Heart set on Coki Beach but...

sunshinestyle

We have been to St. Thomas before and have been to Megan's and Sapphire so this time I really have my heart set on visiting Coki during our stop in port this September. However, I know there will be 3 cruise ships in port that day. I've read it can get really crowded because it is a small beach. I have also read that if you set up your camp farther down the crowds will be less. Does farther out mean to keep walking left or right once I hit the water? Should be arriving by 11 or so. What has been your experience with Coki when there are several ships in port???

Many thanks!:)

Facing the water at Coki Coral World will be to your right and to get to the less crowded part of the beach walk to your left. There is some pretty good snorkeling along the rocky shore down there.

It is hard to gauge how crowded any particular beach will be because the ships often point people to certain beaches and some have deals with certain beaches. Generally Magens, Coki and Sapphire get crowded. There are lots of other beaches that the ships seem to ignore such as Smith Bay Beach, and Emerald Beach

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald) offers a hotel with amenities available but no snorkeling, while Smith Bay (Lindqvist Beach) offers snorkeling but very few amenities.

I'd stick with Coki even though it will be busy by the time you get there. It's just a livelier vibe than Sapphire, more comparable to the busier section of Magens on any given day except Coki offers snorkeling, Coral World, and multiple vendors.

Can't check the port schedules since we don't have your ship and port dates but hopefully other folks will be heading out 2 - 3 hours after you arrive because they're leaving port earlier?

Thanks o2b@cagain! We are going to try our luck :-)

We were just there last month on the Oasis. We were in port at 10am so it was probably 45 minutes later when we got to Coki. No trouble getting a nice spot. Yes, it does get crowded but I love it there anyway. Chairs are $5 to rent and they have food & drink service right on the beach. There are bathrooms and also a gift shop and umbrellas to rent if you want shade.

Enjoy!!

Sunshine: If you have children who want to see marine life, the combination of Coki and Coral World cannot be beat. :) September is a quiet time of the year, even if there are three ships.

3 ships are the same in Sept and March! LOL

But as long as you aren't looking for a quiet spot you will love it!

Oh thanks marie51 for your input. Did you set up camp on the opposite end from coral world?

When we got out of the cab a guy greeted us and asked if we needed lounge chairs and we said yes. We walked right down to the beach and he set up our chairs right there in front of the water. Coral World was a ways down the beach but we did not go there.

Yes, it gets crowded but there's room for everybody.

First picture is Coral World in the background(white dome), second is my 2 sons and grandson.

IMG_3141.jpg.a4c63493b79681da9f3e8c037bca7096.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg.9237061756e75989b5883758c0c52816.jpg

We will be there the end of October. Only ship in port that day. We are on Freedom and was wondering what pier we are at and how much a taxi ride to Sapphire Beach will cost?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Freedom parks at Havensite Mall. Sorry, I don't know about fare to Sapphire.