Longer cruise compared to shorter cruise

latitude918

If you're not keen on port days the 7 day Southern Caribbean is definitely for you!! it leaves from San Juan and only has one port day. We're doing that itinerary on the Liberty in September. I expect to have to do a vacation from my vacation (LOL)!!!

When I started cruising I only did 7 day cruises along with some 8 day trips. I loved them. This year we're doing a 3 day for our wedding anniversary. I know it won't be long enough but at least I won't be at home!!!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Thanks. I am pretty excited about it :)

I was eyeing up that cruise, but, the logistics and price of a flight to San Juan, compared to a flight to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami is having us give the edge to the Florida embarkation ports.

Hi there Cruisers,

My wife-to-be and I are doing a 5 night cruise for our honeymoon. This will be my third and her second. (She is really excited to get the red card. Ha)

We were talking the other night about booking our next cruise while on the ship, because I remember you get perks, though I can't remember what they are.

We were looking at itineraries, and a lot of the 8 day itineraries stuck out at us. However, we've normally just done 4 and 5 night sailings. So, I was curious, what are some of the differences I can expect between the two?

Also, what is the current perk for booking a cruise while you're on your cruise?

Honestly, there really aren't that many differences. Other than the obvious differences of course. There are more days to enjoy the ship which we really love. We do notice that there tends to be less kids on the longer cruises, especially if you go while school is in session. There usually is a second formal night, which I really think is kind of over kill. I think one is plenty, but they didn't ask me :) And you can also expect to find some more exotic locations that are farther away. But other than that, really we didn't notice that many differences in the cruises. Also, they tend to do the shorter cruises on the older ships so maybe with a longer cruise you will get a newer ship than you have had before!

For the most part, I like longer cruises better. Short ones are nice if only a limited time off from work, but they seem to just get started when you have to get off of the ship.

Have been on two 8 night cruises and both were a blast. My friend and I always say toward the end of the cruise, that we are glad it is an 8 and not a 7 night trip.

Larger ships overall on the longer cruises with more to do and see.

We started with a 7 day. Loved it. Did a 5 day. Had a great time but couldn't believe how fast it went. Did another 7, still seemed short so then a 9 day, then a 10 day, then back to 7 (went so fast), then 14 day :eek:(NOW we're talking, that was a great length and our best cruise)! February will be a 7 day again, I don't know if I will be able to handle such a short one. :D Just a note on our 14 day repo cruise there were only 40 children. The age demographic did seem to be older, but we are only in our 40's....so it depends on your definition of old.

I say give the 8 day a shot!!!

We started with a 7 day. Loved it. Did a 5 day. Had a great time but couldn't believe how fast it went. Did another 7, still seemed short so then a 9 day, then a 10 day, then back to 7 (went so fast), then 14 day :eek:(NOW we're talking, that was a great length and our best cruise)! February will be a 7 day again, I don't know if I will be able to handle such a short one. :D Just a note on our 14 day repo cruise there were only 40 children. The age demographic did seem to be older, but we are only in our 40's....so it depends on your definition of old.

I say give the 8 day a shot!!!

Many, many years ago our first cruise was a three day Carnival out of Miami. We didn't know better at the time but thought this was fantastic. Our next cruise was seven days. Seems to go on forever, until Wednesday when we started the downward, it'll be over soon mindset.

Then we did a ten day. I remember, at day seven thinking wow, I have three more days. This is the way to go.

In the following years we took 12, 14, and 16 day cruises. Loved them all. Recently went to Bermuda from Bayonne. A seven day jaunt. Couldn't believe how short it was compared to the longer cruises.

We think we would rather take one 14 day cruise than two seven day ones.

Which would you rather do?

My favorite length is an 8 day but 6 days are what we choose now. We need to get childcare for our kids (1 and 3) and with traveling from Indiana to Florida, we usually spend the night. 7 days is all I would feel comfortable with asking for help with the kids and dog. When we are retired I will be the B2B queen! hehe

My favorite length is an 8 day but 6 days are what we choose now. We need to get childcare for our kids (1 and 3) and with traveling from Indiana to Florida, we usually spend the night. 7 days is all I would feel comfortable with asking for help with the kids and dog. When we are retired I will be the B2B queen! hehe

That is another factor I never thought of: getting someone to watch our dog. Guess I'll just have to include that in the planning :)