Why is Carnival forever changing it's on board experiences?

People with higher disposable incomes have a tendency to enjoy dressing respectfully at meals, enjoy slow and extended conversations, enjoy live music, in the appropriate areas, and peaceful relaxing on deck, without blaring music. They also have a tendency to expect parents to be parents, and children to act and behave appropriately at meals and shows.

Those items are not mystical. They exist. Not on Carnival, but they do exist.

So, I guess what you're saying is people with less money aren't sophisticated enough to dress nice, carry on an intelligent conversation, or keep their kids in check. Nor do they like peace and quiet.

What a load of tripe.

So, I guess what you're saying is people with less money aren't sophisticated enough to dress nice, carry on an intelligent conversation, or keep their kids in check. Nor do they like peace and quiet.

What a load of tripe.

No. Many miss what a cruise used to be. :mad:

I went on an Alaskan cruise 15 years ago and repeated the same cruise on virtually the same week last year at less cost than the first time. This time we had obstructed ocean view in place of inside cabins on essentially the same ship with the same cruise line. I feel that cruising is still a great bargain. What has gone up for me is all the other things attached to cruising - airplane flights, overnight hotels, parking, meals on shore - that is what makes the price increase.

Good for you. Yep, there are still bargains out there, but in general, the price has, and continues, to slowly climb, not to the point that it is a deal breaker yet though. I agree that cruising remains a bargain, at least with Carnival... some of the higher end lines, not so much. And yes, air fare has escalated beyond what it mandated by inflation and cost of living. I saw an article about that just the other day. Airlines had a banner year, at our expense. I stick with Southwest, when possible, like Carnival, their prices are still reasonable and often remarkably low. For example, my wife and I have Southwest Flights for our upcoming cruise out of Port Canaveral. Tickets were $49 each, both ways, out of Atlanta. So like your Alaskan cruise, bargains are still out there for flying too.

What a load of tripe.

Not all, but if you read long enough, patterns emerge. Just like not all rich kids behave, but they are most likely be reprimanded faster. Check out the school districts, and I can go on and on with it. Go to K-mart, and than shop at Macy's next. You will see a difference, and particular with kids.

Anyone can dress nice, but the ongoing conversations on the Carnival board continues to state that how one dresses does not matter, because it's my vacation, and I can do what I want. Generally speaking those that think they can do what they want, not only dresses down, but it boils over onto the rest of the ship.

So the more people that read this, will always get the impression of what kind of atmosphere they get with their money.

The ships that cost more money has a tendency to have less issues.

Why is it that Carnival has the most "restrictive" policies with their beverages? As a company, they know their customers and create rules to cut down on certain behaviors. But yet more cruise companies, and river cruises have "all inclusive" beverage packages for every guest included in their fare. Those cruise lines have something in common. They cost a lot more. But they don't worry about behavior issues.

People with higher disposable incomes have a tendency to enjoy dressing respectfully at meals, enjoy slow and extended conversations, enjoy live music, in the appropriate areas, and peaceful relaxing on deck, without blaring music. They also have a tendency to expect parents to be parents, and children to act and behave appropriately at meals and shows.

Wow. Just wow. You obviously don't judge people much, do you?

The experience keeps changing because no one wants to do the same thing over and over and over. The industry has to keep things fresh and exciting to keep people returning. No one goes on vacation with children to dress up every night and have a 3 hour dinner. Maybe it IS time for CCL to have an adult-only dining room so people can stop complaining about parents raising their children. Heaven forbid you hear a baby cry, see a child waiting in-between courses playing on an iPad, or, gasp, see a group of kids running. At least you could have a quiet meal in your own little fantasy world. Jeesh.

Fixed it for you: "People with higher disposable incomes have a tendency to perceive themselves as enjoying dressing respectfully at meals, enjoying slow and extended conversations, enjoying live music, in the appropriate areas, and peacefully relaxing on deck, without blaring music. They also have a tendency to expect parents to be parents, and children to act and behave appropriately at meals and shows." :-)

But seriously, I have to question your last sentence. I see ZERO evidence of that. They may expect it of other parents, but I think they somehow see themselves as exempt from it, in general. Of course there are exceptions to everything. Perhaps you are a wonderful parent and a strict disciplinarian, in spite of evidence that you might be a bit of an elitist. If so, good for you. But I have to say, and this goes across the board, that it seems most folks have higher standards for other parents than they do themselves.

Personally I like a lot of the more traditional cruise aspects that are falling to the wayside (fixed seating, dressing for dinner to indicate one is not at Applebee's, but is in fact in a special environment etc.).

Well said :)

Edited by summersigh