Back from WIND Sept. 3-14

kapoho2

Loved this cruise once again. Did this exact same cruise last Sept. and enjoyed it so much we booked it again. I have to add that we live on the Big Island, so the airline travel is not a big deal for us.

Yes, the ship is a bit older and smaller...but it fits like a comfortable old shoe. It is being kept up very well, and we thought that everything was better this year than last. Again, we booked an inside cabin...were assigned 5120, which was exactly the same layout as our cabin last year, which was on the 6th deck. It works well for the two of us and we have plenty of storage, etc. NCL did call us before we sailed with an upsell offer to a superior outside cabin, but we elected to stay where we were and have that $$ to spend elsewhere.

I won't go into a day by day description, but I will be happy to answer any questions.

Just a few comments on questions that I know are asked around this board.

There were 2 optional formal nights this year (one last year) and I only saw about 3 tuxes on the men.....the rest of the tuxes were worn by the crew and waiters!! Many of the women took advantage of these evening to dress to the max...but the men with them were ususally wearing a pair of slacks and a collared shirt...and maybe a tie. In other words, ANYTHING goes. Have fun and don't overpack. Hawaii is casual, and so is the ship.

We never ate at Le Bistro...we found the food in the major dining rooms more than adequate. We usually ate at the Terraces Restaurant and several times at the Four Season's for dinner. One thing I found disappointing this year is that La Trattoria Restaurant now requires reservations. We enjoyed the option of just "popping in" there last year. At the Terraces restaurant, the hostess would always say that the wait was 20 minutes, but it was usually closer to 5 minutes...just enough time for us to walk out to the lounge outside the restaurant and order a drink. Our schedule was to go to the early show and then eat....so it was later...between 8 and 8:30pm. We took breakfasts and lunches at the Sports Bar buffet and enjoyed everything. The waffles at the breakfast buffet are not to be missed....so light and fluffy and made to order.

The entertainment was great. The Jean Ann Ryan troupe always deliver. We were thrilled to see Jose and Patti back again performing each evening in the Observatory Lounge. And, there was a pianist at the coffee bar area outside the Terraces named David Swanson who performed nightly. He was outstanding. Hang around for his 10pm set...when he sings....Nat King Cole set one night, Ray Charles another.....he was packing them in!!!!

There were wonderful lectures onboard about marine life....fish, corals, whales, dolphins...we did it all.

We are very lucky that on this cruise we were able to visit Fanning Island for the 3rd time (twice on the WIND and once on the STAR). Fanning is always the highlight of our trip....we love the relaxing day on the beach...and even more enjoy the sea days coming and going to Fanning Island. We were also very lucky to have great weather, except for one wet day on the way down to Fanning, and one VERY windy, rocky day on the way back. Not a problem, as this forced us inside to enjoy all of the onboard activites. I FINALLY learned how to make those gorgeous ribbon leis!!

We saw many familiar faces from our cruise a year ago...especially on the Cruise Director's staff...and enjoyed meeting many new employees.

The passenger mix was a nice cross section of folks from all over the world. There were very few school-aged kids...but quite a few toddlers. We met folks from honeymooners to a couple who were celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary!

Please feel free to ask any question...I'd be happy to try and answer.

It is NCL's policy that any liquor purchased ashore will be confiscated and held until you disembark. Also, any liquor purchased in the duty free shop will be held until the day of disembarkation. I imagine they enforced this policy, but we did not see anyone trying to bring liquor back onboard. Don't know about soda or water, but that is probably OK to bring on. I purchased the soda card, so this was not an issue.

There are two movie channels on the TV in your cabin. There was a paper listing the movies in the cabin on the first day. I know I flipped by The Sound of Music one day. There is also a movie shown in the Stardust lounge most evenings, but this is late..about 10:15 or 10:45 pm. I know they showed I Robot...but really I did not pay much attention to any of this. We were never is the cabin long enough to watch a movie!!

What a great review! We're booked on the Wind 4/1/2006 so were glad to hear from a recent sailor! Would you mind telling me how much the soda card was? And, do they have Coke or Pepsi on the Wind? Also, do the cabins have a small fridge? Thanks:)

We did only one shore excursion through the ship...and that was the Journey to Waimea Canyon on Kauai. It was basically a bus tour, but the canyon was beautiful. What really made the day was our driver/tour guide Pete. His knowledge and sense of humor kept us entertained. We traveld through many small towns and made several stops. We really enjoyed it.

Last year we did the "Movie Tour" on Kauai, and my husband wanted to do it again this year! But, we decided on the Waimea Canyon tour which gave us an opportunity to see the other end of the island.

The soda card was $55 ($5 per day) and came out to a total of $65.54 with tax and tip. For me it is well worth it. Just show the card and they pour the coke...nothing to sign, etc. They have Coke and Sprite products...I drink diet Coke. The coke was always poured from a can. I don't know if the fountains were not working, or if they just don't have fountain drinks on the WIND. Our bar bill was still way up there, but I like to keep a diet coke handy..if only to wash down my Margarita or whatever :D .

We did not have a refridgerator in our cabin (cat J inside) but our ice bucket was always kept filled.

Have fun!

Hi kapoho2, nice to hear your review.

My husband and I were on the same sailing. As a matter a fact, I think you and I were neighbors for the week, we were in 5022 just across the hall.

I'm at work now, so I'll do a speedy mini review for now.

We had a lovely Oceanview cabin, I think category EE. It was plenty of space for us (well...the bathroom was soooo small, but tis okay) and the view was great. Nice service from the steward and company, always very friendly and accommodating. It was one of the few times in my life that I have not felt creeped out by sleeping in a "hotel" kind of bedroom. Suffice to say, nice and clean. Good food. We ate mostly at Four Seasons. We didn't care for most of the desserts. I had one really good one at the Sports Bar and Grill, it was some flambe thing, like crepes with some yummy sauce and ice cream on top. Mmmm. And the white chocolate dipped strawberries from the chocolate buffet were awesome.

We did all of our excursions through the ship, except one.

Hilo: I can't remember the name, but we went to a zoo, a mac nut farm, a "hot" spring pool, a forest place with lava trees...The tour was nice, the refreshments were nice, the driver was top notch...Sadly EVERYwhere we went was free...so I was kind of disappointed by how much we spent. No big deal, though. Learning experience I take it.

Lahaina, Maui: Bike ride down Mt Hal...not going to try to spell it and short on time....you know, the volcano in Maui. We did the bike ride down it. It was pretty awesome and would do it again though I would do it with a company that lets you go your own pace. The guy behind my husband was a moron and couldn't keep space between them, kept almost running into my husband. Totally needlessly running into him. But other than that it was really cool. The tour guides were good.

Lahaina, Maui: Later that evening we went to the Old Lahaina Luau (on our own). It was very good. Food was good, good entertainment. The service was really really good. We sat at a table and had a great view. Good time. To get to the luau, we caught a taxi at the pier and then again before the taxi even pulled into the Luau parking lot. Got back to the pier like 10 minutes after the luau was done.

Lanai, Maui: Trilogy Catamaran to Lanai. It was cool. The beach was lovely. We were given the choice to go tour the town or go to the beach and only about 12 of us went to the beach so there was practically no one there for the first hour. I got some great pictures. Snorkeling was alright, but there weren't a lot of fish.

Kauai: Kayaking up a river. One of the guides was rude. He was totally a high strung maniac. But eh. Whatever, the other guy was cool at least. The kayaking up the river was pretty cool and generally easy. Hiking through the rainforest was cool. Bugs abound, bring bug spray.

Fanning Island: Barracuda Reef Snorkle (DH) and Napali Beach Getaway (DH and myself). My husband really enjoyed the snorkle. He said it was pretty intense because the water was not totally calm and he was in the water for quite a while, but it was worth it, and there were tons of fish. A wee bit difficult getting back into the boat. The group was being spied on by some shy dolphins that were seen for a moment then only heard chattering off in the distance. Napali Beach was REALLY cool. Way neater than the other beach. Really nice. I got one of the rafts and just floated in the water. I was only feet away from my personal belongings so I didn't have to worry (much) about leaving my stuff alone on the beach.

Kona: Ocean Kayak and Snorkel...This was fun, but I think it should have been rated level 3. It was HARD to kayak back. Really. Maybe I'm just out of shape but it's a long kayak trip to the snorkel spot (which was quite nice) but the kayak trip back...so hard. Maybe we don't know how to kayak and but dang. However, it was gorgeous out there in the ocean. The rocky coast. Really lovely. Kona was really nice. We had plenty of time to walk around the town. Did lotsa shopping there. Ate some sushi off the main road that was really good and seemed way more like a local hang out (our cool kayak guide told us about it and how to get there). Surprisingly, we had some awesome coffee in Kona too.

Bah!! There's more!

Honolulu: Big Kahuna Island tour...This was cool. Highlighted by the Mac Nut Farm. The people there and there tours are great. Had a wonderful time there. Went to a neato cliff with massively strong winds, it was really cool and beautiful. And visited the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Didn't stay at the plantation long and sad to miss the "WOrld's Largest Maze" but just one of a hundred reasons to go back soon. Only disappointment was lunch...totally weak. Did not like it at all. But the other parts more than made up for it.

Okay okay. Quick and short...Maybe turned into more long and incoherent. But I hope I made enough sense to be of some help. I'll try to put names to excursions tomorrow for the ones that don't have them.

-Janae

Very enjoyable time, lots of fun. Loved all the entertainment. The crew, waiters, and cabin stewarts all pleasant. On sea days, we did most of the crafts, they were fun. Making the different lays, the beading of the fish and gecko.

We rented cars on each Island and it worked out beautifully. Did our own touring as there were 4 of us. I had searched this site before of

From Cabin 6142 inside

Very enjoyable time, lots of fun. Loved all the entertainment. The crew, waiters, and cabin stewarts all were pleasant. On sea days, we did most of the crafts, they were fun. Making the different lays, the beading of the fish and gecko also some scrapbooking and fron weaving. Loved visiting Fanning Island - Napali beach. The water was wonderful so CLEAR and warm. I also just floated. It was good to go on the first tender 7:45 am because afternoon winds did come in just as we were leaving to go to English beach for lunch.

We rented cars on each Island and it worked out beautifully. We did our own touring as there were 4 of us. I had searched this site before for ideas on how to get from the ship to the Rental Car agencies. I was confused until I found the site "hawaiidiscountcarrental.com". I e-mailed them the dates, time, type of car requested, and our name and e-mail address. That agency searched for the best rate on each island, and e-mailed me back a separate confirmation number for each car rented. I did not have to use or disclose a credit card number until standing at the car rental agency window. It worked great. On top of that we would have no problem cancelling a car, if our plans changed. We got great rates and really had fun touring and visiting different beaches.

It was a great trip, the food was terrific. We also did not visit Le Bistro, but did make reservations 3 different nights to eat at La Trav----. Each time we left we made another reservation for a time we preferred for the next evening. It was not a problem and we didn't wait once.

We enjoyed the swimming pools on board. At Kona we decided to stay on board ship and swim. We had visited Kona last year in August for 8 days.

We were flying on United. Our flight was not until after 9 pm on 9/14. We did not know what to do with our luggage, as it would not fit into a small rental car. We did not want to check it at the Aloha Towers at $5.00 a bag. So we did take it to the airport with us on the shuttle. We were SO pleased to find that UNITED is the only airline that will accept your luggage that early on the day of departure. It worked out just fine, we took the car and drove to North Shore and visited all the quaint shops at that part of the Island.

Hope the information helps. We had an excellent cruise, the ship fit us just fine. The people we met were lovely.

From Cabin 6142 inside

Very enjoyable time, lots of fun. Loved all the entertainment. The crew, waiters, and cabin stewarts all were pleasant. On sea days, we did most of the crafts, they were fun. Making the different lays, the beading of the fish and gecko also some scrapbooking and fron weaving. Loved visiting Fanning Island - Napali beach. The water was wonderful so CLEAR and warm. I also just floated. It was good to go on the first tender 7:45 am because afternoon winds did come in just as we were leaving to go to English beach for lunch.

We rented cars on each Island and it worked out beautifully. We did our own touring as there were 4 of us. I had searched this site before for ideas on how to get from the ship to the Rental Car agencies. I was confused until I found the site "hawaiidiscountcarrental.com". I e-mailed them the dates, time, type of car requested, and our name and e-mail address. That agency searched for the best rate on each island, and e-mailed me back a separate confirmation number for each car rented. I did not have to use or disclose a credit card number until standing at the car rental agency window. It worked great. On top of that we would have no problem cancelling a car, if our plans changed. We got great rates and really had fun touring and visiting different beaches.

It was a great trip, the food was terrific. We also did not visit Le Bistro, but did make reservations 3 different nights to eat at La Trav----. Each time we left we made another reservation for a time we preferred for the next evening. It was not a problem and we didn't wait once.

We enjoyed the swimming pools on board. At Kona we decided to stay on board ship and swim. We had visited Kona last year in August for 8 days.

We were flying on United. Our flight was not until after 9 pm on 9/14. We did not know what to do with our luggage, as it would not fit into a small rental car. We did not want to check it at the Aloha Towers at $5.00 a bag. So we did take it to the airport with us on the shuttle. We were SO pleased to find that UNITED is the only airline that will accept your luggage that early on the day of departure. It worked out just fine, we took the car and drove to North Shore and visited all the quaint shops at that part of the Island.

Hope the information helps. We had an excellent cruise, the ship fit us just fine. The people we met were lovely.

We were wondering whether you had a small fridge in your stateroom? I know Kapoho said the inside cabins didn't. We're booked right now in 5028. How small was the shower? My hubby is a big guy:) Were you port side or starboard? Would you have rather been on the other for cruising the islands? Thanks, Maddi

Loved this cruise once again. Did this exact same cruise last Sept. and enjoyed it so much we booked it again. I have to add that we live on the Big Island, so the airline travel is not a big deal for us.

Yes, the ship is a bit older and smaller...but it fits like a comfortable old shoe. It is being kept up very well, and we thought that everything was better this year than last. Again, we booked an inside cabin...were assigned 5120, which was exactly the same layout as our cabin last year, which was on the 6th deck. It works well for the two of us and we have plenty of storage, etc. NCL did call us before we sailed with an upsell offer to a superior outside cabin, but we elected to stay where we were and have that $$ to spend elsewhere.

I won't go into a day by day description, but I will be happy to answer any questions.

Just a few comments on questions that I know are asked around this board.

There were 2 optional formal nights this year (one last year) and I only saw about 3 tuxes on the men.....the rest of the tuxes were worn by the crew and waiters!! Many of the women took advantage of these evening to dress to the max...but the men with them were ususally wearing a pair of slacks and a collared shirt...and maybe a tie. In other words, ANYTHING goes. Have fun and don't overpack. Hawaii is casual, and so is the ship.

We never ate at Le Bistro...we found the food in the major dining rooms more than adequate. We usually ate at the Terraces Restaurant and several times at the Four Season's for dinner. One thing I found disappointing this year is that La Trattoria Restaurant now requires reservations. We enjoyed the option of just "popping in" there last year. At the Terraces restaurant, the hostess would always say that the wait was 20 minutes, but it was usually closer to 5 minutes...just enough time for us to walk out to the lounge outside the restaurant and order a drink. Our schedule was to go to the early show and then eat....so it was later...between 8 and 8:30pm. We took breakfasts and lunches at the Sports Bar buffet and enjoyed everything. The waffles at the breakfast buffet are not to be missed....so light and fluffy and made to order.

The entertainment was great. The Jean Ann Ryan troupe always deliver. We were thrilled to see Jose and Patti back again performing each evening in the Observatory Lounge. And, there was a pianist at the coffee bar area outside the Terraces named David Swanson who performed nightly. He was outstanding. Hang around for his 10pm set...when he sings....Nat King Cole set one night, Ray Charles another.....he was packing them in!!!!

There were wonderful lectures onboard about marine life....fish, corals, whales, dolphins...we did it all.

We are very lucky that on this cruise we were able to visit Fanning Island for the 3rd time (twice on the WIND and once on the STAR). Fanning is always the highlight of our trip....we love the relaxing day on the beach...and even more enjoy the sea days coming and going to Fanning Island. We were also very lucky to have great weather, except for one wet day on the way down to Fanning, and one VERY windy, rocky day on the way back. Not a problem, as this forced us inside to enjoy all of the onboard activites. I FINALLY learned how to make those gorgeous ribbon leis!!

We saw many familiar faces from our cruise a year ago...especially on the Cruise Director's staff...and enjoyed meeting many new employees.

The passenger mix was a nice cross section of folks from all over the world. There were very few school-aged kids...but quite a few toddlers. We met folks from honeymooners to a couple who were celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary!

Please feel free to ask any question...I'd be happy to try and answer.

Glad to hear Patti and Jose are back aboard. We had great fun with them in April. Bought their CD and have it ready to take on our trip to Cape Cod next week.

It was a great cruise and we enjoyed the days at sea to/from Fanning as well as the time there.

We had 7012- nice room with full window--no refrig but plenty of ice. Who's the captain these days?

The showers on the WIND are very small...with that whole shower curtain sticking to you scenario :D

Our captain was Trond Kildal. Hotel Director was Calvin Lodge. Cruise director was Sharon Escott and her assistant was Archie Archbold...I remember both of them from last year.

I even went to the little Q&A session with the Captain and he answered my question that had been nagging at us for a long time. The reason the NCL ships dock in Hilo facing in different directions (bow pointing inland or bow pointing out) is that the Hilo dock offers this flexibility and the way the ship faces on any given day is determined by what maintenance they want to do on the ship on that day! Inquiring minds want to know.....and now we do!!!

We were wondering whether you had a small fridge in your stateroom? I know Kapoho said the inside cabins didn't. We're booked right now in 5028. How small was the shower? My hubby is a big guy:) Were you port side or starboard? Would you have rather been on the other for cruising the islands? Thanks, Maddi

They are quite small. I was able to shave my legs in it though. The shower nozzle is hand held so if he needs you can always skip the shower curtain and just hold the shower head. That's what we did a lot of the time. The entire bathroom is built for serious water exposure so if water gets out of the "shower" its not a big deal.

But just keep in mind: The shower curtain really is soooo annoying. If you bring anything at all, bring something to weigh down/tape down that curtain.

just curious if ncl wind has a casino that is open in hawaii? I keep hearing different things about this. also can anyone tell me what the food was like? what did you enjoy having? is the food good or not as good as expected? do they offer chocolate milk? thanks!:rolleyes: oh and is fanning islnad just a beach place for the day? any wildlife while cruising to and from for the few days at sea?

Don't know about the chocolate mik...that's a new one. But, you could probably get milk from the buffet and probably use some of the chocolate syrup that is available for the waffles at the morning buffet and wing it!!

There is no casino on the Wind...the area for the casino is there..but used for other activities.

Fanning Island is a beach and water sports day....think of it like any other private island that cruise ships visit. We have been there 3 times now...and always enjoy it. The beaches are nice, the NCL BBQ is fun and it is just a very relaxing day at the beach...whether or not you take Napali beach excursion.

Did not see any "wildlife" while cruising down to Fanning Island, except on the ship around the bar areas..:D However, while we were anchored at Lahaina, I spent the better part of the first day watching hundreds of dolphins swimming and flipping around the ship. I thought I was going to spend the quiet day lounging by the pool..but I was at the deck railings watching the dolphins for hours. What a treat!

Archived