Transportation from Port Canaveral to Orlando/Sanford Airport

Yvonne

We have always flown from Orlando International back to Detroit, but our next cruise in January we are flying from Orlando Sanford, so we're wondering about transportation as I'm sure RCI doesn't have a shuttle to that airport like they do Orlando International, correct?

So, what towncar/limo companies do you recommend? I've heard of Tiffany Town Car and Happy Limo, would you recommend those? Others?

We are flying in from Lansing and renting a car for our first week in Florida, then dropping it off at Budget at Port Canaveral before the cruise, so just need transportation after the cruise.

Or would we (two couples) we be better off to take the shuttle from the ship back to Budget and rent a car to get us back to Sanford?

We flew into Sanford last spring. We rented a car from Hertz both ways. They have a shuttle at their office when you drop the car off before the cruise and they also have shuttles after the cruise to take you back to their office to pick up your car. They also have onsight drop off at Sanford--very convenient! You will like Sanford, it is smaller and less crowded than MCO--quick and easy coming and going!:)

A rental car is definitely your best bet. It is about a 50 minute trip from Sanford to the Orlando airport. That to me would be reason enough to not try to go to MCO and get a shuttle. Sanford airport is a great airport and much easier to get around in than MCO. I'm sure you would be able to rent a car for less than other transportation from the Port to Sanford.

Enjoy your cruise.

Katie

Information about facilities at Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB) can be found at their website: www.orlandosanfordairport.com/

While the airport caters mostly to package tour airlines from the UK, a number of smaller U.S. domestic airlines are also servicing the airport.

BobK/Orlando

Budget has an off-site location with a shuttle at the airport. I think that they also have a shuttle to get you to/from the pier. There were quite a few company's with on-site locations at Sanford (check the above site). Much easier than catching a shuttle to pick up (and drop off) your car at the airport. Also, whatever company you choose, make sure that they will shuttle you to/from the pier from their Port Canaveral location.

Just a bit more info on my experience in Sanford. Avis is on site at the airport and has a drop off about 3-4 miles from the pier. They run a shuttle when ships are in port both to get you there on embarkation day and to pick you up on at the end of your cruise. The cost of the rental with tax (I'm thinking back here), was very reasonable and by far less than the limo (you rent for 1 day). The drive as someone said was about 50 minutes and it's a very nice drive. It also leaves you the option if you want to look around the beach area before dropping the car off. The avis dropoff is right on the main drag (I think it's called Atlantic Blvd.) a few miles from the port. On the day they pick you up at the port, their shuttle is running constantly. If you get off the boat early, chances are you will catch the first return to the car rental office.

Regardless of what company you choose, if you have been to MCO, you'll love Sanford for it's ease of in and out.

Archived