Any "single" parents cruise with a toddler?

Amandah1987

Hi, I am yet to go on my first cruise, will be going on explorer of the seas for ten days in February next year (South Pacific)

I am wanting to know if anyone has gone on a cruise, by themselves with a toddler?

I'll be going with my then 3 year old daughter, I'm not a single mum but my partner/her dad is unable to come.

I have a couple of friends going but they will be in different rooms and I'm sure I will not be asking for their help.

I'm not really wanting to put her in the kids club there, but how do you go about signing them up, just in case?

Basically want to know other people's experiences, so I'll know I'm not completely crazy taking her by myself. She is a really well behaved kid,and she sleeps amazingly just a bit worried how she will go with long days.

I know all the info about toilet training for pools, kids club etc

I sailed with DD (4) on a 7 day Disney cruise (DH couldn't go). My parents sailed too, but in a separate cabin. DD did not care for the kids program so we spent a lot of time together.

It wasn't as relaxing as with DH or before DD, but it was great!

You sign them up for kids club on embarkation day and they can go as little or as much as they want.

You'll both have a great time! Just relax & go with the flow.

I'd cruise with her alone again (even without family or friends on the sailing) in a heartbeat.

Also, most kids clubs can give you a schedule of their planned activities so if you aren't sure your daughter would like to be in the kids club, you can pick times with activities she really likes so she will be more likely to feel comfortable there. But ask them how many kids are onboard, and if they are likely to follow the schedule since on the cruises we've been on with very few children (10 or 11 were on my first two cruises on Princess and HAL since they were during the school year and itineraries that don't normally draw families) they tend to be more likely to not follow the printed schedule and just do whatever the two or three kids who show up happen to want to do that afternoon.

Edited by kitkat343

I recently cruised by myself for 16 nights from Sydney with my autistic 6 yr old.

I had no issues with getting him out of the country as once the Australian passports are issued they assume the non travelling parent has approval to travel.

We had an inside cabin which was great for downtime. Lucky it was near the lifts for a quick return to the cabin.

Luggage I took a pram and carried a 60lt backpack, a carry on backpack, a wheeled duffle bag (small) and all the pull ups needed for 16 nights. My travel system must have looked strange

I could not use the kids club as he hated it.

To stop escaping from the room at night I used a walkabout travel lock.

I love cruising and will do so with him again.

Let me know if you need any more info

Many of us here have cruised alone with toddlers. The nice thing about a cruise is there is a lot of structure in the schedule and for a parent alone, all you really have to do is dress, bathe and play with your child - all the other chores are taken care of. I cruised a number of times with my kids before they were old enough for the kids club, which meant 24/7 together, but we loved it. For us the key was always be well-rested (naps!) and never let them get too hungry.

Your child may be out of a stroller, but we used one for ports for cruising until they were 5 because there was no way I could carry child + bag very far if one of them got too tired to walk.

Best,

Mia

Royal has a very good child minding service if you need a break. You pay for it but 2 staff members will

Mind your child.

South Pacific cruises tend to have a lot of children on the cruises so even if you decide to put her into kids club you may not get a place.

We did voyager last year to the South Pacific and loved it.

If flying into Sydney the train station is right under the baggage collection area. Take a train into circular quay and the ships are right there not far to walk.

They have recently renovated the overseas passenger terminal.