Does becoming Elite make you less inclined to book a suite?

junglejane

I really wonder why anyone else cares why a person books a suite?

You and I agree on that one. I suppose it might have a little to do with envy, maybe.

My question seems to have unintentionally bothered some people. My actual original question was not exactly "why do you book a suite" but rather whether, once elite, some people become less inclined to book suites. That gets indirectly to why, i.e., how much of the value of a suite is attributable to the amenities and how much to the extra space. Why do I "care"? Well we're approaching elite, and my instinctive thought is that the elite perks somewhat diminish the value of the suite. But I recognize that I could be missing something. It's customary when you want to learn more to ask people who are more experienced. That's not envy, it's just an efficient way to get information.

The answer to the OP's question of whether or not folks who booked suites before they became Elite would, having become Elite, be less inclined to book a suite would appear to be a definite

NO

I say this on the basis that, whilst a number of folks have used this thread to tells us that suites are not worth the money, no-one who has actually booked a suite before they became Elite has come on to the thread to say that, having obtained entitlement to Elite perks, they no longer feel inclined to book a suite.

Thanks Corfe for focusing on my question. I appreciate all the feedback. Obviously I have to make my own judgment in the end about how much, if any, elite perks will diminish the value of a suite to me. We have loved breakfast at Sabatini's during our 3 suite experiences (2 free upgrades and one upsell). But we do ask ourselves, how much would we be willing to pay for it? How much is free laundry really worth? (That's easier to quantify since the charges do appear on your folio then are comped.) I like the thermal suite but I could pay to use it. How much is the extra space really worth? Then there are other things that are harder to quantify, like priority treatment. For us, I know we will compare suites now to the cost of a mini-suite and decide on a cruise by cruise basis. But I admit that each suite experience makes me more inclined to want a suite again. :)

Edited by junglejane

I say this on the basis that, whilst a number of folks have used this thread to tells us that suites are not worth the money, no-one who has actually booked a suite before they became Elite has come on to the thread to say that, having obtained entitlement to Elite perks, they no longer feel inclined to book a suite.

Good point. I still maintain the biggest perk is space and that can't be bought with Elite status alone.

Hi Jane,

Now that we have got back to the reality of your question, let me try to make a serious and relevant response.

We are in a similar situation to you in that we regularly book suites and will become Elite after our Christmas / New Year cruise this year.

Interestingly, for Christmas / New Year 2016/17 we are planning to cruise back to back on Dawn out of Sydney but have booked a mini-suite rather than our usual suite. This decision however has nothing whatsoever to do with us attaining Elite status.

I did not mention this before as our decision to go for a mini-suite on Dawn was in no way related to becoming Elite. It is simply that, although we have had an aft Owner's suite on Ocean, on we prefer the mid-ship suites to the aft suites and on the Sun class ships, like Dawn, the mini-suites on B deck have a very similar layout to the mid-ship suites we choose on Island / Coral and the larger ships.

skf sorry to hijack this post but I don't know how to send a message you. I saw in another post you had stayed in the Emerald R415 accessible cabin. Can you tell me a little about it. I understand the difference in the bathroom set up but is there any actual difference in the cabin. You had mentioned a larger balcony. My observations were that the balcony was long but pretty narrow, is that what you experienced. Thank you for your response. I am traveling with someone wheel chair bound and is 6'3" so takes a lot of room.