Medical advisories

I see under our booking a spot for medical advisories. DH and I don't have any issues, but we will be traveling with my parents on our next cruise and my dad has a necklace with nitro pills in it in case of a heart attack. Where on the check in can he put this information?

Also, do you think the metal detectors before boarding the ship and getting on and off port will set off due to his necklace? The necklace is similar to a dog tag and then has a small little bullet like container on it where the pills are stored.

:)

I see under our booking a spot for medical advisories. DH and I don't have any issues, but we will be traveling with my parents on our next cruise and my dad has a necklace with nitro pills in it in case of a heart attack. Where on the check in can he put this information?

Also, do you think the metal detectors before boarding the ship and getting on and off port will set off due to his necklace? The necklace is similar to a dog tag and then has a small little bullet like container on it where the pills are stored.

As well as wearing the necklace with the nitro - have your dad carry the original prescription bottle in his carry on luggage so if there a question about what the pills are he can show them. I'm quite sure your dad won't be the only person to go through screening with that situation.

My DH has a pacekmaker - he tells them what kind and they know exactly what he can or cannot do at screening.:)

I have carried "Nitro" tabs for some time. I see no reason to carry the original prescription container.

No one except the person who carries them for their own use or a family member will be administering them to him anyway.

I have carried "Nitro" tabs for some time. I see no reason to carry the original prescription container.

No one except the person who carries them for their own use or a family member will be administering them to him anyway.

That is true unless something would happen. It sure helps the ship Dr. too know for sure what he or she is dealing with. You should either carry your scripe bottles or a drug store print out of all your med's.

I know it helped when Larry spent so much time with the ship Dr. on the Pride last winter.

Char

Being married to a police officer, I have had it drilled into my head that any medication available only by prescription must be accompanied by the prescription in order to show you are the person authorized to have the meds. While the necklace is a great idea in an emergent situation, when traveling and subject to search, I would take the original bottles with the prescription on it. Just my opinion....

Very naive thinking. First issue Nitro does NOT last forever, (actually has a short shelf life after opening) the expiration date is imperative. This also is a drug that is light sensitive.

Finally, there are situations where you can loose ANY drugs outside their original containers, officially.

So I was planning to tell my dad to have his original prescription bottle with him, so that's not the issue.

I'm still confused as to where on the check in online that he can put that he has those pills. I'm not sure where the medical advisories section is. I see it listed on mine as "none," but I'm not sure where you go to input it.

Also, I was concerned his necklace might set off the metal detector getting on and off the ship in the ports. For the airport I was going to tell him to put his necklace with the pills in the original container to be safe. Would the ships metal dectectors pick up his necklace? Should he put the necklace in the bottle every time he gets on and off the ship or could he just put the necklace in the little bowl that gets xrayed as long as he has the original bottle with him?

Hi loves maybe I can help.

Yes, ask him to carry the Rx.

For flight just place it in his carry on bag and if he forgets place it in the "bowl" that is used for change and watches.....

On and off the ship, those sensors are set very low. They don't pick up most items.

As for as medical advisory. Hubby has a laundry list of medication and we have never listed any. That is private information and medical issues are well controlled. When I traveled with Mom I did list that she used a wheel chair somewhere in the paper work but I don't remember where.

Hi loves maybe I can help.

Yes, ask him to carry the Rx.

For flight just place it in his carry on bag and if he forgets place it in the "bowl" that is used for change and watches.....

On and off the ship, those sensors are set very low. They don't pick up most items.

As for as medical advisory. Hubby has a laundry list of medication and we have never listed any. That is private information and medical issues are well controlled. When I traveled with Mom I did list that she used a wheel chair somewhere in the paper work but I don't remember where.

Okay, great! Thanks for the helpful advice! I figured the ships metal detectors weren't as sensitive.