First Carnival cruise -- is this upsell worth it?

Reebster

As the title says, my upcoming cruise on the Liberty will be my first with Carnival. Today I got an upsell offer to upgrade from my current balcony cabin to a junior suite for $190 pp. My current balcony cabin is on the Empress Deck, the suite that I could upgrade to would be next door. I have no experience with Carnival's cabins, so I turn to you guys: Is this worth it? I can afford it, but is there really enough extra space/perks to justify the extra cost?

For what it's worth, DH and I are fairly introverted and do tend to spend a bit of time relaxing in the cabin/on the balcony.

There's not much extra space. You do get a dressing room/vanity area and a bigger bathroom. The main cabin is slightly bigger as is the balcony but it's not noticeably bigger. I probably wouldn't do it… I did it on the conquest for $500 and I kind of regret it

Edited by finzup-kt

As the title says, my upcoming cruise on the Liberty will be my first with Carnival. Today I got an upsell offer to upgrade from my current balcony cabin to a junior suite for $190 pp. My current balcony cabin is on the Empress Deck, the suite that I could upgrade to would be next door. I have no experience with Carnival's cabins, so I turn to you guys: Is this worth it? I can afford it, but is there really enough extra space/perks to justify the extra cost?

For what it's worth, DH and I are fairly introverted and do tend to spend a bit of time relaxing in the cabin/on the balcony.

We received a similar offer on the Valor Southern itinerary and took it. You wouldn't think you would spend so much time there on such a port intensive trip but honestly .. we are pretty introverted, too, and we found ourselves pretty tired from port exploring everyday.

So for us it was worth every penny. Now I'm not so sure what I will do on our next cruise without that tub! lol

This is in response to Reebster about going from balcony to Junior suite.

I just looked on the deck plan for Liberty Empress deck and I do not even

see a junior suite on that deck. All I see are Grand Suites and Ocean Suites.

Are you sure they did not offer an Ocean Suite. If they did I would jump

on that right away. You will go from 185 sq. ft. to 275 sq. ft. plus you

get a whirlpool tub and two sinks, nice makeup area and a large bal.

Early embark and debark. Good luck. HAPPY SAILING!!!

Are you talking about going from a cat 8C to OS. 8C cabin 185 sq ft, balcony 35 sq ft OS cabin is 275 sq ft balcony is 65 sq ft. You also get another big window in the bigger room. If it is still on Empress mid-ship, I would take it. I did find junior suites forward on Lido deck next to the Captains Suite and I would avoid that due to the location of all the way forward. I would take it for the bigger balcony and room but if money is a concern, you have a great room with a balcony already.

Edited by JonV
Additional window

If it's an ocean suite and you want a certain amount of alone time, I would definitely take it. We had one on the Dream and loved it. But no flies on a regular balcony either. We spend a lot of time on our balcony vs. Lido pool area.

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I went ahead and upgraded after confirming that it was in fact an Ocean Suite. It also helped that with the suite perks, I wouldn't need FTTF, so that helped to offset the cost a bit. We are now counting the days until we set sail!

I was on the Freedom this month, a sister ship of the Liberty. We did a cabin crawl with our roll call group, so we got to see different types of cabins. Our balcony cabin was on deck 7, Empress deck. The suite we saw was 2 doors down. I wasn't all that impressed. I actually liked the layout and decor of our cabin better. The things I liked about the suite? The longer balcony, prettier bathroom and jacuzzi tub. Still, I wouldn't buy it. Here are some pics

Suite

20150705_124226_zpsii0zxucy.jpg

20150705_124231_zpsp5owt6hj.jpg

20150705_124235_zps0fywxrv0.jpg

I did find junior suites forward on Lido deck next to the Captains Suite and I would avoid that due to the location of all the way forward. I would take it for the bigger balcony and room but if money is a concern, you have a great room with a balcony already.

We don't mind all the way forward at all, but the lack of balcony privacy was a definite con.

But, DH and I both loved having the tub, so that's what sold it. Our original Lido balcony didn't have that. ☺