dress code on thomson celebration

baz383

Hi,

I am joining the celebration at Bridgetown Barbados next February and was wondering about the dress code for meals, I am a first time cruiser and was wondering if I need a dinner jacket or suit for things like captains dinners and the such like if they exist ? if we have to take such things am I allowed to purchase extra luggage and if so how much.

thanks

Baz

Thomson Celebration.

Yes, Thomson is very traditional in some ways.

And that includes formal nights in the main dining room. One, possibly two formal nights per week. Even in the Caribbean, ladies like to wear their finery and a high proportion of guys wear DJs, though there'll be plenty wearing dark suit or blazer & slacks with collared shirt & tie.

A photo with the captain usually involves a queue - if you don't want, simply by-pass.

The first formal dinner is usually preceded by captain's reception, probably in the Broadway showlounge, where he introduces the senior crew. Free canapés (usually thin on the ground) and a free drink or two. Whether the reception is worth attending depends very much on the charisma of the captain - some are fun & some are a dismal & boring waste of time. Worth attending as a first-timer, then make your own mind up.

Some folk duck out of formal nights entirely by dining in the Lido buffet on those evenings - no dress code there beyond no bare feet or chests.

Other evenings in the MDR long trousers & a collared shirt or polo is the norm., much like dining in a restaurant at home. No need for jacket or tie.

I don't know about excess luggage - these are charter flights so that might not be possible.

But you should have no difficulty in staying within limits, you'll need no warm clothing or beach towels, and make good use of your hand baggage allowance.

T-shirts, shorts & flip-flops are the norm. daytime & ashore. Just persuade she-who-must-be-obeyed that she doesn't need six pairs of shoes for each day :D

Do take a light waterproof, although totally wet days are unusual there are often short sharp warm showers. Very refreshing in the heat. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Thomson is a line not very familiar to the majority of CC members, as we are from North America. But there is a board here just for Thomson, as there are boards for the other cruise lines. It can be found on the main boards page, under Cruise Lines P-Z. Lots of experienced Thomson cruisers there. EM

Also, if you haven't already check out Thompson cruises own website. They should have a FAQ page or similar and outline the amount of formal nights, what is acceptable formal gear etc. But hopefully you'll also get some first hand info from the dedicated Thompson forums here on CC!!

And we aren't all from the USA here, there's a large British following as well as a heap of Canadians and a even a good healthy sprinkle of Aussies like yours truly!!

Enjoy your first cruise, hopefully like all of us here it will not be your last!! [emoji3][emoji5]️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan