Orlando vs. Melbourne airports?

mspink98

I’ve been nominated to be in charge of checking on flights for at least part of our group going on Mariner in 2007. It’s too early to look at actual rates for 2007, but in looking at the comparable dates for 2006, it looks like fares into Orlando and Melbourne are comparable. Any pros and cons of either airport? It honestly never occurred to me to check Melbourne until today-I just assumed they’d be more, since smaller airports tend to come with higher fares.

We have flown into Orlando several times for our trips to Florida, none in relation to a cruise.

This is a great airport that is easy to navigate. There are also a good variety of carriers because it is a larger airport. It's near one of the main highways, so it's easy to get moving towards your destination.

I've flown to a variety of airports and this is one of my favorites:)

Good Luck with your search.

if i was going with a large group i would do orlando melbourne is great but it will take as long to getto teh port from their as from olrando and lots more traffic.. plus renting or getting a shuttle is harder.. Sanford is fine but unless the orice is a whole lot cheaper orlando is teh best bet easy drive to port no hassles and large airport incase flights get changed etc...

I’ve been nominated to be in charge of checking on flights for at least part of our group going on Mariner in 2007. It’s too early to look at actual rates for 2007, but in looking at the comparable dates for 2006, it looks like fares into Orlando and Melbourne are comparable. Any pros and cons of either airport? It honestly never occurred to me to check Melbourne until today-I just assumed they’d be more, since smaller airports tend to come with higher fares.

How are you going to get to the port?Are you in a day early?

I live near Melbourne airport,but as I rule I use Orlando airport more.

Steve

Hi Ruttie!

Ms pink, as a former long time resident of Melbourne, I have to mention the pros and cons of flying into Melbourne. I agree with Ruttie that it takes about the same time to get to the port from either place (it takes me 25-30 minutes from MLB depending upon the traffic). You can prearrange a shuttle from the airport to the port. Melbourne will be easier when you go to leave. The line for security is MUCH shorter. Getting your luggage is MUCH easier from Melbourne and you have to lug it less distance. I don't know what the difference in shuttle prices is, but I would look into it. Orlando, although beautiful, is a BIG airport. I am flying to LA in December and considering driving from Tampa (3 hours) to leave from Melbourne. For me, it's much less of a hassle (of course, I have family in the area, so I don't have to pay parking).

we flew from seattle to melbourne for a cruise in april, the cost was a little more than orlando but the shuttle was cheaper, we stayed in cocoa beach pre cruise. The melbourne airport was small and very nice (they were doing a lot of construction work) and there were virtually NO LINES for anything, check in or security. It was very stress free and nice. Shuttle took us to hotel NO WAIT, and they were waiting for us as we came off the ship afterwards ( the shuttle service at melbourne airport) would fly there again in a heartbeat.

I agree with cruisin'gal about Sanford-Orlando Int'l airport. We used it for the first time a few weeks ago to fly to Rockford IL via TransMeridian Airlines. It was SO easy to get in and out of!!

Marianne,

I've just got to ask... what were you doing in Rockford? DH and I currently live in Alaska, but I grew up and went to high school in Rockford. My folks still live there, so I get back there to visit about once a year.

elleluv

We are flying in a day ahead of time, definitely. We’ll probably rent a car to drive to Canaveral. We’ve got 8 people going. 2 will be driving from South Carolina and meeting us at whatever hotel we end up at near the Port. 2 (DH and I) will be flying from Milwaukee. 4 will be flying from Chicago. Ideally, we’re going to try to arrange flights that get in at about the same time to the same airport and rent an SUV for the 6 of us, but if that doesn’t work out, so be it. DH and I will rent our own car and the other 4 can rent one for them. There’s an outside chance that DH and I would have to stop in Chicago anyway, and would end up on the same Chicago-Florida flight as the rest of the group anyway. Does anyone happen to know the airport code for Sanford-Orlando? I guessed SFO, but that’s San Francisco. :o

We're flying into Melbourne 2 days prior to our cruise in a few weeks. I considered Orlando and discounted it because of it's size and the sheer volume of people. Anytime we've flown into MCO previously, getting our luggage and the long security/customs lines were a real hassle. The cost of ground transportation at Melbourne is about the same as a car rental and as of this time, I haven't decided which way we'll go. There are pros and cons to both. I have yet to find an easy way to get to our hotel in Cocoa Beach.

Beth

We are flying in a day ahead of time, definitely. We’ll probably rent a car to drive to Canaveral. We’ve got 8 people going. 2 will be driving from South Carolina and meeting us at whatever hotel we end up at near the Port. 2 (DH and I) will be flying from Milwaukee. 4 will be flying from Chicago. Ideally, we’re going to try to arrange flights that get in at about the same time to the same airport and rent an SUV for the 6 of us, but if that doesn’t work out, so be it. DH and I will rent our own car and the other 4 can rent one for them. There’s an outside chance that DH and I would have to stop in Chicago anyway, and would end up on the same Chicago-Florida flight as the rest of the group anyway. Does anyone happen to know the airport code for Sanford-Orlando? I guessed SFO, but that’s San Francisco. :o

Melbourne as a rule has no direct flights anywhere except to Atlanta and the only real airline is Delta,so if most of your party flew delta,then you would all meet in Atlanta and would be on the same plane.There is only 1 hotel at/near the airport and that is the Hilton.They have a free shuttle.

Steve

I rent cars a lot, so I can tell you that the selection is going to be greater at the Orlando airport. In general, the cost to rent an SUV is usually more than double the cost to rent 2 mid-size cars. And, where would you put your luggage if 6 people are in an SUV? Must not be many females going! Also, the Melbourne airport does not have the Fastbreak counters (i.e. frequent car renters express counters). However, it usually doesn't take much time at the counter anyway.

The code for Sanford is SFB.

Archived