Quick Elation Review

portocaller

We sailed on the Carnival Elation July 11th and had a good time.

Embarkation: New Orleans gets an A. It was fast and easy. We decided to park at the port for $80 and while there is cheaper parking to be had we decided to pay for the convenience. We arrived at the parking garage at 11:35 and walked on the ship at 12:17. No complaints.

Cabin: We were in U197. The cabin was cool and comfortable temperature wise. It also had a Samsung flat screen television. It was a little tight for the five of us but we knew that going in so not a complaint. It was worn but nothing that gave us trouble and we had a terrific cabin steward.

Dining: We had early dining and ate in the MDR every night and both sea day brunches. No complaints. It was delicious. We ate port day mornings and sea day lunch on Lido deck. Everyone had something they liked so we were happy.

Bar Service: It was good, not pushy. No trouble getting a beverage when we wanted one and no trouble when we didn't want one.

Entertainment: This is the only area that I would like to see improved. During the day, I am happy hanging out on Lido by the main pool. I missed the Calypso band. The DJ tried but just didn't have the same atmosphere. There was a soloist that played a little while and I really enjoyed him. We played Bingo once and it was fine. Evenings is where it was lacking. The shows were okay. They had Epic Rock and Heart of Soul. They since added Divas but not on our cruise. They were okay. The performers were good but without the orchestra and big sets it looked more like a high school production to me. Overall I would say it had good bones and could be great but I have no desire to see them again. My issue was more with scheduling. There was comedy but if you went to the 8:15 show it wouldn't be until 10:30 until another comedy show. I wish the one band they did have played in a lounge instead of on promenade. It was loud and awkward seating to watch from. Also hard to get through because of the people crowding the small stage. Overall, I wish they offered more music in a lounge setting. On the evenings there wasn't a big show, the one they did have was at 10:15 and the comedy show was packed even though they were repeats. We weren't miserable but I really like music so it let me down a little there. We did go to the piano bar one night and it was good. Despite this being the one area I would like to see a little shifting done, we still managed to find things to do and were happy.

Cozumel: Took a taxi to the beach. Had a fantastic time. Shopped a little in the port. It was fine.

Progresso: Went to Uxmal. Fantastic tour. We booked through Carnival because of the distance and I would do that tour again. The bus was comfortable and the ruins were in great shape.

Misc: The kids enjoyed Camp Carnival. They only went when they were interested in what was going on so they only spent an hour or so a day there which I was happy with. No problems getting chairs in the shade which I prefer since I burn easily. The ship rocked a little bit not too much which made me happy because I enjoy the movement. The staff was very friendly. The ship was full but there really weren't long lines.

Overall, we were happy and would cruise again with Carnival. I prefer the Fantasy class having sailed on the Carnival Destiny. I would love to try the Pride or Legend but we will choose based on ports.

I often think that my first cruise was the last cruise that they had an island sounding band on. I do miss it. But I have always loved that kind of music, and listen to it at home. It just makes a Bahamian or Caribbean cruise seem more 'real".

Thanks for the review, and yes Uxmal was fantastic when we went last year. It impressed my DH so much he now wants to go back and see more ruins-hence our upcoming Elation cruise. Progresso is the best port to dock and see Mayan ruins from, nice to read others stating what a great time they had on their excursions there.

Thanks for the review. I have not cruised Carnival in a long time. Some friends got together and we decided we would cruise together. We will be 70 this year. Sailing on the Elation in Sept. and Holland America in Oct. Now I know what to expect.

I loved our room location. It was very convenient to the back stairs which lead straight into the Lido Deck restaurant. It was quiet. We only felt vibrations when going in and our of port. It is the only area I would book from now on to be honest.

I enjoyed your reveiw also. We'll be on the Elation in October. I have 2 teens 16 & 13. What ages are your children? Mine have really enjoyed the clubs. If they are similar ages, could you share some of the few activities they enjoyed?

I went on a ladies getaway with a friend and we cruised the Elation. I was absolutely miserable. My friend gambled The entire time. I even went to dinner by myself 2 different nights. My memory of the Elation is negative but it had more to do with my friend than the ship.

I love the Elation and sadly, after 6 cruises on her, took my last one June 2015. Since Elation moves to FLorida April 2016 we will be on the Triumph next summer. NOLA is close enough to drive to and allows us to cruise more often. I actually enjoyed the Elation and Fantasy more than the Triumph Glad you enjoyed your cruise-we had an enjoyable one as well.

My kids are 10, 14, and 16. My 16 year old went to a dance party but mostly avoided going to anything. He did have a good time but he slept though most of the cruise. We didn't find out until after we got off that he had been infected with a tick born illness while camping out of state two weeks earlier.

I just thought he was going through a growth spurt because he was eating or sleeping. Glad I didn't know though or I would have freaked out.

The 14 year old enjoyed dodge ball. He avoided the dance parties and opted to attend after those were over. I went by a few times and the kids that went were having fun. He really liked that the activities ran late into the night. He seemed to make a couple good friends from the cruise.

The 10 year old liked video game time and goofy balloon games the best. He also really enjoyed bingo. He stayed for Night Owls once, his request but I think he stayed just over an hour because we picked him up to bring him to the deck party.

Hope this helps a little.