Longer cruise compared to shorter cruise

latitude918

Hi there Cruisers,

My wife-to-be and I are doing a 5 night cruise for our honeymoon. This will be my third and her second. (She is really excited to get the red card. Ha)

We were talking the other night about booking our next cruise while on the ship, because I remember you get perks, though I can't remember what they are.

We were looking at itineraries, and a lot of the 8 day itineraries stuck out at us. However, we've normally just done 4 and 5 night sailings. So, I was curious, what are some of the differences I can expect between the two?

Also, what is the current perk for booking a cruise while you're on your cruise?

Hi there Cruisers,

My wife-to-be and I are doing a 5 night cruise for our honeymoon. This will be my third and her second. (She is really excited to get the red card. Ha)

We were talking the other night about booking our next cruise while on the ship, because I remember you get perks, though I can't remember what they are.

We were looking at itineraries, and a lot of the 8 day itineraries stuck out at us. However, we've normally just done 4 and 5 night sailings. So, I was curious, what are some of the differences I can expect between the two?

Also, what is the current perk for booking a cruise while you're on your cruise?

Perk for a 7 or 8 day cruise booked onboard is $100 OBC. You'd also receive 2Family & Friend Vouchers when someone who booked same cruise within 60 days of date on voucher will also receive the same OBC.

We've never booked anything less than 6 days since we have to fly to port and it doesn't seem worth it to book a shorter cruise. The two 6-day cruises we've been on have been combined with an 8-day cruise to make a total of 14 days at sea. We now only do B2B cruises.

Perk for a 7 or 8 day cruise booked onboard is $100 OBC. You'd also receive 2Family & Friend Vouchers when someone who booked same cruise within 60 days of date on voucher will also receive the same OBC.

We've never booked anything less than 6 days since we have to fly to port and it doesn't seem worth it to book a shorter cruise. The two 6-day cruises we've been on have been combined with an 8-day cruise to make a total of 14 days at sea. We now only do B2B cruises.

Kudos to you! That sounds fun. I don't think my supervisor would let me miss that much work at one time :p

Good to know about the friends and family perk. My brother and his wife like to cruise. It'd be fun to have them tag along.

Usually on a 4/5 night cruise, you go on the smaller ships, but with an 8-day, you'll most likely be on a bigger boat which means more things to do and more time you'll need to experience everything onboard! And with 3-4 extra days, that means more ports (usually) and a lot of fun things to do on the ship!

Please do your research to make sure there is a future cruise desk on your ship. We sailed the Victory in Feb to find out there was no future cruise desk when we were told there was. We lost out on a prime location on the 13 day cruise we are taking next year.

As far as the differences go, it will be harder to get off the ship after a longer cruise. A 5 day goes by so fast. You will get more days to relax on the longer cruises plus go to new islands. I believe the 5 days go to the Western Caribbean. 8 days or more will take to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean and there are some awesome islands in the EC & SC!! You will get 2 elegant nights instead of one. You will pay more for tips since you are on a longer cruise. But in my opinion, it's worth it!!

Happy Sailing!

On some longer cruises, you can get a slightly older demographic. Some short cruises, have the bulk of passenger - well- "young". :) (no chance for me in that club :) )

There have been some reports of more intoxication as well, in a few sailings.

So far, DW and I have done a 3 day, two 5 day and a 7 day. We are booked on a 7 day in September.

3 days is WAY too short! In my opinion, they are only good for a last minute weekend getaway.

5 days isn't too bad. But, it does go by a little fast.

7 day was great! DW was worried it might be too long, but it was perfect! This time around we will have our baby girl with us, so we're hoping we haven't bitten off more than we can handle!:rolleyes:

We have talked about doing an 8 day for our 20th anniversary in a couple of years, but a cruise that long is going to take a little wrangling with our bosses!:p

Our first cruise was a 3 day and once we got back we eliminated the 3 day, much too short. We have taken quite a few 7 day ones but now we find the 7 days go by too fast. So now were up to 10 day or more cruises. 7 day cruises are still in the mix, but the longer cruises come first when planning.

We did our first cruise on the Fascination and it was a 5 day. We really enjoyed it and did not get any type of "booze cruise" feel from it. Two years ago we did a 7 day out of New Orleans on the Conquest. We loved the two extra days (who would have thought 2 days could feel much longer) and it seemed to us that the demographics were about the same.

This year we are doing an 8 day out of Ft. Lauderdale again on the Conquest. We actually leave on a Saturday and return on a Sunday, so work days off we are only taking one extra day to come in on Friday. We have 3 sea days and 4 ports on this cruise. I will be interested to see how it compares to the other two.

We did our first cruise on the Fascination and it was a 5 day. We really enjoyed it and did not get any type of "booze cruise" feel from it. Two years ago we did a 7 day out of New Orleans on the Conquest. We loved the two extra days (who would have thought 2 days could feel much longer) and it seemed to us that the demographics were about the same.

This year we are doing an 8 day out of Ft. Lauderdale again on the Conquest. We actually leave on a Saturday and return on a Sunday, so work days off we are only taking one extra day to come in on Friday. We have 3 sea days and 4 ports on this cruise. I will be interested to see how it compares to the other two.

An 8 day on the conquest out of Ft. Lauderdale is actually what we're looking at. I'll keep an eye out for your review ;)

To me 7 days is just right, although I would do a longer one if given enough vacation time. Our last cruise was the first time we've done a 5 day, and even though it seemed to go by faster it was still enjoyable because I'd rather have some days at sail than none at all. I enjoy the days at sea and more ports to visit on the longer cruises but our upcoming one will be 5 day but we will spend 2 extra days around town.

Kudos to you! That sounds fun. I don't think my supervisor would let me miss that much work at one time :p

Good to know about the friends and family perk. My brother and his wife like to cruise. It'd be fun to have them tag along.

Luckily, we are retired so our time is our own.

We were on Conquest this past January and booked our 2016 Glory B2B while on that cruise.

For us, it isn't about the number of days, but the number of ports.

I'd rather do a 5 day cruise with 2 ports, than an 8 day cruise with 3 for instance. (3 ports = 7 days, max)

The 8 day cruise we did (with 3 ports) felt boring.

The 5 day cruise with 2, was super fun, as was the 7 day cruise with 5 ports.

Along the same lines as what Budget Queen said is the demographics. Our first cruise was a 5 day cruise. I'm going to be nice or I'll make people mad, but there is definitely a different clientele. 5 day cruises can be dirt cheap so think of the riff-raff that may be able to afford it.... Again, I'm not saying that everyone on-board is like that, but there will be people who want a quick, cheap vacation to party hard... Since then, we've only done 7+ day cruises, and a few of those were back to back. Our next cruise is 14 days. I heard that the passengers may be much older, but I don't care. I'd prefer a quieter atmosphere anyway! And like some others said, the shorter cruises often go on the older boats. I prefer to go to more exotic islands and you can't get to the Southern Caribbean on a short cruise.

Definitely prefer longer cruises. We've done a few B2B's, and as Amyj just said, you can tell the clientele difference when the people get on for the shorter leg of the B2B. I like a good 10-12 days. Anything more than 12 and I would probably go insane- unless it was an incredible itinerary, like South America. As far as a four or five day cruise, to me it would. To be worth the hassle of packing, etc any more.

I've done a 5 night (way too short), with my DH I've done several 7's, and eight night (heaven, pure heaven to Aruba) and we've got an 11 night coming up in 124 days!

The 11 night is gonna be very port intensive and I'm trying to figure out just which islands I'm gonna have to chill on versus those I want to get out and go go go!

For us, it isn't about the number of days, but the number of ports.

I'd rather do a 5 day cruise with 2 ports, than an 8 day cruise with 3 for instance. (3 ports = 7 days, max)

The 8 day cruise we did (with 3 ports) felt boring.

The 5 day cruise with 2, was super fun, as was the 7 day cruise with 5 ports.

That is my view towards cruising. I can't stand sea days, so port intensive itinerary is definitely something I'd look for.

I've done a 5 night (way too short), with my DH I've done several 7's, and eight night (heaven, pure heaven to Aruba) and we've got an 11 night coming up in 124 days!

The 11 night is gonna be very port intensive and I'm trying to figure out just which islands I'm gonna have to chill on versus those I want to get out and go go go!

Aruba sounds pretty great from what I hear. Longer cruises sound fun but I'll definitely have to ease into them. I don't know if I could do 14 days on the ship. Props to those who can.

Along the same lines as what Budget Queen said is the demographics. Our first cruise was a 5 day cruise. I'm going to be nice or I'll make people mad, but there is definitely a different clientele. 5 day cruises can be dirt cheap so think of the riff-raff that may be able to afford it.... Again, I'm not saying that everyone on-board is like that, but there will be people who want a quick, cheap vacation to party hard... Since then, we've only done 7+ day cruises, and a few of those were back to back. Our next cruise is 14 days. I heard that the passengers may be much older, but I don't care. I'd prefer a quieter atmosphere anyway! And like some others said, the shorter cruises often go on the older boats. I prefer to go to more exotic islands and you can't get to the Southern Caribbean on a short cruise.

Good to know. The 4 cay we were on had some groups of 20 somethings that were getting pretty rowdy.

We are in our early 30s and like to get at it every-so-often, but not like we used to.

What I have heard about longer cruises is there are less kids, which if true, would be nice.

Good to know. The 4 cay we were on had some groups of 20 somethings that were getting pretty rowdy.

We are in our early 30s and like to get at it every-so-often, but not like we used to.

What I have heard about longer cruises is there are less kids, which if true, would be nice.

I'm in my 30's and like you, I like to "get at it" sometimes, LOL, but not every single day on a cruise! The 14 day will be the longest cruise we've ever done. But we have strategically planned most of our cruises to be when school is in session so we're almost guaranteed a quieter boat! We love cruising the beginning of November. BEFORE the week of Thanksgiving!

I started with a 7 day then did several 7 days and then a 6 day. Went in a 12 day Mediterranean out of Barcelona and very port intensive. It was my favorite cruise until we did Hawaii out of Vancouver for 10 days. 5 days at sea. It was amazing. In 38 days we are going on our longest one to date. 15 days transatlantic from UK to Boston. If we enjoy that then we will know we want to try a much longer one.

We did go on a 4 day out of Tampa. It was a full on party boat with a very rough crowd.

I am under 40 and I have to admit I prefer the older classier crowds. That is what you get on the longer cruises.

I know that I will not choose a cruise under 5 days ever again unless it is a free cruise.

If you're not keen on port days the 7 day Southern Caribbean is definitely for you!! it leaves from San Juan and only has one port day. We're doing that itinerary on the Liberty in September. I expect to have to do a vacation from my vacation (LOL)!!!

When I started cruising I only did 7 day cruises along with some 8 day trips. I loved them. This year we're doing a 3 day for our wedding anniversary. I know it won't be long enough but at least I won't be at home!!!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.