Flying into Ft Lauderdale cruising out of miami transportation tips

Taylors

We will be cruising out of Miami this Feb, but flying into Ft. Lauderdale (Southwest) Whats the best way to get from one to the other. We are planning on arriving a couple days ahead of time. We will need a car rental, but are hoping to avoid the hefty one way rental fees by renting at one airport and returning to the other (since they are so close anyways)

This gives me suggestions for May...TY We'll be flying into Miami the day before, possibly on Delta, from Chattanooga....4 girls and 1 from Fort Worth....our annual girl trip....[emoji41] Any help on a hotel???

Edited by volmoma

We did this in June. We booked online while standing at the counter. Much cheaper. You could book ahead...we just didn't have a clue what to do until then. We went with Dollar rental as it was the cheapest. Had a nice SUV for $87 if I remember correctly.

We have the same situation this September. We are renting a car through lmtclub.com (Alamo) and I have verified that there is no fee for dropping off at MIA even though we are renting from FLL. And Alamo has a shuttle from MIA to the cruise port. HTH

I've noticed this too. However, there is a fee for one way car rentals from Miami to FLL (at least on the companies I was looking at).

I always fly into FLL when cruising out of Miami and we always get in early so we rent a car. I have never had a 1-way charge. I got a car from Alamo for our cruise on the Breeze in September for $29.39, inclusive of all taxes and fees.

Hotwire/Priceline is your friend.

I always fly into FLL when cruising out of Miami and we always get in early so we rent a car. I have never had a 1-way charge. I got a car from Alamo for our cruise on the Breeze in September for $29.39, inclusive of all taxes and fees.

We are on the Breeze in Sept also where are you see that rate for Alamo and which location are you dropping off at?

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale and leaving out of Miami, I booked a rental with Dollar from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, got a decent rate 76$ for a full size, 2 couples traveling together. For the return we booked with Budget for about 80$. There is no drop off charge but the taxes and charges are a lot. Still cheaper then the shuttle, and we are staying half way to the port and got a great rate.

Did you get that rate with price line? or direct with Alamo? Thanks

We will be cruising out of Miami this Feb, but flying into Ft. Lauderdale (Southwest) Whats the best way to get from one to the other. We are planning on arriving a couple days ahead of time. We will need a car rental, but are hoping to avoid the hefty one way rental fees by renting at one airport and returning to the other (since they are so close anyways)

If you rent with National, Alamo or Thrifty (and maybe a few others) you can drop the car at the MIA airport and ride the free shuttle to POM - that way you avoid the "excitement" :o of driving in downtown Miami.

Hertz, Avis and Budget have downtown offices close to POM - if they do not shuttle a taxi will be cheap ($10-12).

Ok, Found and booked a rental car. Not sure what my husband was looking at but we got a full size SUV (6 of us) for $170 for 2 days. Not horrible. Its with dollar. Anyone know if they have a shuttle to the port?

Now leaving the ship, we are flying out the same day. Still better to rent a car, or is a shuttle reasonable? There are 2 adults, 2 seniors, 1 teen and a toddler.

Now leaving the ship, we are flying out the same day. Still better to rent a car, or is a shuttle reasonable? There are 2 adults, 2 seniors, 1 teen and a toddler.

What time is your flight? Do you have time to mess around with a rental car? :confused: Unless your return flight leaves after about 2:00 I would not bother with a rental and just book a shuttle service (SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport) or better yet with 6 passengers plus bags I would check with Larry's Limos.

We flew into FLL on our last cruise out of Miami. We rented a car through Hertz both ways. They have a free shuttle that runs from their office downtown to POM. We were their on a Sunday so traffic wasn't bad at all. There were no extra charges for picking up and dropping off through them as well. It was nice being free to go wherever we wanted the day before the cruise and the day we got off the ship as our flight did not leave FLL until 7:30pm.

I highly recommend renting a car over a shuttle especially if you are flying jn a day or more before the cruise or have a late return flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time is your flight? Do you have time to mess around with a rental car? :confused: Unless your return flight leaves after about 2:00 I would not bother with a rental and just book a shuttle service (SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport) or better yet with 6 passengers plus bags I would check with Larry's Limos.

Thank you! We'll check into Larry's Limos. Our flight is a little after 2. But we like to hang on the ship and have a leisurely breakfast, let the crowd get off and then depart after we eat.

We did this in March. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale because the cost of the airfare was almost half than flying into Miami. We used JR Shuttles, $69 each way. There were four adults and 4 pieces of luggage and a couple of carry ons. The driver was waiting for us when we collected our baggage and brought us right to the hotel in Miami. The day we left the ship he again was waiting for us and brought us to our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I would definitely use them again. His name was Gilardo, he was very friendly and had lots of info about the areas for us.:)

I'm currently researching this too. We're flying Southwest into FLL on a Sunday and cruising out of Miami the next day. I book the Hyatt Regency in Miami today.

You can pretty much get right across the street to the Hyatt in Miami via the train systems.

Tri-rail from FLL and get off at stop called Metro-Rail Transfer system in Miami (Cost on Sunday $5 per person)

At the stop you transfer over to the Metro-rail. Cost $2.25 per person and get off at Government Center stop. Here you have two options.

1 - Your about 1 mile from the Hyatt hop in taxi for the short trip.

2 - At Government center stop is the transfer to the Metro Mover which is a free metro that goes around downtown area. Get on the Metro Mover for one stop and get off at the stop called Knight Center. Basically its across the street from Hyatt - google map it :)

Again Tri Rail first http://www.tri-rail.com/

Then Metro Rail http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrorail.asp

Then Taxi or Metro Mover http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover-stations.asp

Total cost $14.50 (on weekend) for 2 people to get from FLL airport to Hyatt in Miami

Edited by jb456

You can pretty much get right across the street to the Hyatt in Miami via the train systems.

Tri-rail from FLL and get off at stop called Metro-Rail Transfer system in Miami (Cost on Sunday $5 per person)

At the stop you transfer over to the Metro-rail. Cost $2.25 per person and get off at Government Center stop. Here you have two options.

1 - Your about 1 mile from the Hyatt hop in taxi for the short trip.

2 - At Government center stop is the transfer to the Metro Mover which is a free metro that goes around downtown area. Get on the Metro Mover for one stop and get off at the stop called Knight Center. Basically its across the street from Hyatt - google map it :)

Again Tri Rail first http://www.tri-rail.com/

Then Metro Rail http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrorail.asp

Then Taxi or Metro Mover http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover-stations.asp

Total cost $14.50 (on weekend) for 2 people to get from FLL airport to Hyatt in Miami

Wow thanks! That's awesome!