Adriatic Affair

Hi Linda....heres my ten pence worth!

Sibenik...lovely old town but lots of steps up to fort/castle on top of hill...we made it as far as medieval monastery garden about half way up. Nice prom with couple of cafes with free wifi.......lovely shops behind seafront in old part....big cathedral.....or you can take a trip to Krka waterfalls which we have done in the past and is wonderful!

Korcula...tender port....lovely to wander old walled town and newer areas each side..very pretty compact old town ...nice cafes with free wifi.

Bari....we did a trip to the Trulli houses in Alberobello (36 pounds each) ...its a world heritage site....Fabulous with a brilliant guide....Bari is a large town/city with beach and promenade but you would (i think) need a taxi, it seemed a long way from where the ship berthed.

It's a lovely itinerary Linda and I'm sure you will love it...we did!!!:)

Hi Linda,

I went to Koper last year and did the tour to the Postojna Caves, which personally I really enjoyed.

Also went to Venice, I've been twice now and love just wandering around the back streets and exploring, not to mention the sail in and out.

A few years ago I went to Korcula, as Jenny says a nice small town to wander round. I did that after having a tour across the island to Vela Luka, with a wine tasting stop on the way back. The destination wasn't anything special, but it was a nice way to see the island and we had a great young guide who also explained about the impact of the war on the country and how they lived now.

I think I read somewhere (fb?) that there is a mini train in Bari. I wonder if anyone has been on it and how often it runs. I think there is a big ship in with us, so could be busy.

The trip Jenny mentioned looks good, but don't usually like doing a trip on the last day especially as we have an early flight home. But I have read mixed reviews of Bari, so wonder if it would be a good idea to do a trip

[We did Koper from Majesty in May 14 and just had a wander round ourselves. Started off at what appeared to be similar to one of our car boot sales, and I bought a bag which I am still using daily, and want another one. Found a couple of bars for a beer, but didn't get wifi. At a hotel bar I had an amazing pancake with ice cream. We went back on board for dinner, but I left Ray on board and I went off to find a beach for a paddle. That is all I have in my notes.

[We did Koper from Majesty in May 14 and just had a wander round ourselves. Started off at what appeared to be similar to one of our car boot sales, and I bought a bag which I am still using daily, and want another one. Found a couple of bars for a beer, but didn't get wifi. At a hotel bar I had an amazing pancake with ice cream. We went back on board for dinner, but I left Ray on board and I went off to find a beach for a paddle. That is all I have in my notes.

Thanks Gill, we have been to Koper before. We climbed that big church tower :eek: but I don't think we shall be doing that this time :rolleyes:

We might do a trip there.

Thanks Gill, we have been to Koper before. We climbed that big church tower :eek: but I don't think we shall be doing that this time :rolleyes:

We might do a trip there.

Piran is lovely and you can get the local bus there.

I think I read somewhere (fb?) that there is a mini train in Bari. I wonder if anyone has been on it and how often it runs. I think there is a big ship in with us, so could be busy.

The trip Jenny mentioned looks good, but don't usually like doing a trip on the last day especially as we have an early flight home. But I have read mixed reviews of Bari, so wonder if it would be a good idea to do a trip

We did a trip here as there were poor reviews from the first cruise of the season. It was to the Sassi of ???. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommended it for people with walking difficulties. There are lots of steep steps and it was very hot at the beginning of June, even for me. Perhaps the Trulli house trip would be better. Spoke to people who had been and really enjoyed it plus they came back via the coast road with good views.

There is a mini train in Bari but it is a long walk to the port entrance to catch it. I didn't see any taxis within the port but that's not to say there weren't any.

If you don't want to walk or take the shuttle bus around town, you'll find mini-train tours on offer right at the dock entrance. Trenino-Tour offers 1.5-hour Bari City Tour drives around Bari's harbour, Old Town and main sights. Eventieturismo offers one-hour tours.

Taxis are also based at the dock gates. They are metered, but roundtrips to local places of interest can be negotiated separately with waiting time.

I took the paragraphs in red from here:-

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=497

Piran is lovely and you can get the local bus there.

They now do a guided sightseeing coach trip to Piran from the side of the ship. It was €20 each...more expensive than the local bus but a commentary nearly all the way to Piran about the geography, history and industries, etc in the area. The only downside was that we didn't have very long in Piran...about 2 hours.

Hi Linda....it was a morning trip to the Trulli village so we were back on board before 2 pm....cases didn't have to go out until 3 am at latest...the show was half an hour earlier that night....it all seemed to work well ....think the Gatwick passengers left at 0730 for their flight. :)

Hi,

We're cruising 10th Sept for 2 weeks. I've been reading all your posts with much interest. Has anyone done Bari on their own? If so what was it like?

Hi timid cruiser,

Welcome to Cruise Critic :) Is it your first cruise?

I should like to hear about DIY in Bari too, before I decide about the trip.

I lifted this off the ports of call part of this site....it doesn't say how to get into town from ships berth though....it seemed quite a long way to walk.

"Bari was one of our ports of call on a 7 day Adriatic cruise, and we had an enjoyable day. We wandered around characterful old town - its centerpiece is St Nicholas cathedral, complete with some St Nicholas relics. Then there's an impressive castle with an interesting museum. And you'll find lots of small art galleries, shops and cafes. Next we walked along the lungomare (or promenade), then caught a (free) bus for a 5 minute ride along the coast to the Pane and Pomodo (bread and tomato?) beach, where we spent an enjoyable couple of hours. (Though if your cruise is late september, it might be a little chilly by then for the beach). Alternatively you can take a shore excursion to the quaint houses at Alberobello."