July 4-11 on the Adventure of the Seas

Just this past weekend, we finished our 5th cruise on the Adventure of the Seas- this time a different itinerary from the previous 4.

Our trip was preceded by a week in Ponce, but not at a hotel- so no review of staying in Puerto Rico. Just to say that painting a roof in the middle of the day is hot. And worse when you find out that the roof still leaks... :o

Anyway.

Getting on the ship was a little hecktic- we had this on one previous trip when weather prevented the crew from quickly getting stuff and passengers off the previous cruise. This time we figured out why after the captain's post Muster drill message where he clearly asked people to wash their hands to prevent gastro problems. Ok....

(yes, we did get some symptoms, but we also are aware that Noro circles Puerto Rico- since we've gotten it on previous non-cruising trips- not bad, but enough to be not happy the last day at sea)

To us, the ship still looks great. Just like when we last sailed her in December. Maybe we are not picky enough for others. :D

Didn't eat in the MDR nor WJ for this trip- so you'll have to get info from someone else for the current status. Giovanni's was really great- where we ate the first night using our BOGO D+ coupon. The rest of the week was between a suite dinner (we were in a GS) and combinations of the lounges and various snack places.

We did get served quite well in both the Concierge and Diamond Lounges. Ryno was the main Concierge while Sucelle (sp?) was the Diamond Concierge. Both were great to see again.

Shows- this was the 5th time we saw the ship's shows. And we still like them. Guest shows were pretty good, too- but I know they change all the time- we had a ventriloquist, a late night comedian, and Olympic gymnast as guest entertainers.

What was different, which we have not done for a while, where the islands.

In St. Croix, we ran to Sandy Point- all the way out to the sandy point, and back. Good thing we stayed on the water, as it's turtle season, so the area was actually closed. The nests are a little in, which could be seen with sticks in the ground, but we stayed along the water. Great day- and it was cool to have a pair of stingrays follow us out and back.

St. Maarten- we finally swam with the dolphins over on Anguilla. Very cool. Expensive, yes, and the area is pretty wavy, being right next to the Atlantic. Plus the ride over is rough. But all in all, very worth the effort.

Antigua- Eco Kayak and snorkel. Nice. Start with a kayak around some of the small islands on the east part of Antigua, and then a short trip to an island, hike up the hill, and back down for a snorkel. Not expensive, and pretty quick. Can do in the afternoon, which is nice to sleep in. (side note- in the morning, we walked around, and every 5 feet, someone was asking if we needed a taxi. As if we didn't hear the guy behind us who just asked us the same question).

St Lucia- did nothing but wander around. All the way over to the shopping area on the other side of the bay. Saw the town's square and everything.

Barbados- did the turtle/ship wreck snorkel + beach. Very cool to see the turtles and the sunk ships. But darned crowded with other people. And a turtle was accidentally kicked by a fellow cruiser. Here's what was interesting- it was within a mile of the ship. Along a public beach. Yes, a little way from shore- but if you were a good swimmer, you could easily snorkel out from the shore for both spots we did. A quick taxi ride from the ship would drop you right there- one of the fellow cruiser's families did that exact thing, and half were still on the beaches we faced when in the water. Good excursion, but one that is VERY possible DIY.

All in all, including the very mild noro related symptoms we got, we had a great time. Again. :)

I'll be getting on the week after you (aug 1st). Can't wait!

Thanks for the tips and the review. Did you find the weather to be significantly rainy? Weather apps show daily rain but trip advisor reports are saying st kitts and Puerto Rico are in a drought (affecting the waterfalls for instance). Just curious as a recent cruiser on adventure said his weather app also showed daily rain but that in reality it only rained twice.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Thanks for the review. We'll be on Adventure in December and reading reviews is helping me get through these final months of waiting... [emoji5]️

Didn't eat in the MDR nor WJ for this trip- so you'll have to get info from someone else for the current status. Giovanni's was really great- where we ate the first night using our BOGO D+ coupon. The rest of the week was between a suite dinner (we were in a GS)...

We will also be in a GS. What is the suite dinner??

I'll be getting on the week after you (aug 1st). Can't wait!

Thanks for the tips and the review. Did you find the weather to be significantly rainy? Weather apps show daily rain but trip advisor reports are saying st kitts and Puerto Rico are in a drought (affecting the waterfalls for instance). Just curious as a recent cruiser on adventure said his weather app also showed daily rain but that in reality it only rained twice.

For what we are used to going down, no, it was not rainy at all- one quick downpour in Antigua, and that was it. Even the pass that ALWAYS rains when we drive over it in Puerto Rico was dry.

Even so- of our many trips- unless it's a hurricane, the daily rain is small bursts that happens and goes away. You can see blue skies, downpour, blue skies and overcast in an hour.

We didn't go the rainforest in Puerto Rico- so I don't know what it's doing.

Thanks for the review. We'll be on Adventure in December and reading reviews is helping me get through these final months of waiting... [emoji5]️

We will also be in a GS. What is the suite dinner??

There was a dinner hosted by the captain and the crew up in the Windjammer. It was pretty cool- we sat with some officers and talked with them the whole time. This isn't the Captain's table- which was held as well- not sure who got invited.

When you say you "ran" did you actually run? If so, did you run on any other islands? Any suggestions for good runs? I would like to get a few miles in on the islands.

Yes, really ran. It was just under 2 miles on the shore/road to the park. Tried to run on the beach, but the sand was too steep.

I think we thought about running on the other islands, but didn't.

Barbados would not be hard- you can exit the port, follow the road into the city- which is mostly along the water- just a small area with buildings. Next time we are there, we will probably run down to the beaches and back.

We've run in St. Marten before- not much space- but you can get a few miles running to town, and around to the other side of the bay and back.

We've also run in St. Lucia- kind of wandering around the city, and then on the road out of town up the hill. Again, narrow sidewalks mostly- but doable.

There was a dinner hosted by the captain and the crew up in the Windjammer. It was pretty cool- we sat with some officers and talked with them the whole time. This isn't the Captain's table- which was held as well- not sure who got invited.

Thanks for the info! That sounds great & we are looking forward to it!

We had just disembarked on 7/4 and I am not surprised about the late embark. We were group 15 to disembark and did not get off the ship and through customs until almost 11 am. We did indeed have a gastro issue (not us personally) the previous week so there may have been some deep cleaning going on. As soon as we saw the team in the WJ change out the tongs frequently we knew what was up. From that time we did not eat at the buffet because I am a chicken. They ran commercials on the TV about washing hands and urged guests to report if they were sick. Thought that it was handled well.

Glad you had a nice cruise.

Awesome thanks for the info...I am hoping to get some good running in.

Yes, really ran. It was just under 2 miles on the shore/road to the park. Tried to run on the beach, but the sand was too steep.

I think we thought about running on the other islands, but didn't.

Barbados would not be hard- you can exit the port, follow the road into the city- which is mostly along the water- just a small area with buildings. Next time we are there, we will probably run down to the beaches and back.

We've run in St. Marten before- not much space- but you can get a few miles running to town, and around to the other side of the bay and back.

We've also run in St. Lucia- kind of wandering around the city, and then on the road out of town up the hill. Again, narrow sidewalks mostly- but doable.

Thanks for the report. I'll be watching everything Adventure related for the next 650 days at least :cool:

I was in Ponce may years ago on business. For awhile there was rumors of adding a cruise ship port there.

Awesome thanks for the info...I am hoping to get some good running in.

If it helps, we enjoy running in San Juan. Run up to the fort, and then follow the grass around the perimeter, that's a mile. Then stay along the water (past the other fort) all the way to the bridge (past the beach area and the hotels)- I think it's another mile or two, then we cross to the Condado for another mile. Back to the middle of Old San Juan through one of the main roads. It's pretty nice. Hot. But nice.

It's also pretty close to the run when a half-Iron Man did an even in San Juan.

Thanks for the report. I'll be watching everything Adventure related for the next 650 days at least :cool:

I was in Ponce may years ago on business. For awhile there was rumors of adding a cruise ship port there.

The port area has been very built up- for container ships. Someday, there may even be ships that go there.... :eek:

We have seen one cruise ship there- but there's not a whole lot to see or do in Ponce. The nicer beaches are 45 min away, and the tourist things are ok.... It's more a place of work than tourism. I guess since it works as a day trip from San Juan- it would work as a short cruise stop. IF the Ponce Playa area was more built up- THAT would be a good place to hang out- right next to the port.

Oddly enough, the more we go, the more time we spend just in Ponce. Too many things that have to get done.

You read my mind...I've been on google maps planning my runs. We are in San Juan 3 nights before our cruise and the fort looks like an amazing place to run. We are staying at La Concha....very excited.

If it helps, we enjoy running in San Juan. Run up to the fort, and then follow the grass around the perimeter, that's a mile. Then stay along the water (past the other fort) all the way to the bridge (past the beach area and the hotels)- I think it's another mile or two, then we cross to the Condado for another mile. Back to the middle of Old San Juan through one of the main roads. It's pretty nice. Hot. But nice.

We have seen one cruise ship there- but there's not a whole lot to see or do in Ponce. The nicer beaches are 45 min away, and the tourist things are ok.... It's more a place of work than tourism.

That's the way I remember it, but it was the last 80s. I use to have 2 customers there. Wrigleys (the gum people) and Baxter Travenol who made medical tubing.

You read my mind...I've been on google maps planning my runs. We are in San Juan 3 nights before our cruise and the fort looks like an amazing place to run. We are staying at La Concha....very excited.

Running in San Juan is awesome! I only went once (from the Caribe Hilton to El Morro and back) but it remains one of my favorite runs. Hot, but beautiful!!! I hope to make it out when we are back in December.