Star Princes 6/13-6/25 12 day Alaska/Denali northbound review- TONS of pics...

saxgirl84

IMG_3657.crop.jpg

IMG_3658.wm.jpg

they got really close to our boat. The captain had to cut the engine twice because they were so close. at one point, we could have reached out the window and touched one of the whales. unfortunately, I had my cell phone in my hand to take some pictures, and it didn't get the shot...

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

waving goodbye!

IMG_3795.crop.jpg

on our way back into the marina, our guides sounded as though that was the first time they had seen whales as well. They kept telling us how lucky we were, because they were not expecting that to happen, since their earlier trip out had only seen a few random whales, and they were expecting this trip to be similar. I guess we really lucked out! It was so much fun! and so worth the price!

Heading back, we stopped off at a buoy being occupied by some seals. I had seen LOTS of pictures of this while doing my research and looking through the reviews, so I was excited to see it myself, and get to capture some shots as well

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

We also got a great view of a glacier coming back in

IMG_4054.jpg

and a beautiful boat docked in the marina as well

IMG_0483.jpg

After a short ride on the bus again, we were dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier! When we got off the bus, and walked across the parking lot, I was in awe! the glacier was beautiful and I couldn't wait to walk down closer to it!

IMG_4058.jpg

we stopped off for a bathroom break, and then headed down the trail towards Nugget Falls

IMG_4066.jpg

saw some icebergs floating nearby

IMG_4068.jpg

got our first glimpse of the falls from the start of the trail

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

another iceberg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4170%20-%20Copy.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

we headed back to town (we had missed our bus, but there were buses available for $10/person). I was so hot, and my feet were killing me from all the hiking we had done, so I wanted to head back to change into some shorts, and put on some more comfortable shoes. The 3 others stayed in town and went back up the tram again, since the tickets were good for as many trips as you wanted all day...

I headed back to the ship to change, and as soon as I sat down on the bed, I fell asleep! 2 hours later, I woke to my cell phone ringing. it was the other 3 letting me know that they were heading back to the ship... I guess I was done with Juneau before I knew it!

we headed to dinner- going back to Portofino and our favorite waitstaff! we asked to be sat at their table when we arrived, and the rest of the week, we didn't even have to ask, they knew we were back for Robert & Louis! the staff was very attentive, and super friendly. We were all very much impressed and made sure we gave each of them an extra tip at the end of our cruise!

after dinner, we headed up to skywalkers lounge to enjoy a drink and the views

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Next up- Skagway!!!

Again, after much research on Cruise Critic and the Alaska board specifically, I decided it would be in our favor to rent a car for this port, as I saw a picture of Emerald Lake once and immediately knew I HAD to go to this magnificent place! I made a reservation through Avis for an "intermediate" car which ran about $150 for the day. I think we ended up putting about $12 of gas into the tank to top it off before returning it at the end of the day, so our transportation ran a little more than $40 each for the day... much cheaper than the train at $100/each!

I would highly recommend renting a car if you have the means to do so!

now on to the pictures! - sorry, there are A LOT of them! I hope you enjoy!

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

a beautiful rainbow ending aboard the Norwegian Pearl as we were pulling into port!

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

after about 20 minutes of driving in THICK Fog, white knuckling it up the windy mountain roads, we were rewarded with a beautiful view!

there are numerous "pull offs" along the highway at the most scenic area, and we may have taken advantage of nearly every one of them!

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

saw one of the WhitePass Rail Road trains pass by below

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

we stopped off at the Yukon Suspension Bridge to take a peek, and also to use the restrooms. I believe it was $15 per person to get access to the bridge, and they charge $1/each to use the restrooms, however the girl that was working the booth at the time we arrived told us to just go ahead, as long as we didn't leave the deck... so we made sure we purchased some drinks at their cafe, and also picked up a few trinkets in their gift shop since she was so kind.

got to snap some pictures of the area as well

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

back on the road, we continued north on the Yukon Highway towards our next stop- Carcross!

IMG_4273.jpg

this was a newer area, that was just opened a few weeks prior to our arrival. there were several locals selling their wares, a few ice cream shops, and a coffee shop. We stopped in and bought a few things, and tasted some local fare. it was a fun little place

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

More of this gorgeous lake! the weather cooperated with us, and provided some very dramatic color changes in the lake while we were there! It truly was worth the drive up!

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

As we were enjoying the views, we heard the rumbling of thunder in the distance, and saw the dark clouds moving closer, so we took a few more pictures, and headed south back down the Yukon highway towards Skagway

there was a husky "ranch" that we had seen on our way north, that we decided to stop off at. It cost $8/each to interact with the animals. I was having puppy withdraw (left my 3 pups back home!) so I ponied up the $$ and went on a trek for some animal interaction!

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

this is what I was looking for!!!

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_0660_1.jpg

after getting my puppy fix in, the weather seemed to be following us, so we decided it was probably time to start heading south again, as there were a few more stops we wanted to make and we didn't want to get soaked!

here are some random pictures from around the area before we left

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

and the weather moving in!

IMG_0689_1.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

next (quick!) stop- Bove Island

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

I think the weather actually made for some much more dramatic photos, since there wasn't a ton of sunshine, so I didn't mind the overcast weather. It also didn't last too long!

heading back down south, we came across the Welcome to Alaska sign... it was super foggy (again) and I thought that made for a really cool picture---

IMG_4550.jpg

here are a few more random pics of the rest of our day in Skagway

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

the Star Princess docked in Skagway

IMG_0728.jpg

we got back on board, and had 7:45 dinner reservations, again. Tonight, crab legs were on the menu... I had never had crab legs before (stop laughing!! :) ) so I was going to order them, as well as a second entree incase I didn't like them.. (they wouldn't have gone to waste, the other 3 all volunteered to clean my plate if I didn't like them!) Our Waiter again "took care of us" by bringing a big plate of crab legs for the entire table, and we all ordered individual entrees as well.

IMG_0734%20-%20Copy.jpg

I loved the crab legs!! he brought just enough for us to all get our fill of them as well!

I ordered the surf and turf and it was excellent!

IMG_0735%20-%20Copy.jpg

and then the chocolate dessert of the night

IMG_0736%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

After dinner, we headed up to Skywalkers lounge again for a drink, and then off to bed, as Glacier Bay was in the AM, and I wanted to be up and ready for it!!!

woke up about 3:45 hoping to get some sunrise pictures, but it was quite overcast, and no sign of the sun peaking out...

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

called down to room service to order some coffee (for my roomie) and hot chocolate( they charge $2.00 for this through room service) because we were planning on staying on our balcony for Glacier Bay...

around 5:30am I hear the boat that had our naturalists onboard motoring up next to us.

IMG_0742.wm.jpg

coffee and hot chocolate delivered:

IMG_4651.jpg

we are ready for some glaciers!!

IMG_4657.jpg

or some wildlife!

IMG_4615.jpg