Embarkation lunch on Epic?

michelle028

Normally, the MDR (as well as the buffet and O'Sheehan's) is open for lunch on embarkation day.

However, I don't think it's open when you board from Rome. But I haven't been able to verify this.

Would appreciate it if any recent Epic Med cruisers can confirm this.

Thanks!

:)

We ate at the Irish Pub on embarkation day and had an enjoyable meal. No crowds to deal with and a great place to kill time until the cabin was ready. I am not really a buffet person so this worked great for me.

Given that you can embark from one of two ports, I think it would make sense to open any dining facility that would be in use on any other day. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. On any other day (except the sea day), I probably won't care.

Edited by BamaVol

What time do you normally embark? We are boarding in Rome. My thought is to maximize our time in Rome with a nice lunch rather than rush on the ship. Any thoughts?

Civitavecchia is at least 90 minutes away from Rome by train or car. You can have lunch in Rome and then travel to the port. I'm with you as far as eating off the ship as much as possible in the Med. I would do it in a heartbeat.

I recommend Roma Sparita - Piazza di Santa Cecilia, 24, 00153 Roma, Italy

+39 06 580 0757

They are known for their Cacio e Pepe - divine!

http://foodloversodyssey.com/2010/08/cacio-e-pepe-pasta-inspired-by-roma-sparita/

and some wine, of course. Really, it's an ideal lunch for a day in Rome.

We just returned from the Epic Med Cruise ( fabulous btw) and went to Taste for embarkation lunch at around 12 Noon (Barcelona). We were seated at a window seat but the wait staff seemed off from the start. It seems there had been some rotation prior to this cruise and no one of the wait staff was sure what table numbers they were assigned. Within 10 minutes, a few other diners were seated and things seemed to settle.

It took a long time to receive the Lemon Drop Martini I ordered and it arrived rimmed in SALT!!!! I guess an easy mistake since a salt rimmer and sugar rimmer look alike but pretty shocking on my first sip. A neighboring table also had issues with their drinks.

Once the meal was served though, it was very good and frankly much more relaxed than the Garden cafe. We had the popcorn shrimp and the scallops escargot style. My husband had the salmon and I had a chicken dish. We had the orange mousse for dessert.

I am going to look at a few dailies I brought back but I do think Taste was available on the Rome port stop and for embarkation.