Why is Carnival forever changing it's on board experiences?

We have all seen the changes on Carnival over the years and I'm not talking about the ones that are attributed to "cost savings".

The one I am most happy with is the change to the dress codes and I hope they continue to be more and more relaxed for a whole variety of selfish reasons.

I also love the fact that Carnival is becoming more and more a "family" experience for all ages and no longer caters exclusively to an older crowd (who, in my mind, are looking for a return to a mythical cruising era which no longer exists).

Are there other things that are more enticing to you and your families that are changes in the experience from a decade or two ago.

Firstly, when did Carnival ever cater only to the "older crowd?" It's my impression they are trying to escape the shackles of being perceived as catering to a young party crowd (which has never been the case, except maybe on short weekend cruises). But yes, there have been and continue to be lots of changes. Some of it is bottom line related, while much is simply an effort to avoid becoming stale. All business changes and adapts, if it wants to stay in business. As for my personal likes and dislikes regarding Carnival changes, I like most of the 2.0 additions and dislike the move away from live music and real props in the shows. I miss the Grand buffet, but certainly understand why it was canned. Most changes are minor and I am neutral about, things like changes to the loyalty program and past guest party, FTTF, and what you can and can't carry aboard. I dislike the slowly escalating price of cruising, but hey, that's simply a product of inflation and the forever increasing cost of living. They have to keep up to stay afloat. I understand it, but wish it were otherwise. Honestly, I don't think there have been any drastic changes in my fourteen years of cruising. To me, the show changes have been the single largest cutback.

I agree, I don't think Carnival has ever catered to an "older crowd". I think Carnival has been trying very hard to get rid of it's party boat, booze cruise image. I think in the eyes of some people it will alway have that image, but in the eyes of new cruisers it does seem like they are getting more people to come back and try them again or try Carnival for the first time. So I think it's working.

As far as the changes. I can live with what's been changed. No chocolates, not being invited to past guest party, no midnight buffet. None of these things will ruin my vacation and none of these things will cause me to not cruise in the future.

Why do the continue to change their onboard experience? I think it's to keep their brand fresh. I think when the did the 2.0 upgrades and they brought on the DJ on the lido they really did think the customers would really "like" that. But now, if you follow John Heald, he is asking more and more questions about bands and music. It's all research about what we actually do want on our vacation. I think you'll see it change. :)

We have all seen the changes on Carnival over the years and I'm not talking about the ones that are attributed to "cost savings".

The one I am most happy with is the change to the dress codes and I hope they continue to be more and more relaxed for a whole variety of selfish reasons.

I also love the fact that Carnival is becoming more and more a "family" experience for all ages and no longer caters exclusively to an older crowd (who, in my mind, are looking for a return to a mythical cruising era which no longer exists).

Are there other things that are more enticing to you and your families that are changes in the experience from a decade or two ago.

"No longer caters exclusively to an older crowd."

Was this the Carnival from an alternate dimension?

Especially people who cruise frequently get tired of the same onboard experiences. That is one reason they change. Another big reason is to compete with other cruise lines such as RCCL and NCL. I agree with the others though. I've been cruising Carnival since 1996 and have never thought Carnival caters more to an older crowd. You must be thinking of Holland America. HAL is owned by Carnival Corporation and their passenger base is decidedly older than any other cruise line I've been on--and I've been on many.

I like Carnival's 2.0 upgrades and them moving ships to give people who cruise out of close-to-home ports an opportunity to experience different ships. I dislike Carnival's move away from live music and their smoking policy which needs to move smokers completely outside.

With Camp Carnival evolving into Camp Ocean and the addition of Dr. Seuss and waterworks and slides Carnival has always been family friendly IMO.

Carnival has never been considered to cater to the "older crowd" ... it's always been the party line in most people's minds. In fact, around the industry CCL has been known for it's buckets of beer, hairy chest contests, and a noisy crowd with zillions of kids running around. (not my thoughts - just repeating what I hear bantered about other boards)

That being said many of the "older crowd" chooses CCL because of good itineraries or good prices or convenience of the home ports. How long do you think a cruise line, in this day and age, would survive without the "older crowd" sailing during the time school is in session for the "younger crowd"?

Edited by summersigh

ALL cruise lines do and have to change in order to keep their product fresh and stay in tune with the ever-changing wants of their customers. How boring would they be if they were always the same old thing. For me, I am ready for the onboard activities to be given a major shakeup. Personally I like a lot of the more traditional cruise aspects that are falling to the wayside (fixed seating, dressing for dinner to indicate one is not at Applebee's, but is in fact in a special environment etc.) but am accepting that that approach is rapidly disappearing (and no, I am not a crusty old retiree, I am a very youthful 43, thank you). It is certainly not enough of an issue to keep us from cruising, just a personal preference.

I too do not believe Carnival ever catered to an older crowd. The activities used to be even more juvenile than some of the current ones. Stuffing fruit down your swimsuit, men running around in nightgowns etc.

OP, when you say "mythical cruising era," are you referring to the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries? That was the golden age of cruising. Or are you referring to some other time period? And why do you think it's mythical? As for your statement that Carnival will never return to that "mythical" era of cruising, well, of course it won't. But I don't think that more than a hand full are foolish enough to think it will. Do folks gripe when something they are accustomed to is taken away, or changed? Yes. It's human nature. But as long as the Carnival Product remains comparable to what their customers are accustomed to getting, loyal customers aren't going to forsake them. If they start taking away major things, while simultaneously raising prices beyond what inflation dictates, all bets are off.

I also don't think Carnival has ever catered to an older demographic!

Ain't we got fun campaign was not for the older folks!

Mythical?? We have found that having some decorum, manners & class to be good traits.

This current generation wants it all their way & it doesn't seem society is better off for it, at all.

Yes, a business must stay fresh, increase profits & attract more customers.

All of the changes are made with that in mind.

Does everyone like these changes, no, but if they want to cruise Carnival they must adapt.

As far as their "competition", we do not personally think they have any!

RCCL & NCL are often compared, but from our experience they are superior products.

Especially when you like the suite life. They offer many more choices than Carnival in our opinion.

In our short 5 year span, we have seen many changes we dislike:

Live music to nearly nothing, Show bands/orchestra gone, Steakhouse raised from $25 to $35, extremely gouging alcohol pricing, loyalty program changes, smoking area changes, suite perks are near nil, etc....

We have seen nothing changed that we like yet, and are pretty sure we won't ever! the only thing they have going for them to keep us sailing them is offering us really, really great rates and then we book. No offer no book here.

Edited by silvercrikhix

Carnival has never been considered to cater to the "older crowd" ... it's always been the party line in most people's minds. In fact, around the industry CCL has been known for it's buckets of beer, hairy chest contests, and a noisy crowd with zillions of kids running around. (not my thoughts - just repeating what I hear bantered about other boards)

That being said many of the "older crowd" chooses CCL because of good itineraries or good prices or convenience of the home ports. How long do you think a cruise line, in this day and age, would survive without the "older crowd" sailing during the time school is in session for the "younger crowd"?

Good observation. You are correct that Carnival, nor any other line, will never abandon those beyond the typical child bearing and raising years. Empty Nesters and Retirees are essential to cruise lines, as you stated.

Repeat passengers!

To keep them coming back and to provide a "fresh" experience each time they return with other family members and friends. If you have a large number of repeat passengers, you have to be doing something right and you want them to continue to come back by introducing new things when they do come back.

MARAPRINCE

ALL cruise lines do and have to change in order to keep their product fresh and stay in tune with the ever-changing wants of their customers. How boring would they be if they were always the same old thing. For me, I am ready for the onboard activities to be given a major shakeup. Personally I like a lot of the more traditional cruise aspects that are falling to the wayside (fixed seating, dressing for dinner to indicate one is not at Applebee's, but is in fact in a special environment etc.) but am accepting that that approach is rapidly disappearing (and no, I am not a crusty old retiree, I am a very youthful 43, thank you). It is certainly not enough of an issue to keep us from cruising, just a personal preference.

I too do not believe Carnival ever catered to an older crowd. The activities used to be even more juvenile than some of the current ones. Stuffing fruit down your swimsuit, men running around in nightgowns etc.

I totally agree with you Cruzeluver. I enjoy the traditional cruising experience as well and I, too, am only 44--but the changes will not keep me from cruising and I do enjoy new experiences on board. I do miss the availability of live music to dance to.

Kerrie :)

The OP has obviously never been on a HAL or Princess cruise if they think Carnival is for "old" people. Now I am a old person and have sailed on many different lines but always come back to Carnival for the price and itineraries and now the ships. If Carnival is trying to get away from the party ship reputation I can understand and agree, these are the people who didn't want any of the "old" things that made cruising so fun and elegant. Hopefully they'll find a medium between the traditional cruising and the party cruising and be able to please everyone.

Carnival would be in big trouble if they didn't constantly change. The OP touched on a very good point in regards to dress codes. Less cruisers want to dress up for dinner or be told when to eat. Less cruisers want to sit at the same table to dine for dinner thus more and more pay restaurants. And my favorite... people like affordable vacations for families and they continue to offer just that. I smile when I look at my cruise documents from my first cruise with Carnival 15 years ago and I paid more for an inside cabin than I did for a recent cruise in a balcony cabin... Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was Carnival not a "party boat"? Plus, the so called mythical cruising still does exist. Carnival happens to have gone in the downward spiral and maintains the same image.

People with higher disposable incomes have a tendency to enjoy dressing respectfully at meals, enjoy slow and extended conversations, enjoy live music, in the appropriate areas, and peaceful relaxing on deck, without blaring music. They also have a tendency to expect parents to be parents, and children to act and behave appropriately at meals and shows.

Those items are not mystical. They exist. Not on Carnival, but they do exist.

People with higher disposable incomes have a tendency to enjoy dressing respectfully at meals, enjoy slow and extended conversations, enjoy live music, in the appropriate areas, and peaceful relaxing on deck, without blaring music. They also have a tendency to expect parents to be parents, and children to act and behave appropriately at meals and shows.

Those items are not mystical. They exist. Not on Carnival, but they do exist.

That's quite the generalization.

OP, if you were to phrase it as an "established" crowd rather than older crowds then I could find agreement with you.

I think the established crowd harkens for the experience of yesterday while Carnival is moving to a more relaxed atmosphere in many ways.

Edited by Roscoe13

I haven't cruised with Carnival for ages, like some, but I don't believe it caters to an older crowd. Holland America, yes. Carnival, no.

Why the changes? To keep the brand fresh, to compete with other lines, to save some money or generate income.

Totally agree. Holland America "caters" to more of a older crowd, Carnival no.

I dislike the slowly escalating price of cruising, but hey, that's simply a product of inflation and the forever increasing cost of living. They have to keep up to stay afloat. I understand it, but wish it were otherwise.[/u][/i][/b]

I went on an Alaskan cruise 15 years ago and repeated the same cruise on virtually the same week last year at less cost than the first time. This time we had obstructed ocean view in place of inside cabins on essentially the same ship with the same cruise line. I feel that cruising is still a great bargain. What has gone up for me is all the other things attached to cruising - airplane flights, overnight hotels, parking, meals on shore - that is what makes the price increase.