Newbie To Cruising - need all advice I can get!

I know most ships have a boarding time but you can go earlier. Example my ship says boarding time is 2pm. I would get there by 11 am. Have lunch when you board and walk around the ship to get your bearings. Then at 1 pm the rooms will be available to go to. Check your room out and drop your carry on off (put it away).

Enjoy your cruise. As above there could be a hic cop or two roll with it. Example your tour says you will have an hour to swim at the beach but you get there early, now you have and hour and 15 minutes. Or you could get there 15 mins late and you only have 45 mins.

There are plenty of food options on the menus. There is something new. If you have restriction on food ie no salt tell you Head Waiter and he/she will ensure that you are taken care of. I have several restrictions and they manage to make my food good. I even tried something new. You may have to order a day ahead but getting the menu for the next day can be an advantage. You will know what is going to be for supper the next day (if you don't like it you can always go some where else on board).

Edited by CaptData

I know you will love the cruise. The first time we traveled to Italy, I worried about my ability to navigate the language. If the travel to the port is at all intimidating, language, luggage, people moving, then you might consider hiring a private operator to meet you in Rome. They would transport you to your hotel or B&B, then to port in A.M., if needed. Multi-generational travel sometimes benefits from this pre-plan. I have taken both the train and taxis from the airport in Rome. Both are fine, but require some ability to luggage wrangle and language wrangle. Highly recommend romecabs, but there are other companies as well. Getting there is part of the fun, so enjoy the planning.

As a VERY frequent flyer and "million miler", I'll add:

Get vacation/cruise/travel insurance!

I usually just buy through the cruise line or TA, but this time I did a lot of shopping and found the best deal, at least for my needs, at globalalerttravel.com. I have heard very good things about them. It does pay to shop around.

If at all possible, you want to arrive at your embarkation port (at least) one day early. Believe me, there are very few feeling in the world worse than flying in and seeing your ship departing the harbor . . .

Excellent advice! And since you are departing from a foreign port, maybe consider spending some extra time there to enjoy it.

Allow yourself extra time –

Airport Check-in –

A government-issued (federal, state, or local) photograph identification (ID) is absolutely required. Each traveler must be prepared to show ID at the ticket counter and subsequent points, such as at the boarding gate, along with an airline issued boarding pass. Curbside check-in is still available on an airline-by-airline basis. Contact your airline. E-ticket travelers should check with your airline to make sure you have proper documentation. Written confirmation, such as a letter from the airline acknowledging the reservation, may be required to pass through a security checkpoint.

Since you are traveling internationally, you'll have a passport, so just use that as your ID in the airport. Also, even when traveling on an E-ticket, the airline will give you a barding card which you MUST have to enter the secured areas of the airport. If you do curbside check-in for your bags, the agent there will issue the boarding card. Remember that these guys are to be tipped, usually a dollar two per bag.

Cameras and electronic items (such as laptops and cell phones) may be checked to ensure that they are what they appear to be. Be prepared to let the screener use your camera to take your picture; remove your laptop from its travel case so that each can be X-rayed separately.

Laptops as well as shoes MUST be placed in their own separate bins for X-ray screening. Some TSA agents consider tablets as laptops, but some don't, so be prepared to be told you "did it wrong" based on that agent's interpretations. Also, the agents have wide discretion. Just because one let you pass through with a 3.4oz bottle of cologne in your bag, another may not.

Limit metal worn on (or in) your person and clothing. If possible, cut back on the piercings and don’t wear the silver stud motorcycle jacket during your travel. Remove metal objects (such as keys, cell phones, wallet chains, change, etc.) prior to passing through the metal detectors to facilitate the screening process. Putting metal objects in your carry-on bag will expedite this.

I keep a Zip-Loc bag in my carryon. Just before entering the security checkpoint queue, I remove all of my metal items (keys, watch, change, pen, billfold, phone, etc.) and place them in the bag, then place the bag in my carryon. I leave my glasses and wedding band on. also, once the agent at the security checkpoint podium has verified your boarding card and ID, you may put those things away. I also place these in the ZipLoc bag. If you go through the full body scanners, they tell you to make sure EVERYTHING is removed from pockets, then they mean it - if you put your ID or boarding card in your pocket, they will see it and need to do an extra check.

Not sure where your room is in proximity to your in-laws but we took magnetic dry erase boards to put on our doors. We went with two other families. Everybody could do their own thing and we would write the time and where we were on the dry erase boards so we could find each other if we wanted.