New cruiser

annestis

Lulu:

I am also new to cruising: and am looking at Western. May I ask why you prefer Easter to Western as first cruise? For my very first I am more about the ship and the cruise itself although plan on visiting the ports without paying for excursions I have heard Western ex's are just okay......are beaches better in Eastern?.

Eastern...western...take your pick. Both have great beaches, beautiful clear water, shopping, history, and things to see and do! Preference is really subjective and what is good for one may not be for another. I would suggest doing some research on several itineraries to both and just see which interests you more. Though we lean heavily toward eastern, we have also enjoyed our western cruises just as much.

Once you figure out which itineraries interest you, check out the ports of call board here and see what folks who have been there/done that have to say. Having done your research, you will probably figure out which direction suits your particular wants best and will book a great cruise!

LuLu:

Yes, we had a cruise booked years ago but had to cancel last min. Had children soon after and haven't been able to cruise till now [emoji4]

Both itineraries are wonderful. The one perk of the Eastern Caribbean is that if you are in the US Virgin Islands, your cell phones work at no additional expense (at least that was the case for us, may not be for all programs). I felt that both itineraries had clear water unless in the stormy winter months. I am sure you will have fun no matter which area you choose to sail.

We also like the Western Caribbean ... but are especially fond of the U.S. Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands. It's hard to beat them for beautiful beaches and clear water. :)

Happily, you can't make a bad decision because both the Eastern and Western Caribbean are wonderful places to cruise. :D

LuLu

My thoughts on the difference is that Eastern = Virgin islands = white coral beaches = cooler sand on the feet. Western = Mexico = coarser sand beaches = hotter sand on the feet. The Mexican beaches are not made of ground up coral so the sand gets really really hot.

I LOVE white coral beaches so if you're more into beaches than seeing ancient ruins, go with an Eastern itinerary.