So, what is ok for formal night?

lacruisecat

I am a Princess newbie, but I have cruised several times before. On Royal Caribbean as well as the other lines I have cruised on, formal dress could be (for a woman) a very nice dress as well as a dark short skirt and a nice blouse. This is what I had planned on bringing to my Golden Cruise this summer.

I have formal wear, but since I only cruise in summer, the formal dresses were too hot.

So,can I wear what I had planned to wear?

So

I find people dress up more on Princess than on Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I have cruised on all three lines. Princess seems to be the most formal to me. Having said that a nice black dress will be fine. You will see just about everything from men in tuxes (more than on Carnival or Royal caribbean)to men in sport coats and dockers. Personally I love the formal nights and look forward to them. Don't worry to much about it you will have a great time. We love Princess.

It's been my experience that Princess is more formal than the other two lines you mention. Cocktail dresses and full length gowns seemed to be the norm rather than the exception. Still, there were a variety of styles including dressy pantsuits and nicer dresses for the women. If in doubt, hit those sales and treat yourself to something new. Above all, enjoy your cruise! icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Cruisecat,

Your question seems to be honest and sincere, so I'll give you a friendly well meaning suggestion. Not everyone sees all the little sections on this board. If you go to the cruise fashions section (it is buried in the middle of "Cruise Discussion Topics") you can describe your outfit in detail to the "Fashion Divas" and they will give you their HONEST opinions. You will not get what you are looking for on this thread - as evidenced by recent posts. Happy sailing.

Tammy

Lets see if JUST once this doesn't turn into a mideast crisis like thread. This topic had been hotly debated on two other threads this month already so maybe the air is out of that balloon.

What you are describing will be fine on Princess, there will be some people in TUX/GOWN that cost what my car did and some in clothes less formal than what you describe, you should be fine. Formal is a loose term it seems, just make a sincere attempt to dress nicely befitting the event and all will be well. I once wore *gasp* a light suit and was not thrown overboard.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

When suitcase room is at a premium or if you aren't the type to really covet true formal wear, I have found that a very simple, well cut black knit dress with dressy accessories (shoes, bag, wrap, and a necklace or earrings to die for) always get me through. The most important thing, however, is a diva attitude. It never lets you down no matter what you have on your back! icon_wink.gif

Glad you asked this question. I have just booked us on the Grand for a 7day r/t NY fall colors cruise. I am really excited, as I did this as a surprise for my husband's 60th bday. We hope to have a number of friends join us. WE have sailed on several other line, but not Princess. Am I correct in assuming that there will be only 1 formal night for a 7 day cruise? Am I also correct in assuming that there are always other dining options, should we not want to dress up?

Thanks in advance for the info! Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2003;7;5;14;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Until we board the Regatta

There will be 2 formal nites on the Grand. The "suggested" formal nite dress is also for the PC dining rooms as well as traditional , and the alternative dining rooms as well. Horizon court can be casual, and you can order anything on the dining room menu through room service. Have a wonderful cruise, and happy birthday to hubby.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess

October 24, 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by srphnx:

Formal is a loose term it seems<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

icon_rolleyes.gif

Umm..yeah, actually it's not.

If I may add this for the men and women who sincerly want to know how the passengers dress on formal night. about 50% of men wear tux's, and 49% wear suits. More than 70% of women wear long dresses. About 35% wear cocktail dresses. The other 5% wear sunday dress. While it is true, there are wealthy passengers on board that may be able to wear an outfit that is worth a car, I assure you, they look beautiful, but are in the minority. The majority of us addicted cruisers, rent or buy a tux for $100-200 on sale or on ebay. The women are bargain hunters, I love ebay, and I feel look just as good as the expensive, and certainly more comfortable.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess

October 24, 2004

Sue D... do you have a spy program on my PC?

I don't know about 50% of men in Tuxes, does that count the waiters? LOL I will be able to report again in 7 days!!!!

I just my newest ebay tux this morning I agree there will be only a few people in car level clothes but have seen some cruisers in jewelry straight out of the royal vault. One British couple I met cruised once a month and they had a servant with them to hold up the poor ladies left hand due to the soccerball sized diamond on it.

We cruise up to four times a year so money is spent of fares not fancies. Thanks for all your fun contributions.

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

You are right Srphnx. I have met a few also and they were very nice. The ones I like are the ones with no hangup about money. No snooties for me. But a few had so many diamonds and gold, that their bodies had a hard time holding it all up. I can't wait for your review. I do traditional, and there were so many tux's that week, I was impressed. They are so sexy. Hubby did it once to please me. Lol. Now he gives me dirty looks cause he knows what I am thinking. I would just rather save where I can, and spend on my family. Have a great cruise. PS I have my flame retardant suit on.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess

October 24, 2004

Just got off the Golden (today).

For the men, I'd say a little less than 50% wore a Tux. The rest a jacket and pants, about 75% wore a tie, the rest just a collar.

I have been on RCCL 3 times prior to this, my first on princess and I'd have to disagree - I do not thin Princess is more formal. There was definately more (more like 75%) of men in a tux last year. I think it's getting less and less every year on all ships though (shame).

I saw people being turned away with no collar so the collar was the key. 99% of the Women wore cothing more than suitable for a formal night, i.e. all seemed to have made a great effort to want to look great - and succeeded.

<applet codebase="http://*************/java-sys" height="25" width="203" code="countdown.class">

<PARAM NAME="font" VALUE="lcdb0"><PARAM NAME="month" VALUE="4"><PARAM NAME="hour" VALUE="17"><PARAM NAME="year" VALUE="2004"><PARAM NAME="day" VALUE="03">

</applet>

Princess - Golden (April 3rd 2004)

RCCL - Navigator (June 2003)

RCCL - Explorer (April 2002)

RCCL - Voyager (June 2001)

Carnival - Paradise (Dec/Jan 1999/2000 Millenium Cruise)

Big Red Boat icon_smile.gif (1997)

7bdolph.gif

I bought a tux a couple of years ago. Shirt , shoes everthing for about $175.00. Cheap tux with adjustable waist (a must). I was surprised how many wore a tux on our Carnival cruise last year, some pretty colorful ones too.

Roger - Caribbean Princess -May 15, 2004.

Marco Polo 1999

Sensation 2001

Galaxy 2002

Pride 2003

After last month's Golden cruise and with two more Princess cruises booked for this year I am now in the Tux market.

I've always worn a nice business suit and felt quite comfortable. I did not feel out of place last month on the Golden but I think a Tux would be more appropriate.

I'll stick with black though

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

Chris,

There are some very decent quality tuxes on ebay, the guy lucky89 or whatever in NY is a very helpful fella and they are just over $100 everything but shoes.

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

Thanks, Chris. I wrote it down. Lol. It's at 5pm right? I have sticky notes all over the place. Well everyone will starve to death. I am watching it. Wouldnt miss it for anything. I know!!!!!! I'll set all the alarm clocks here to go off at 4:45. that will work. Did you tell you wife to take a fly swatter to keep all the ladies from stealing you? It won't be pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

7 days on Star Princess

October 24, 2004

Archived