New in Oceania: My Presentation and some questions

jimcruiser1982

Excellent comment.

Thanks.

Here are two examples from our recent cruise that illustrate that Oceania isn't as standardized as we would like it to be and flexibility helps keep things in perspective.

My husband likes mojitos made using dark spiced rum. We were having cocktails in Martini Bar one evening and he ordered his drink noting his rum preference. The waiter said, "I don't think we have dark spiced rum, but I think the Grand Bar does." Moments later, I could see our waiter on the phone at the bar and, immediately afterwards, he disappeared for a bit. Next, our drinks appeared and my husband's drink was made exactly the way he prefers.

In contrast, here's what happened at the Waves Bar.

The port call at Klaipeda, Lithuania ended at 11:00 PM. Other than taking the long excursion to visit the former Soviet Missiles installation, we, like most cruisers, were back on board reasonably soon. We decided to take advantage of the fact that the ship wasn't moving to spend some time around the pool reading. At some point, I walked over to the Waves bar and ordered two Dark and Stormy cocktails. The bar tender told me he had neither Goslings Dark Rum nor any Ginger Beer. (I'm not so fussy about using Gosling brand Ginger Beer.) I simply burst out laughing. There are only four ingredients in a Dark and Stormy. The remaining two are a wedge of lime and ice cubes.

Now, I know this board has had previous discussions about requests for Gosling's Ginger Beer. I know that people have reported that their request had been fulfilled. I know Jim and Stan have recommended drinking Dark and Stormys on their cruises, although I think Jim and Stan only cruise Marina and Riviera. Was Gosling's Dark Rum and Ginger Beer somewhere on Nautica and the bar tender either didn't know or lacked the initiative to find out? Does it mean that the O ships have bars that are larger and stocked better than the bars on the R ships? I don't know. All I know is that a drink I had every reason to expect to get on an Oceania ship wasn't really available.

I continued to laugh at the silliness of the situation, and I ordered two gin and tonics which we proceeded to enjoy greatly.

Yes, flexibility while cruising is a good thing.

Thanks.

Here are two examples from our recent cruise that illustrate that Oceania isn't as standardized as we would like it to be and flexibility helps keep things in perspective.

My husband likes mojitos made using dark spiced rum. We were having cocktails in Martini Bar one evening and he ordered his drink noting his rum preference. The waiter said, "I don't think we have dark spiced rum, but I think the Grand Bar does." Moments later, I could see our waiter on the phone at the bar and, immediately afterwards, he disappeared for a bit. Next, our drinks appeared and my husband's drink was made exactly the way he prefers.

In contrast, here's what happened at the Waves Bar.

The port call at Klaipeda, Lithuania ended at 11:00 PM. Other than taking the long excursion to visit the former Soviet Missiles installation, we, like most cruisers, were back on board reasonably soon. We decided to take advantage of the fact that the ship wasn't moving to spend some time around the pool reading. At some point, I walked over to the Waves bar and ordered two Dark and Stormy cocktails. The bar tender told me he had neither Goslings Dark Rum nor any Ginger Beer. (I'm not so fussy about using Gosling brand Ginger Beer.) I simply burst out laughing. There are only four ingredients in a Dark and Stormy. The remaining two are a wedge of lime and ice cubes.

Now, I know this board has had previous discussions about requests for Gosling's Ginger Beer. I know that people have reported that their request had been fulfilled. I know Jim and Stan have recommended drinking Dark and Stormys on their cruises, although I think Jim and Stan only cruise Marina and Riviera. Was Gosling's Dark Rum and Ginger Beer somewhere on Nautica and the bar tender either didn't know or lacked the initiative to find out? Does it mean that the O ships have bars that are larger and stocked better than the bars on the R ships? I don't know. All I know is that a drink I had every reason to expect to get on an Oceania ship wasn't really available.

I continued to laugh at the silliness of the situation, and I ordered two gin and tonics which we proceeded to enjoy greatly.

Yes, flexibility while cruising is a good thing.

We were on the Riviera Trans Atlantic this spring. I had read about the "Dark & Stormy" as being THE drink to have while in Bermuda. We were there for an overnight so I asked if I could have that drink in the Horizons Bar while we were there. The bartender told me he did not have any Gosling's Dark Rum but he could make me something similar. I decided to wait until I could have one in Hamilton...which I did! It was good. We did go to the Goslings store in Hamilton and there were lots of passengers buying both the rum and the ginger beer. We thought their dark, spiced rum was excellent! Wondering if I can buy that here in SD? LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

...Gosling's Dark Rum ... and the ginger beer. We thought their dark, spiced rum was excellent! Wondering if I can buy that here in SD? LuAnn

In Virginia, both Goslings rum and ginger beer, even thought it is non-alcoholic, are sold at the ABC stores. In NY, the Goslings Ginger Beer is sold in grocery stores, and the rum is sold in private liquor stores. Ditto for Florida.

In Virginia, both Goslings rum and ginger beer, even thought it is non-alcoholic, are sold at the ABC stores. In NY, the Goslings Ginger Beer is sold in grocery stores, and the rum is sold in private liquor stores. Ditto for Florida.

for that "head's up"!! We have a very large grocery store here in SD called "Vons"...very big in So Cal...with a huge liquor/wine department...I'll check. I understand that in certain states liquor is only sold in "liquor" stores...not the case here in So Cal. I also like dark rum with OJ! LuAnn

To the OP, the best liquor option is Happy Hour between five and six, two for one drinks from Horizons and the Martini bar. Often we take them back to the cabin. Dinner starts at six thirty and we have taken an unfinished glass of wine to dinner.

We've been on Oceania cruises that offered multiple free drinks opportunities like free drinks after ten pm if you show up in Horizons or free drinks if you show up to the Upper Hall for a social event. Watch the daily program Currents for free drink events. Our last cruise offered extensive free open bar nights because we missed ports.

We've been on Oceania cruises that offered multiple free drinks opportunities like free drinks after ten pm if you show up in Horizons or free drinks if you show up to the Upper Hall for a social event.

Free drinks after 10pm I better start going to Horizons after dinner :D

Thank you to everybody for your responses!! They are very useful!!

ok, I take not of all your recomendations. I consider myself a foodie. I love the good food and I hope to have fun with the selections of food in the Marina Baltic cruise.

We have reserved the 4 specialities restaurants at 9:00 pm...I know this time is very late for the majority of the people, but in Spain we usually dine at this time (inclusive later), in fact, at 5-6 pm we usually have a pre-dinner or tea/picnic...so my concern about this, is that we could dine in "alone environment" which it would a little sad in my opinion.

Anther issue. I know Oceania is not very good in entertainment (don't mind for me, I know), but, I have read in another reviews that sometimes there are some events or plays in the pool area or cinema with popcorn... What dou you think?

And, in another reviews I have read that Oceanía prepares a "Brunch" in GDR with marvellous selections of food...this is in all cruises? or not?

Yes, at least on our trip they had movies by the pool with popcorn 3 or 4 nights. They had a party by the pool one night. There is a show each night around 9:30. I think the shows are good and we went to all however I also think the show lounge is terrible. The problem you will have is if you eat a 9pm you will be in conflict with all of it. I have never seen the brunch except in the printed add. I asked and was told it's on few trips, good luck as yours might by one!

Edited by hypercafe

We have reserved the 4 specialities restaurants at 9:00 pm...I know this time is very late for the majority of the people, but in Spain we usually dine at this time (inclusive later), in fact, at 5-6 pm we usually have a pre-dinner or tea/picnic...so my concern about this, is that we could dine in "alone environment" which it would a little sad in my opinion.

I won't dispute the fact that dining in an empty restaurant isn't desirable. Unfortunately, it's the inevitable consequence of choosing to sail on a ship largely populated by cruisers who do not eat as late as Spaniards, especially as late as Madrilenos.

But think of it from the opposite point of view. How do you imagine visitors to Spain feel when trying to cope with your very different dining practices? Our first visit to Madrid, we ate our first dinner at 9:00 PM and dined alone for the first half hour when one other couple -- another English speaking couple -- came into the restaurant. We completed the meal without another patron arriving. The second night, we arrived around 9:30, but the story was the same. The next night, we began our meal at 10:00 PM and the last night, we began at 10:30 PM. During those meals we were not the only patrons in the restaurant. However, we had mixed feelings about having adjusted to the social norm since we got much less touring done after eating late. Our second visit to Madrid, we largely solved the problem by making a meal of tapas around 7:00 PM.

Barcelona, we found easier to handle meal times. The standard dinner time seemed to be in the 8:30 time frame, much closer to our typical 7:30 -- 8:00 PM dinner time.

Pet Nit Noy, Oh how we sympathize. We were in San Sebastian a foodie town if there ever was one. Our preferred dining time is 7p, but at some restaurants that was too early; very disappointing. Even in the Old Town at the tapas bars we were in a less than dynamic environment. I think your question to the OP is right on.

jimcruiser, No offense intended, we had a wonderful time and outstanding food; just wish there was more flexibility on early times.