Camp Ocean for 10-year-old?

LMinOma

My husband and I are sailing on Carnival Magic this fall with our 10-yr-old daughter. Everything I find about Camp Ocean shows little kids doing "baby" things. Does anyone have experience with an older kid going to Camp Carnival? Did he/she enjoy it?:confused:

There will be age-appropriate activities! No worries! The "babies" have baby activities...the 10 year olds will have 10 year old activities! Most kids LOVE the club, and parents have to drag their kids away.

Your daughter will be in the Sharks group and they really only mingle with the younger kids for evening activities and dance parties. I know they do some activities, but that group has a lot of screen time. There are screens and gaming consoles built into their area because it is what the kids want.

You will also have to decide whether or not you are going to give her sign-out privileges because it is the only way to participate in the scavenger hunt. That might be a discussion best had before you get to orientation.

My 10 year old daughter was in the program last year. She liked it "OK". Didn't love it, didn't hate it. They seemed to do a LOT of "Wii, Just Dance". Some age appropriate crafts, too.

Yes, like Carnival_Brides said, you'll need to give her sign in/out privileges in order to do the scavenger hunts (and they do those often).

My husband and I are sailing on Carnival Magic this fall with our 10-yr-old daughter. Everything I find about Camp Ocean shows little kids doing "baby" things. Does anyone have experience with an older kid going to Camp Carnival? Did he/she enjoy it?:confused:

My 9 and 10 year old LOVED Camp Ocean on the Magic when we went in May. They did a lot of cool things.

Thanks for your input! She doesn't really do video games so we'll see what other activities they have. It's good to know about the scavenger hunts! Are they on their own for these or supervised somewhat?

Are they on their own for these or supervised somewhat?

They are paired up with another child and are instructed to stick together. I only saw groups of two. Not sure if they do bigger groups when there are more kids sailing.

This might give you a better idea of the activities. :)

http://s204.photobucket.com/user/cruisinmama06/library/Camp%20Carnival%20Capers?sort=3&start=all&page=1

Funny, I don't remember my daughter doing half that stuff, though! LOL Just lots and lots of "Wii" and some scavenger hunts.

Edited by MaiTaiMary

I have 4 kids, ages 5,7,9,11. They all ADORE the kids program. It's almost like pulling teeth to get them to come out some days. And then they read the camp schedule, and they're planning their own activities and times that the "Mom, we just have to be there" begging/pleading comes out. Some days are themed, my kids favorite has been the pirate ones. They'll have them make crafts and do face painting. Candy art, movie nights, and open play with the wii and PS3 are also highly anticipated. All in all, the kids camp program is wonderful. My oldest son doesn't feel like he's doing "baby" stuff at all, he's with the other kids dying to get there the second it opens at 9am.

First Cruise - Carnival Dream 2011, 7 nights

Eastern Carribean

Carnival Fantasy - 10th Anniversary Cruise to

Nassau/Freeport, 5 nights

Carnival Liberty - 7 nights with the whole family. Western Caribbean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he's with the other kids dying to get there the second it opens at 9am.

It didn't open until 10:00am on our cruise last November. Then we had to go back to pick them up for lunch, then take them back, then pick them up when they close at 3:30p. That was my biggest complaint. We had an aft cabin and I just felt like we were constantly walking the length of the ship either dropping off or picking up. As soon as we caught our breath, it was time to pick 'em up again. I really wish Carnival would feel them lunch so parents could have some down time. :)

Maybe it was 10, I guess I was thinking it was 9 since we'd go after breakfast. Yes do you have to pick them up for meals, but on port days, if the kids aren't interested in the port, they'll stay the whole day and the camp will take them to lunch

First Cruise - Carnival Dream 2011, 7 nights

Eastern Carribean

Carnival Fantasy - 10th Anniversary Cruise to

Nassau/Freeport, 5 nights

Carnival Liberty - 7 nights with the whole family. Western Caribbean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't imagine not taking kids into port. I would hate for my kids to be playing "Wii" all day instead of exploring different parts of the world. They would never choose Camp Carnival/Ocean over going into port for the day and I don't blame 'em! LOL

Thanks for your input! She doesn't really do video games so we'll see what other activities they have. It's good to know about the scavenger hunts! Are they on their own for these or supervised somewhat?

They are not. They are let loose on the ship with another camper or a small group. By giving them sign-out permission, they have it for the entire cruise, not just the scavenger hunt portions.

My 10 year old has sailed on Carnival twice. To be honest, he is not a fan of Carnival kid's club. He says it's babyish and the staff can be quite strict. The only bonus is him at least being able to sign him self in and out so he's not trapped doing something he dislikes.