Tour companies for day trip out of Zurich

Instead of Titlis, consider the train from Zurich to Lucerne (half-hourly, journey time under an hour, about $30 return) and from the station/adjacent pier take the "Golden Round Tour" at around 100 Swiss francs- this involves a steamer trip across the lake, a cog railway up Mt Pilatus, two sets of cablecars down the other side (the first a large cablecar, the second gondolas) & a bus back to Lucerne station. Take as long as you like, stop as long as you like at the different places, & do the tour in reverse order if you like.

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/railway-cableways/golden-round-trip/

Then some time in beautiful Lucerne before the train back to Zurich.

Perhaps not as spectacular as Titlis, but a varied day at your own pace and way way cheaper than a private transfer to Titlis.

The Black Forest is in the opposite direction, the route to it is quite boring but the Black Forest, its lakes & waterfalls & villages are beautiful in the right weather. Route 500 gives you elevated views.

Don't forget to take your passport - Switzerland isn't a Schengen country and theoretically you need to present it when you cross the Rhine into Germany, though most cars are simply waved through.

Can't help re tour operators. Are you brave enough to drive? ;)

JB :)

• 2 months later...

I second going to Lucerne for a day trip. It's my favorite city in Europe. You can do a lake cruise, walk across the bridge, see the lion carving (I forget the name) and Mount Pilatus or Mount Rigi.

If I ever win the power ball I've told my entire family I am moving to a house on Lake Lucerne.