Just got back from the Caribbean Princess

torbs

Hi Doreen,

Doreen has answered most of the questions, so i'll try to post without repetition. For Princess Cayes, we did tender in, there was a bar beque, very little to eat there for vegetarians like myself (just a warning), restaurants on ship were great for vegeatrians, just not the princess cayes barbeque...bring cash to princess cayes, we were told just use your shipcard since island owned(actually leased) by princess...igloo, thx to the cruise critic gathering the day before, was kind enuf to offer to lend my husband cash for hair braiding and/or souvenirs, which were not obtainable by shipcard acct..fortuantely we had a friend from home with us who spotted us the cash, but very nice gesture on igloo's part...for kids, my 11 year old daughter didn't want to do too much with the 10-12 year old group..they wouldn't let her go up to the 13 year olds with her sister and her friend, but the older ones could go down to the 10-12 year old group..she wasn't interested in the rollercoaster building or the science projects, or "baby games" as she put it...i thought it all sounded good, but i did hear those types of comments from other 11 and 12 year olds that i met in the hot tub...my 13 year old daughter had a friend with her on board so they came and went from the teen program..some daytime activities were good, i was uncomfortable with the 13 year old girls hanging with the 17 year old boys in the latenight hours of teen program, especially since i overhead the way the guys were talking about which girls they were "going to go for"...bartenders were good about not serving minors, but i did hear complaints about a group of 16 year olds who brought booze back onboard from montego bay and that was a problem..my 14 year old son was also onboard with a friend from home, they both had a blast and i didn't worry about them when they were off on their own latenight...not to have diff't standards for son vs daughter, but it happened...trust my kids, just worried about older boys taking advantage of the budding 13 year old girls...kids were all having a good time in their separate "off limits" teen room...even the teens liked getting the stuffed frog teen program souvenir...as far as transfers...we took hotel shuttle from wyndam airport hotel to pier and they charged us $8 per person..it was a van and could easily accomodate our luggage and the 5 of us...upon disembarking, a porter at airport just grabbed us a regular taxi..it held the 5 of us, luggage in trunk was a bit tight, but it ended up being the biggest bargain..he quoted me just $13 for all of us from pier to airport..and then when he found out it was continental, apparently a closer terminal, he changed it to $11..as far as timing..i had a late flight, 3pm out of ft. lauderdale so we were totally taking our time, and not rushing off the ship...even with that, we got to airport by 10:45am and had plenty of time to kill with the rather lousy and overpriced chili's airport restaurant food..i wanted to check the luggage and take another cab to the beach (15 minutes away) but hubby was into relaxing and reading at the gate...sure, i had the kids to contend with..oh well, vacation is over, back to reality happy to answer any future questions, hope i hit responses to previously asked ones

Hi DBTB - no we didn't use room service so I can't help there but the pizza & burger areas were well attended by our group & though the lines ebbed & flowed I never waited longer than 5 minutes to be served - really efficient crew in those areas.

Hi - to expand on Chloeleigh thoughts - the friends I made through our roll-call for this cruise were such a pleasant add-on and some of us did see each other alot - mostly luck of the draw but exceptionally fun!

doreen

igloo42

Originally posted by BluIDblonde:

FOR CHLOELEIGH-

On the horseback riding excursion, did you HAVE to go through the water with the horses? I am allergic to salt water and would love to ride the horses, but was unsure if going through the water was a MUST!

We did the horseback riding and they stopped the horses to remove the saddles. Then they went in groups in the water. So to answer your question, you do not have to go in the water. Too bad, because it is the best part of the ride! Only your legs get a little wet, consider latering your legs up with waterproof cream when they take a break to take off the saddles.

http://community.webshots.com/user/doctrd

Paradise 3/04

Destiny 11/03

Destiny 3/03

Voyager of Seas 11/99

Paradise 7/99

Grand Princess (Grand Suite) 4/99

Grand Princess (Grand Suite) 11/98

Imagination 7/98

Fantasy 7/97

BluIDblonde,

Sorry i missed your horseback riding question earlier but glad to see someone responded...You do NOT need to go into the salt water on the horses, but if you're not planning to do that part of the trip, i wouldn't bother with the horses at all, since that was really the only uniqueness of the excursion, otherwise it was just a SLOW walk through some acreage..not sure of your allergy to the water on river tubing, but i heard that was a good excursion as well...

Chris, I am still waiting for someone to answer your question about the "horizon Ct." vs the "Caribe". Are they one and the same? Every time I have sailed Princess, the "Horizon Ct". was open, 24-7, with something to eat. I have read here, the "Caribe" is closed after 2;30???? Any answers out there? Can you order an entree from the dining room menu , in the buffett, at night?

sandymc

posted 04-12-04 10:49 AM

Hi All - this might help! The Trident Grill (hamburgers, etc.)and the Prego Pizzeria is open from 11:00am to 8:00pm and Scoops (ice cream) is open from 11:00am t0 5:30pm and again from 7:30pm to 10:30pm so snacks are available till 10:30pm if you like ice cream. The desserts in the Cafe Caribe were very limited the night we were there - some kind of cake and a couple of little things, nothing like what you find on the buffet. Happy cruising...Carol

The Caribe is located at the aft of Horizon.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Additional comment re: Cafe Caribe...i was also under the impression that it would be a 24 hour buffet, and having read about the rock lobster, my son and i were psyched...disappointed to find out that it closed after lunch at 2:30 and didn't open again until dinner at 5:30...since we had traditional second seating, we very rarely ate there since it was closed by the time we got back from shore excursions...one at sea day they had tons of assorted sushi at lunch time..that was a nice treat..but there was no way to tell in advance that that was going to be available, and when people were so excited to find it, they were told, "enjoy it, this is only offered here for one day"...my kids did go into the cafe caribe for dinner one night and were a little freaked that there was some roasted pig or some other animal..think it was a cultural/ethnic type of night, but it didn't go over well with my kids...nothing like the rock lobster we were expecting

I read a review somewhere else which said there was a lot of underage drinking on the ship. It also said that many of the teenagers lacked parental supervision which resulted in knocking on other passenger doors in the wee hours and rude pool behavior. Did any of you notice this??

Our honeymoon cruise!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;3;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have a set of menus, but need to scan them and upload them. I'll try to get that done pretty quick, but the menus got mixed up and I don't remember what order they were arranged. Regardless, it'll give you an idea of what they serve. icon_smile.gif And hopefully it doesn't spoil the anticipation for those yet to cruise. icon_wink.gif

Caribbean Princess - 4/2004

Dawn Princess - 12/2003

Sea Princess - 12/2000

Emerald Seas - 7/1984

stevewiz - We were on the 4/3 sailing, too. Unfortunately, there was no arcade, which really was a disappointment to my 10 yo son. There is a room called fiesta arcade, which was small and empty. Perhaps they didn't have the machines, yet? I don't know how big the arcade is on the Grand or Golden, but this room was tiny. It was misleading. They do have virtual golf on board and some Play Station 2 games in the kids room, but always very crowded.

Someone asked about pottery classes. My daughter loved it. It was $35. per hour, but be careful. An hour is a long time to do the wheel and each piece is $15. to keep and glaze. My dd kept 3 and we had to be back on the ship on Cozumel day between 3-5 to do the painting. That was not convenient and should have been offered while at sea. (or in the evening)

As far as room service, my kids tried to order a few nights and got no answer. I think they were very busy. We did order a pot of coffee every morning to be delivered to our stateroom and it was always on time as a wake-up call! icon_smile.gif

Liz

Hi, I don't remember any crab legs - but there was a lot of seafood. The shrimp cocktail was on the everday side of the menu. My mother in law ordered one every night. DOn't have any menus, sorry!

hi

thanks for the response on the seafood -

i was on the sun princess with crab legs already split for you - they were unbelieveably good - glad to hear about the shrimp

did anyone try the fettuccini - it was great also

carol

Carol, I had the fettuccini on the CP and it was *great*!! Also had it on the Dawn in December and it was just as good. I asked them to cut up a chicken breast to go with it and it was really good! icon_smile.gif If anyone can't find something on the menu one night or if you want something different, this is a tasty alternative! icon_smile.gif

Caribbean Princess - 4/2004

Dawn Princess - 12/2003

Sea Princess - 12/2000

Emerald Seas - 7/1984

I love the fettucine on the Princess ships! I even eat that layer of nice, chewy cheese (I think it is parmesean?) that melted in the pasta bowl and then becomes that nice, satisfactory cheesy delight.... oh, I'm getting hungry and I haven't had any lunch, and it's 2:15 where I live. That bag of Cheese curls is looking mighty good sitting over in the kitchen! icon_biggrin.gif

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

Archived