Organic or non GMO foods on board

purplethorn

hello

It's been two years since we cruised Disney and we are considering going again, but I am very apprehensive about the food on board

We are all organic non GMO foods now and from what I can remember there were no such options two years ago

Is that still the case? Does anybody know if DCL has any plan to offer organic foods? I don't mind paying extra for pesticide free food

lol .. I wouldn't mind it for a day or two but after that it becomes too much .. we try to avoid conventional for DD

the food tasted amazing on DCL from what i remember but shame they don't offer organic options ...

ps bug parts is extra protein yum [emoji12]

Edited by purplethorn

It will be fine...so far, no one has been poisoned by the food. I'd rather have a bit of pesticide, than bug parts!

I'd rather not eat chemicals that have been proven to cause cancer, destroy the bee population and contaminate us. No bug parts are in non pesticide treated food, just the destruction of crops and the profits for the farmer.

hello

It's been two years since we cruised Disney and we are considering going again, but I am very apprehensive about the food on board

We are all organic non GMO foods now and from what I can remember there were no such options two years ago

Is that still the case? Does anybody know if DCL has any plan to offer organic foods? I don't mind paying extra for pesticide free food

I try to buy organic if I can for at home, and the same for free range. But accept that most main stream outlets do not, and more speciality outlets.

I honestly don't know if DCL would be able to offer it via their special needs service, but I think that is the best place to ask?

It does say corn fed steak, but not if the corn is organic or GMO free.

It is an interesting question and I wonder if ANY cruise lines out there do indeed offer GMO and Organic food?

Have you also asked this on the Ask a cruise question board?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114

I would be interested to find out if any main cruise lines accommodate this.

ex techie

There are very very few providers who can source true organic/non-gmo (which is an issue in itself - unless you grow it yourself or know the farmer personally) in the quantity needed for a cruise line at the price they will pay.

It's safe to assume that the food on Disney or any mass market line will not meet your criteria (and may not even be sourced from the US)

My family eats only organic, non-Gmo food too. I don't recall Disney having any organic foods on our 2013 cruise. For us, we are going on a cruise in a few months. We will just make the best of it, but after the cruise I will do a cleanse.

By the way, I did do a windstar cruise several years ago, and they did provide organic foods. The food was absolutely amazing.

(and may not even be sourced from the US)

Actually, DCL is very strict about this part. Other than the European cruises, they purchase ONLY US food. And they have been known to fly in US food on some of the European cruises, although obviously they have now developed safe, reliable sources there.

They specifically do not purchase any food in Mexico or any of the islands. And they have DCL inspectors who check every shipment before it is loaded onto the ships!

But back to OP, no..as far as I know, there is no organic component.

thanks all , thanks ex techie for your suggestion! I have not asked anywhere else

I figured I would ask here first since Disney is such a huge and innovative company and possibly they might be able to implement/offer something like this

They also have some of the best quality food the industry has to offer so i thought maybe they are trying it out

Organic It's definitely very accessible now a days I don't see why not on a cruise

thanks all , thanks ex techie for your suggestion! I have not asked anywhere else

I figured I would ask here first since Disney is such a huge and innovative company and possibly they might be able to implement/offer something like this

They also have some of the best quality food the industry has to offer so i thought maybe they are trying it out

Organic It's definitely very accessible now a days I don't see why not on a cruise

I agree that it is accessible and will become more so if if people do request no GM, organic and free range.

Until then, I think the cruise lines will buy food at a quality point they accept but at the cheapest possible price they can. Such a shame as dining is a very important part of cruising.

Offering free range organic eggs would be a start, along with free range organic bacon and sausages and chicken.

They COULD make a very big difference and shake things up and be mass market cruising leaders as they once were and set themselves apart from the others, leading the others to follow suit.

ex techie

As a note, at least in the US they use many of the same providers as other lines (there are not many who can handle logistics although Disney does not need as much volume as the others). In all reality, the produce you get on Disney out of let's say Port Canaveral is probably not substantively different than Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale and possibly the Outback steakhouse down the block. Same for meats. For example, Cargill handles most of Carnival Lines (the steakhouse on some Princess ships is named after their beef). Apollo handles NCL out of Miami and I think Disney as well (they used to, have not seen latest deal announcements. Magaya handled logistics for Disney, Carnival, Costa, some NCL ships, pretty sure they contract out food sourcing.

As a note, at least in the US they use many of the same providers as other lines (there are not many who can handle logistics although Disney does not need as much volume as the others). In all reality, the produce you get on Disney out of let's say Port Canaveral is probably not substantively different than Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale and possibly the Outback steakhouse down the block. Same for meats. For example, Cargill handles most of Carnival Lines (the steakhouse on some Princess ships is named after their beef). Apollo handles NCL out of Miami and I think Disney as well (they used to, have not seen latest deal announcements. Magaya handled logistics for Disney, Carnival, Costa, some NCL ships, pretty sure they contract out food sourcing.

Whilst I think that is great information about who supplies most of the cruise lines, it is missing the part when the cruise line dictates the standard of the cut and quality of the meat.

I can say for sure, that the quality and cuts of meat served in the crew mess are NOT the same as what was served in a Guest restaurant.

And in the same vein, the sirloin in the MDR's if not the same as served in Palo or Remy?

Whilst every cruise line might be buying from the same suppliers, but they dictate the quality of the meat, veg, and ingredients supplied to them.

And DCL have enough buying power to dictate who they use for their meat and veg based alone on who they buy their produce from in Florida with the World as that is not going to be a small buyer.

If poor quality produce is being loaded onto DCL it is not without permission. The head Chef's would be fired otherwise.

They will continue to push for lower quality food until people fight back and say sorry this unacceptable at the table and send it back over and over again.

Then when they suddenly need 1800 steaks and 600 are sent back as being too fatty, tough, tasteless, then they will change the quality.

Will 600 people send their steak back? Nope. Probably 10% of them.

It's dumb. You can always cut corners. And people do notice and most do not complain and just say the food on DCL was just OK, some notice the difference and say so. A bit like the question about GMO free and Organic.

DCL used to pioneer the market with child care facilities, family friendly entertainment, the only whatever at sea, but other cruise lines have caught up and are matching what DCL had.

DCL now need to excel themselves again, and I think although they have the contract with Coca-Cola, they need to focus again on the kids and welfare whilst aboard. Offer free range organic fed meats, organic veggies, free trade coffee and fruits. And sing about it! If they want to be the kid and family friendly cruise line that they have always said they are, make it known and in your face. Add some value back into their brand of families and friends all having the best vacation possible.

ex techie

Interestingly, I recently received an email from Royal Caribbean with a survey about my interest in/concern about various topics areas such as organic food, responsibly sourced products, "green" cleaning products, etc., and asking about what percentage increase I would be willing to pay for those things. So, it sounds like that company has received feedback from passengers and are gauging interest levels to see if if is economically feasible. Of course that's not Disney but who knows what will happen in the future if they receive enough feedback.

Interestingly, I recently received an email from Royal Caribbean with a survey about my interest in/concern about various topics areas such as organic food, responsibly sourced products, "green" cleaning products, etc., and asking about what percentage increase I would be willing to pay for those things. So, it sounds like that company has received feedback from passengers and are gauging interest levels to see if if is economically feasible. Of course that's not Disney but who knows what will happen in the future if they receive enough feedback.

Thats good news for RCI Guests!

I feel DCL are late to the game again.

As to what percentage I would be willing to pay extra. NONE.

That should be on the company as part of their CSR. (Corporate Social Responsibility) They need to make the shareholders burden the pain and cost of these changes, not the Guest.

They as a company should be absorbing the costs along with using greener and cleaner fuels than already required, as Carnival Corp has just ordered ships that will run on LNG instead of highly polluting heavy diesel oil whilst in international waters, and low sulphur diesel when in US and European ports.

Frizzell tells Cruise Critic that these will be the first cruise ships to sail under LNG power. When asked how the fuel system compares with the systems currently using scrubber technology, he said it "will exceed ECA requirements." He also says that the cost of LNG fuel isn't expected to impact cruise fares.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6408

ex techie

That and all new ships should be made with the capability to "cold iron" the engines whilst docked and use shore power. Shore power provided by renewable resources, such as wind farms, solar, and wave technology from the ports.

AFAIK the Dream, Fantasy, and Wonder are all able to. Only the Wonder uses that technology when on the West Coast, and the other just sit in dock burning fuel and polluting the air, rather than the port supplying the power for them from the grid at least.

Disgusting really.

ex techie

very well said ex techie ... and the prices on organic produce are normalizing since a lot of farmers are now jumping on the bandwagon so there shouldn't be too much surcharge there .. free range meats is still pricey though

this is awesome news too ..

That and all new ships should be made with the capability to "cold iron" the engines whilst docked and use shore power. Shore power provided by renewable resources, such as wind farms, solar, and wave technology from the ports.

AFAIK the Dream, Fantasy, and Wonder are all able to. Only the Wonder uses that technology when on the West Coast, and the other just sit in dock burning fuel and polluting the air, rather than the port supplying the power for them from the grid at least.

Disgusting really.

ex techie

You can bet the Wonder only does it because there are laws or regulations mandating that they do while in Alaska. It would seem logical that it would be less costly for the cruise line was well as providing a cleaner energy source, but what do I know?

You can bet the Wonder only does it because there are laws or regulations mandating that they do while in Alaska. It would seem logical that it would be less costly for the cruise line was well as providing a cleaner energy source' date=' but what do I know?[/quote']

She was the only one retrofitted AFAIK. And yes, because they required it for LA ports and I think Victoria BC. I also think they had to undertake a lot of work on her exhaust system to comply with emissions.

From what I've read, the Dream and Fantasy were both built with the capability, but neither currently use it. I would be pissed if I were a PC resident and the ship had the ability to cold iron and wasn't required to use it at the dock.....

ex techie

very well said ex techie ... and the prices on organic produce are normalizing since a lot of farmers are now jumping on the bandwagon so there shouldn't be too much surcharge there .. free range meats is still pricey though

Can only hope that the pain and suffering of animals reared in tiny, smelly and disgusting barns without access to daylight or fresh air, let alone space to move around freely makes more news so more people offer it, and the price also decreases due to demand.

It isn't like there is a lack of space. It's more about profits for the famers, and cruise lines not willing to pay a little extra because of their bottom line.

ex techie

According to the Navigators posted online, most nights they have some kind of organic chicken dish. Of course, that doesn't mean that the sides are necessarily organic too. We eat organic at home but have accepted this isn't always going to be possible when out to eat.

Edited by DisneyAdventurer

"As to what percentage I would be willing to pay extra. NONE.

That should be on the company as part of their CSR. (Corporate Social Responsibility) They need to make the shareholders burden the pain and cost of these changes, not the Guest.

They as a company should be absorbing the costs along with using greener and cleaner fuels than already required, as Carnival Corp has just ordered ships that will run on LNG instead of highly polluting heavy diesel oil whilst in international waters, and low sulphur diesel when in US and European ports."

Sorry but the above post is ridiculous. DCL is a for profit company and they are not just going to absorb these extra cost. They will pass them onto their guest. you cannot have it both ways... Demand more expensive organic/non GMO food and expect to pay the same as conventional. Don't get me wrong I buy mostly organic and non GMO at home but I expect to pay more. I do not expect my grocery store to absorb the cost. I really feel like this is a ridiculous expectation!

"As to what percentage I would be willing to pay extra. NONE.

They as a company should be absorbing the costs along with using greener and cleaner fuels than already required, as Carnival Corp has just ordered ships that will run on LNG instead of highly polluting heavy diesel oil whilst in international waters, and low sulphur diesel when in US and European ports."

Sorry but the above post is ridiculous. DCL is a for profit company and they are not just going to absorb these extra cost. They will pass them onto their guest. you cannot have it both ways... Demand more expensive organic/non GMO food and expect to pay the same as conventional. Don't get me wrong I buy mostly organic and non GMO at home but I expect to pay more. I do not expect my grocery store to absorb the cost. I really feel like this is a ridiculous expectation!

I guess my opinion is that with DCL being a family centric cruise line, they should be offering good quality, healthy, responsibly raised and grown produce in the MDR's and where possible poolside.

They keep hiking the price up and up constantly, but offer nothing of extra value in return.

You buy organic and non GMO at home because you have a choice of stores to buy from and a choice in that store to buy organic and non GMO or not. You can chose what restaurant you may eat at based upon the ingredients they use.

On a cruise 3/4/7/14 day cruise, you have to eat what they provide onboard. You have no choice, so that is "a" difference.

Again, being a family based cruise line, they should be using healthy, high quality and responsibly sourced food aboard. Whilst that may dip a little into their profits, they are raising cruise fares and surcharges, so I think they should be giving a bit back, and this is an easy, simple way to show themselves as a brand that you can trust to take care of your family.

It is obviously on Royals radar. I've not heard reports from anyone that DCL are also surveying their Guests opinions.

As I said before:

DCL now need to excel themselves again, and I think although they have the contract with Coca-Cola, they need to focus again on the kids and welfare whilst aboard. Offer free range organic fed meats, organic veggies, free trade coffee and fruits. And sing about it! If they want to be the kid and family friendly cruise line that they have always said they are, make it known and in your face. Add some value back into their brand of families and friends all having the best vacation possible.

I think they are making enough profit to swallow this cost, add some value back into the brand and justify the additional cost and consistent price increases to those they have alienated from cruising with them. Be the market leaders in main stream cruising "firsts" again.

Because although they do not have a problem filling their ships as of now, when they do get new ships, they may face a problem filling them at todays overly inflated prices, and that will do little to satisfy the shareholders who have now also taken on a $2B mortgage on new ships as well.

JMO. And you may not agree with it, you may still think the Guest should shoulder the increase in cost if they offered it. Each to their own though.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Firstly, sorry to both of you as I missed your posts when I commented earlier!

According to the Navigators posted online, most nights they have some kind of organic chicken dish. Of course, that doesn't mean that the sides are necessarily organic too. We eat organic at home but have accepted this isn't always going to be possible when out to eat.

Hi DisneyAdventurer and Welcome!

Thanks for the info! I've just looked up a few menus and some DO say Farm Raised Organic Chicken! So Yay DCL! Others say All Natural, so I hope that does mean Organic GMO free as well! And just Farm Raised, and that means nothing really!

But it is a start!

A nice start would be to have one or two organic, free range options each night. Also it works would allow DCL to gauge interest. I sail in September and will mention it on my comment card.

I think your idea is great! They need to show they care about healthy food!

Interestingly Scotland have banned GMO!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/09/us-scotland-gmo-idUSKCN0QE0GQ20150809

Good for them! Now everyone else needs to!

And good for you to tell them on your comment card!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Most European countries have gone non-gmo - but even vessels which are sailing mostly European ports - IF they make a stop in the US, such as a crossing - are subject to having their meats under USDA certification/jurisdiction. There have been other threads on here before about it, and what that entails, if you do a search.

If you want that food you will have to pay more for it. We get grass fed beef, free-range chicken, wild caught salmon and other fish, as well as Neiman ranch pork on the board when we sail certain ships, but we also sail in a suite with a separate restaurant and it's twice the cost. I don't do it just because of the higher quality food, there are many bonuses - but I do know the food will be great and of the highest quality. But it costs more. There is no way around the fact that if you eat in a specialty restaurant, for 100 people, everything cooked to order, you get better quality than what they give you in a 700 person restaurant with a set menu. And you will have to pay a great deal more to get that better quality of beef, pork, or fish. I have to agree that I don't think any cruise line will absorb the cost of serving the grass fed beef, wild caught coho salmon or other such foods to 4000 people every night. But they may serve them to 400 people who paid double. That just seems like reality for a company with shareholders to keep happy.

Perhaps a line like Oceania who specializes in "foodie" cruises will make the change for all passengers. I don't see Disney doing this on their ships...