Express tours Belize

dramaqueenjan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we visited shark alley last December. We used shore exercusions.

it was okay, not something i would do again. We did the little flight over. This did not feel all that safe because no seat belts worked, and I felt like the plane was very overloaded.

We only saw one shark, and it was the one the guide went and found.

Our cruise is in December. I was planning to book with the cruise line, but I'd love to be in a smaller group. It's our first cruise and I'm a little concerned about getting back on time.

We book through independents and always made it back in time. That said you should choose what will be comfortable for you. You should enjoy your day out and about without worry.

I decided to go with Coral Breeze because they only require a deposit while Belize Express Tours requires full payment. Coral Breeze also has great reviews on trip advisor...so here's hoping I made the right choice. I guess I'll know it about 2 1/2 weeks. :)

I decided to go with Coral Breeze because they only require a deposit while Belize Express Tours requires full payment. Coral Breeze also has great reviews on trip advisor...so here's hoping I made the right choice. I guess I'll know it about 2 1/2 weeks. :)

Please let us know how it goes! I hope you have an amazing time.

• 1 month later...

We just took Belize Express Tours to Caye Caulker for snorkeling the reef, visiting shark ray alley and feeding tarpon. I had tried to book a tour ahead of time but all tour companies said they were completely booked. So, when we got off the ship in Belize City we visited the various tour company stands and were told that Belize Express was the only operator going to Caye Caulker that day.

We were told that the boat left at 10:00 am, but the operator waited around to get as many people as possible. I think there were 28 on our trip. The boat was about half open air and half covered cabin. It took about 45 minutes to get to Caye Caulker where we were fitted with snorkeling gear. For those that wanted/needed life jackets they were provided the basic orange life jackets not snorkeling type life jackets. There seemed to be several beginner snorkelers on our trip, I would say that the situation is not ideal for beginners, however everyone seemed to enjoy the experience.

There is not really a good place to store your clothes, camera, etc. on the boat so be sure to bring a water resistant bag of some type. We just left our stuff on the seat of the boat and it got moved around a lot since people were climbing all over to get in and out of the boat, make room for those coming aboard, etc. And, of course, we were all dripping wet! We didn't lose anything but I should have planned ahead.

We were divided into groups of about 7 people, each lead by a guide around the reef. We weaved through and around beautiful coral, saw schools of fish, saw large and small fish. This was one of the best snorkeling spots I have seen in the Caribbean during the past 5 years, and I have snorkeled all over, including Roatan and Mexico.

We snorkeled for about 45 minutes then returned to the boat. There was punch, rum punch and lots of fresh fruit (bananas, watermelon, pineapple) to snack on. We then headed to shark ray alley. This is a grassy/sandy area where nurse sharks and sting rays come to feed (and are fed by tour leaders). There were lots of rays and several nurse sharks. A fun experience.

We then went back to Caye Caulker and were on our own for about an hour and a half. Belize Express does not have bathrooms and we were not able to find any public facilities so you need to buy a drink or food at a restaurant to use their bathrooms. But the island is very picturesque and we enjoyed our time there.

We then got back on the boat and stopped along the way to feed the huge tarpon that congregate near an underwater cave on the back side of the island. My children both held a little fish over the water until tarpon leapt out of the water to swallow it. Very exciting! But my daughter did end up with minor scratches on her hand and wrist. Both of my children loved it!

Since storm clouds were approaching we had a very speedy ride back to the cruise dock. The captain and crew were very aware of time and we arrived back in plenty of time to get back on the ship.

We loved the trip! The crew members were fun and entertaining and did their best to make the trip a fun experience.

• 1 month later...