Carrying on Wine

moondog73

There will be 4 of us cruising on the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral in Sept 2015. This is not our first cruise but it will be the first time we are going to bring wine. Since there are 4 adults, we plan to bring 4 bottles of wine. What is the protocol of the bottles being checked during embarkation? I plan to have the bottles in bubble wrapped carrying bags inside of a backpack to keep them from knocking together. Will I need to have them unwrapped out of the bubble wrap to go through security? I was going to try to re-use the bubble wrap bags to take alcohol purchased at the ports home to help protect them while traveling. Just trying to figure out if I need to bring extra bags with me.

There will be 4 of us cruising on the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral in Sept 2015. This is not our first cruise but it will be the first time we are going to bring wine. Since there are 4 adults, we plan to bring 4 bottles of wine. What is the protocol of the bottles being checked during embarkation? I plan to have the bottles in bubble wrapped carrying bags inside of a backpack to keep them from knocking together. Will I need to have them unwrapped out of the bubble wrap to go through security? I was going to try to re-use the bubble wrap bags to take alcohol purchased at the ports home to help protect them while traveling. Just trying to figure out if I need to bring extra bags with me.

I have "Wine Diapers" that I always bring our wine on with(and alcohol back in). You can leave them in there but you will likely need to remove them from the wrapping and show the bottles to security when you go through. A thing to remember if you haven't already.. Bring a foil cutter if they are corked wine bottles and a cork screw. Seems silly but that was my rookie mistake back on our first cruise bringing wine :rolleyes:

I have "Wine Diapers" that I always bring our wine on with(and alcohol back in). You can leave them in there but you will likely need to remove them from the wrapping and show the bottles to security when you go through. A thing to remember if you haven't already.. Bring a foil cutter if they are corked wine bottles and a cork screw. Seems silly but that was my rookie mistake back on our first cruise bringing wine :rolleyes:

Foil cutter??? No need. Try this. Wrap your hand around the top of the bottle -basically make a fist around the foil. Twist the foil gently back and forth while sliding it up over the top of the bottle. The warmth of your hand will loosen up the foil and you should be able to remove it in one piece. It's very impressive to do in front of your friends. I have encountered one or two winds where this didn't work but 99% of the time it does. ImageUploadedByForums1438288910.004140.jpg.030a140ca5b2b7caebcb49b32e946e73.jpg

Two words, "screw top." I have carried on wine just like that many times without any issue.

The only glitch was in March I had to go to secondary inspection so they could check the bottles hadn't been opened and contents replaced with something a little more potent.

I asked the security guard about the extra inspection and was told due to being Spring Break.

Also your cabin steward will provide a corkscrew and wine glasses if needed.

You can always ask at any bar also, for either white or red wine glasses. :)

And I'm sure you'll remember, but the wine has to be in your carryon. I remember a friend threw it in her suitcase at the last minute so the porter could take it, not realizing that she needed to carry it on to be able to enjoy it. Especially now, you won't get it back from what I hear of the new rules.

You can always ask at any bar also, for either white or red wine glasses. :)

And I'm sure you'll remember, but the wine has to be in your carryon. I remember a friend threw it in her suitcase at the last minute so the porter could take it, not realizing that she needed to carry it on to be able to enjoy it. Especially now, you won't get it back from what I hear of the new rules.

We ask our steward to make sure we always have 4 wine glasses and almost never have to liberate any from bars.