Waimea on Kauai Day 2 POA

cc41

Is it reasonable and not too rushed to explore Waimea Canyon on 2nd Kauai day from POA? Google puts it at an hour+ drive from harbor. We will already have rental car and will be able to start out early. I would want to return car at 12:30 to be back onboard without worry.

Thanks for any assistance.

We did not do much on the second day; however, I think it depends on how early you are willing to get up. The good thing about the overnight docking is that you can get off the ship at 4 in the morning if you choose. When we were in Maui we got off the ship at about 5:45 on the first day and got an early start. Yes we were tire when we got back on the boat, but that was fine. I would say if you are willing to get up really early go for it- make the most of your vacation!

It is possible if you are disciplined about the time. We had a rental car (which we just parked on the street overnight) and left about 8:00 in the morning. We drove up Waimea canyon to the very end of the road at the Na pali coast lookout, but there was cloud so we saw nothing. We then hiked the Canyon trail to Waipo'o falls. (We are fast hikers, I wouldn't recommend this under time pressure otherwise, it was a lot of uphill on the way back.)

I dropped the rest of the group off at the ship then dropped the rental car at the airport and got back with about 30 minutes to spare. We took a risk ... but it was the last day of the cruise and we really wanted to see Waimea canyon. It was definitely worthwhile. We had seen it on a Helicopter flight the previous day, and it was interesting to see the same thing from a different perspective.

We wanted to visit Waimea Canyon the second day, but wanted the peace of mind to get back to the ship on time. We'd also feel rushed. The second day in Kauai we are taking the ship's Waimea Canyon excursion. It leaves at 8 AM and returns at 1 PM. It makes a couple of stops along the way too. We'll have a car the first day to explore the North Shore, but will return it that evening.

There is no better way to see Kauai on day 2 than to helicopter tour.... specifically the Island Helicopters Jurassic Falls tour. You will see the falls, canyon, Na Pali Coast, North Shore, and the crater all in 90 minutes in grand style.

When that is done, then there is plenty of time to relax and enjoy the ship as you just saw all of Kauai in 90 minutes.

You have to be very careful about "street" parking, since there are a lot of restrictions. Usually you are far better off parking in the approved, pay lots.

I always, keep the car 2 days, and have easily gone and enjoy Waimea Canyon the second day. BUT, for infrequent visitors- I suggest you take the opportunity to visit the first day- IF the weather is clear. Problem- is- with this area- if FOG/low clouds. I have personally seen this several times. You have a good indication right from the dock, with the sky conditions. If it isn't a priority, then certainly leave it for the second day, but you also must be accepting of poor conditions. It is very worthwhile to go to the end, and to the Na Pali views. You can easily turn the car in at 1pm and make it back to the ship in plenty of time.