So, what is ok for formal night?

lacruisecat

Chris...the e-bay tux is a great idea. My DH bought one for our oldest son's wedding and then took it on our Triumph Cruise. It was a wonderful buy and came with shoes, vest, ties and one shirt. You can always pick up another shirt in a department store, we found them in Marshalls. His tux is a Ralph Lauren and looks wonderful on him. I must warn you your DW will want to buy lots more pics of you in the tux! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/04

Sensational Cruise from the Bayou 10/04

Oooh can I wear a kilt too...I hear you don't have to wear pantyhose (or much of anything else underneath) if you wear a kilt. I can see it now, hubby all spiffed up in a tux and me in my kilt....yeah baby!!

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

I usually try to go with the comfort thing...sweats and my favorite t-shirt. I just jazz it up a little with my signature gold sparkle house slippers. Wouldn't want to look under dressed! My DH on the other hand prefers dressing to the nines...so he wears his cleanest jeans with the least amount of holes and his favorite tank t-shirt. He likes showing off his biceps. icon_wink.gif Top it off with a new pair of workboots and we look like a million bucks!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

Sophie

This is a serious question and I thank those who answered. Sue d. Miller, I really liked your break down.

I posted on the Princess site since I will be cruiseing the Golden. I didn't post on the cruise fashion part of the board because depending on the cruise line, what is considered formal varies. I want to know from experience Princess what is acceptable on Princess.

I am not worried about mens clothing on this trip - I will be traveling solo. So, I would value opinion on women's clothing only (although maybe renting a tux would be simpler!!! haha!!).

Sue, or any other ladies - please give me your opinion

Outfit 1: Below the knee length navy dress with beautiful floral print (floral prints are very much in style this season).

Outfit 2: Black knee length skirt worn with silk blouse (solid, different color) and jewlery, stockings and black pumps. I wore an outfit like this to a reception at the Govenor's mansion for my state, so I was thinking I felt very dressy wearing it at the Govenor's mansion, it should be good enough for Princess.

I have worn formals before on a summer cruise, and they became too hot.

What do you think - will I pass "fashion muster?"

Sue, or anyone else, would value your opinion.

Lacruise cat,I am nowhere near an expert, but iI will give you my opinion. I personally do wear long gowns, because I like them. Lol. #1 and #2 will look beautiful on both formal nights. I saw several women dressed in dresses below the knee with lovely tops. Before I went to long gowns, I only wore cocktail dresses. one of my favorites, was a below knee black crepe skirt, with a silk black with white pearl beaded top. It was so comfy. LOL. Even my long gowns are comfy. Black sleeveless velvet, multi pastel gorgette, not the normal ball gown. Formal, yes, comfy, yes. Plus having the grandkids, I can't get to glamorous sometimes, they have had me trashed in seconds. lOl. Thank God they are older. You will look lovely and will not look out of place. Most important, Just be you. If you are confidant, and know your a knockout, POOF, you've got it. Have a wonderful cruise

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Oooh, Ebay? I'll have to check that out.

I have another site that sells tuxes online that I want to check out too and the idea of an expandable waistband is a real winner!

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Well I have only cruised Carnival but if things are the same on Princess then the first formal night is more formal than the second formal night. Therefore I would wear your black outfit the first formal night and the floral blue on the second. Since I don't think I will get to wear a kilt I will be wearing a tea length black linen dress with a white embroidered bodice for the first night. The second night I am wearing these black raw silk pants that are very billowy and have small gold and silver leaves printed on them. On top I will be wearing a black lace camisole with a gold matte satin jacket over that (sounds flashy but it is actually very muted). I think your outfits will be fine and I hope mine will too.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Archived