you leave. Next time you call, perhaps ask them for the email address for someone at "fleet medical" as it may be easier to touch base that way?

You sound like you're aware of the risks--and benefits--involved and have not taken this decision lightly. Enjoy yourself and I hope you don't come down with anything horrid!

Hmm. As a survivor who is still in a longitudinal dose-dense trial, I get the panel & tumor markers every 6 months... This isn't related to the cancer, but my experience suggests my advice:

A few years back in the Med, I had to visit sick bay for life-threatening pneumonia & assorted resulting issues... I did get excellent care (med staff were all Aussies, BTW). Hefty bill charged to my account, fortunately all covered by my insurance upon return, via a long complicated process.

But the real problem was getting the reports of tests (vitals, xrays, EKG, ECG, labs) and espec. treatment & meds, conveyed to my docs. They refused to directly email or even snail-mail to me or the addresses of medical professionals. Forget about getting a disk! They would only give me a very flimsy, virtually illegible, thermal-paper copy of their records, for me to scan & email or print & mail to the ins. co. & the docs. And of course, it would not scan nor print with any decent legibility.

BC/BS did cover it though. Though I gave them all the illegible copies, my oncologist, endocrinologist, cardio & PCP could only enter in my chart what I relayed to them verbally. (I do have a pretty good memory & was alert to all tests, diagnoses, treatment, numbers for vitals, etc.--but still.) Pretty frustrating.

So you may be taking some chances with getting the actual data. Bring a notepad & make them tell you the lab results as well, just in case they won't/can't give you/email the report to your oncologist.

Or maybe even see if you can delay getting the labs until your return to the states. (After all, what would they do based on results: administer new treatment on board? Send you home mid-cruise?) Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Edited by sofietucker

Hmm. As a survivor who is still in a longitudinal dose-dense trial, I get the panel & tumor markers every 6 months... This isn't related to the cancer, but my experience suggests my advice:

A few years back in the Med, I had to visit sick bay for life-threatening pneumonia & assorted resulting issues... I did get excellent care (med staff were all Aussies, BTW). Hefty bill charged to my account, fortunately all covered by my insurance upon return, via a long complicated process.

But the real problem was getting the reports of tests (vitals, xrays, EKG, ECG, labs) and espec. treatment & meds, conveyed to my docs. They refused to directly email or even snail-mail to me or the addresses of medical professionals. Forget about getting a disk! They would only give me a very flimsy, virtually illegible, thermal-paper copy of their records, for me to scan & email or print & mail to the ins. co. & the docs. And of course, it would not scan nor print with any decent legibility.

BC/BS did cover it though. Though I gave them all the illegible copies, my oncologist, endocrinologist, cardio & PCP could only enter in my chart what I relayed to them verbally. (I do have a pretty good memory & was alert to all tests, diagnoses, treatment, numbers for vitals, etc.--but still.) Pretty frustrating.

So you may be taking some chances with getting the actual data. Bring a notepad & make them tell you the lab results as well, just in case they won't/can't give you/email the report to your oncologist.

Or maybe even see if you can delay getting the labs until your return to the states. (After all, what would they do based on results: administer new treatment on board? Send you home mid-cruise?) Best of luck, whatever you decide!

On Hal ships you will be given a copy of your chart, your test results and a cd with your X-rays if you request them

Terry

Also ask your MDs if they can minimize the tests as these are quite pricey. My MD cuts way back on what is tested when I sail.

Recommend you send an email to HAL thru Contact Us on their website as I usually get a good response to emails (especially compared to phone calls that need to be returned). An email might work better for you also. If you add what tests are needed, they will be better able to help you with what they can analyze on board vs. what would need to go to a shore lab.

As a retired 'health care professional' who has worked all over the world - you are so correct! The US definitely does not have the best health care - check stats like newborn survival - do not think we even make the top 25 list.

There are several reasons why the US is low on the newborn survival list, first and foremost being the way we measure newborn survival - I believe if one breath is drawn, or heartbeat detected, it is deemed a live birth - whereas in other countries, live birth is counted from for example having made it through the first day. (I have read that is why Cuba for example is relatively high on this list. It really is apples and oranges.)

Another reason is that some countries high on the list do not have the urban poverty that we have in the US - think Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cruise topic ...