Delta Trouble - Timing question...

chattkis

Hey! I had booked a flight for our June '06 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale at 2:10pm. Thought that was a good time to make sure we got off the boat in time. NOW Delta has cancelled that flight and put us on the 12:30pm flight. Is that too early? Will we make it? Thanks in advance for any advice

Usually you can make it. The cruise ship give you a questionnaire about your plane flight schedule. On Disney, Holland and Celebrity they have disembarkation according to plane schedules. I wouldn't get anything earlier.

They usually start disembarking around 8:30 - 9:00 and the airlines require 1 1/2 hour arrival before your flight.

I would call Delta and change the flight to a safer time or even come in the day before. They changed my flight once and I just called to see what my alternatives were. Since they changed it to begin with they didn't charge for any changes that I made. Better to be safe than sorry.

Same thing happened to me and flight was changed by 1 hour and 20 mintutes earlier, so called Delta and they changed the flight. I had booked as an e-ticket and was transferred to the group that changes internet bookings, I was on hold for about 30 minutes but once connected there was no problem making a change to the flight. There was no charge to make change.

The good news is that the airport is a stone's throw from the cruise port. Really - it should only take about 10 minutes once you're in a taxi.

It's only a stones throw if they are also sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. The transfer between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will take a lot longer.

Check with RCI, I think they told me they recomend no flights earlier than noon. But depending on getting thru security you could end up really cutting it close. I hate when I am rushed but you could be off the Ship by 8:0 and at the airport by 9:00. afriend just told me that when their ship came in (Carnival) theywere delayed by 3 hrs. before disembarkation started due to something found in someones luggage. So sometimes delays happen. I would probably go for the later and if you get there early see if they can accomodate you on the earlier flight.

How did they notify you of the flight change? Curious, because we have Delta Song booked for July.

They didn't! That's the best part. I keep checking the reservation online with my confirmation number and the times keep getting changed (and the planes for that matter). Although, I am going to wait until January until I sort things out because who knows how many more times it will change. and I want to wait to see what we end up with when they are done restructuring. If you are July, I bet something has changed, I would check online!

I'm glad I read this thread. My husband & I were discussing Delta's proposed flight reductions of 9% starting in December which he read about in this morning's paper. I had mentioned I hoped they didn't make changes to our flights because I was very happy with our non stops each way. After reading this thread, I decided to just check things out & learned that our flights (BOTH WAYS) had been changed. We are going to the port a day early to allow for any potential problems. We were switched from a non-stop to having a stop/change in Tampa and getting in to FLL 2 hours later than we had planned. Our return flight was moved from 6:30 PM to 12:30 PM, which is actually the flight I had wanted, but didn't want to pay the fare for when reserving, & it is a non-stop. I wasn't able to make seat assignments online, but when I called Delta, they had already been made & are acceptable although not my first choice for location. At least they are close to each other. Of course, there was no notification from Delta & I had booked online directly with Delta so there's no opportunity to blame a travel agent or 3 party ticketer. I wonder if they would have ever notified us - maybe they were waiting until closer to the travel date in case they change things several more times before then!! Anyway - thanks for the nudge to look out for ourselves!

MY dad works for Delta, they will work w/ you should you decide to change it.

Most cruise lines now let you have the option of carrying your own luggage off the ship. Our friends went a few weeks ago and did that they were off the ship and on a 9:30 am flight... it was fascinating to us.

Do you think that I should change to something they have available now or wait until the new year when more of the mess is sorted out?

Definately wait. The cuts I just read about are large. 15 to 20% of domestic routes and additions of international flights to offset losses. I know that they have discussed dropping Comair which would end their small airport connections. It would not surpise me if they dropped other airports as well.

Confirming my belief is the announcement that Jet Blue will be establishing an EWR to FLL route in October. That tells me that JB smells blood in the water and wants to absorb a lucrative route.

We had 12:40 out of MIA and had no problems after arriving in Port of Miami at 9:00am.

Of course, traffic may be different but we were fine.

If you go to Pursers desk the last night and tell them you have an early flight and needfirst off tags they will give them to you.

They aren't really holding you hostage on the ship.They just can't let everybody off at once. if you ask for the early tags they have no problem givnig them to you.

Good Luck

Archived