Visa Fees

zorro

Since I have been to Chile a few times, let me add, you pay that at the airport when you enter or leave. It has to be $100 CASH. They do not take any other form of payment. You do not get a visa in advance.

Argentina has no charges.

As I said before I SAW people paying at the Santiago Airport with a credit card as we enterd Chile. I believe I paid some kind of departure tax when leaving Buenos Aires.

Jan. 3/2005 we did the Buenos Aires to Valpariso itinerary. I, too, was told that we needed $100 in cash when leaving Chile. Not true. You only need it if you are flying into Chile. I was all prepared to pay and it was explained to me better than by the Oceania staff. I, of course, was quite pleased.

Don't know if it was good for a lifetime or not since that was not in our equation.

I do know that a Visa was required if you went to Igauzu Falls and went on the Brazilian side. If you stayed on the Argentine side, you didn't need the Visa.

What a fantastic trip. Enjoy.

Spindrift, that's what I thought too, but Mikiew was certain that you had to pay even if you cruised in and just flew home from the airport, and since we had done the itinerary in the reverse I had no personal experience to fall back on.

The fee being good for the duration of the passport IS true. It says so right on the paper that's stapled into mine (in Spanish of course). :D

• 2 weeks later...

Did the Buesnos Aires to Valparaiso cruise on Insignia. Told we would need the $100 in cash to leave Chile. Not so. We flew out of Chile and they told us it was only if we flew INTO Chile. So, I still have the dollars to spend on other goodies.

Spindrift

Who told you about the $100 charge - Oceania or someone else? I'm just trying to glean if this is yet another example of Oceania's home office giving out erroneous information (like they did to my TA when he asked them if we would need a visa to enter Chile and was told "yes" by Oceania). Of course no visa is required.

Mike

My TA called to tell me that Oceania told me to have the $100 in cash. (I don't think my last post was posted.) Of course, someone else could have told the staff at Oceania. Better to be prepared than not. (I now have the extra $200 for something else. :-)))

Archived