Internet question re Carnival Magic

jonshannon

Anyone had the $40 basic internet package on the Magic? Leaving 8/2 out of Galveston and wondering what the service is like on the basic package. Multiple staterooms and want to be able to touch base with our teenage daughter and her friend without having to physically meet up at various times when we're all doing our own thing.

Will the basic work or would we have to go up to the $99 premium?

Thanks!

Anyone had the $40 basic internet package on the Magic? Leaving 8/2 out of Galveston and wondering what the service is like on the basic package. Multiple staterooms and want to be able to touch base with our teenage daughter and her friend without having to physically meet up at various times when we're all doing our own thing.

Will the basic work or would we have to go up to the $99 premium?

Thanks!

We had the premium service on the Magic and thought it was not very fast. Would not do Skype or facetime.

I was just on the Magic 6/21/15 thru 6/28/15 and the new internet pkgs were NOT a available.

I purchased 240 mins for $89 dollars but I felt like it was robbery almost that they even sold and advertised that Internet was available.

The service was so slow (I knew in advance to expect slow service) but this was non existent practically

All I wanted to accomplish was to send and receive emails to keep in touch with my 17 yr old son at home, and I burned through a ton of the minutes that first night as I kept waiting and waiting for my emails to come up.

Sometimes I would some to come through (after waiting and burning through 20 or 30 mins of airtime) but most of the time I would just sit watching the little thing spin around that says checking for new emails.

I did find later in my cruise that I had better luck if I was down on deck 3 near guest services, but still slow.

This was all when I tried using the Internet from my AT&T iPhone.

I did try to use the computers at the Hub but Internet was same slow/ non existent as on my phone.

Someone else said they had purchased the 75 cents a minute pay as you go plan and they actually got their money refunded one of their nights because guest services acknowledged that there was no internet that night. ( no announcement was made so if you didn't go and complain I am assuming you didn't get any refund). I never went and complained and there were no refunds on my sign and sail acct for Internet outages.

Hope this will help you a bit so you will know what to expect.

I was just on the Magic 6/21/15 thru 6/28/15 and the new internet pkgs were NOT a available.

I purchased 240 mins for $89 dollars but I felt like it was robbery almost that they even sold and advertised that Internet was available.

The service was so slow (I knew in advance to expect slow service) but this was non existent practically

All I wanted to accomplish was to send and receive emails to keep in touch with my 17 yr old son at home, and I burned through a ton of the minutes that first night as I kept waiting and waiting for my emails to come up.

Sometimes I would some to come through (after waiting and burning through 20 or 30 mins of airtime) but most of the time I would just sit watching the little thing spin around that says checking for new emails.

I did find later in my cruise that I had better luck if I was down on deck 3 near guest services, but still slow.

This was all when I tried using the Internet from my AT&T iPhone.

I did try to use the computers at the Hub but Internet was same slow/ non existent as on my phone.

Someone else said they had purchased the 75 cents a minute pay as you go plan and they actually got their money refunded one of their nights because guest services acknowledged that there was no internet that night. ( no announcement was made so if you didn't go and complain I am assuming you didn't get any refund). I never went and complained and there were no refunds on my sign and sail acct for Internet outages.

Hope this will help you a bit so you will know what to expect.

You should have purchased the premium package, much better deal.

Thanks for the replies. Thought I had read somewhere that the Magic now offered "flat rate" internet packages of $40 basic $99 premium rather than per minute pricing.

Really just looking to use iMessaging to text from iPhone to iPhone via internet connection.

I was just off the ship 1 1/2 weeks ago and as of that sailing I did not see available for purchase any other plans other than the per minute pricing.

Since poster above said he purchased a premium plan maybe it is available if you ask at guest services?? Maybe they are selling it but you have ask specifically for it??

• 2 weeks later...

John Heald

The following ships are offering the NEW internet plans. We aim to complete the rest of the North American fleet by the end of 2015. Other ships not listed here still have 'by-the-minute' plans.

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest (starting July 25th)

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Elation

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory (starting July 11th)

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation