A nice upgrade from HAL

bh2359

We'll be on the Zuiderdam on September 24th. We booked a category "N" guarantee as we always do. On the new ships, cabins on the bottom deck inside is not that bad at all.

Checked the HAL website tonight and found our cabins posted. We had been upgraded from a inside category "N" to an OUTSIDE category "F"!

The last cruise we also booked an inside guarantee - on the Elation - and we also received an upgrade to an outside. There's a thread here somewhere where several people stated that upgrades on a guarantee were ONLY from inside to inside, outside to outside etc. I beg to differ and we are very happy with HAL for this one.

See you there. Have fun.

We booked a category "N" guarantee as we always do.

Here's another example of 'who knows how the upgrade fairy works'. We booked an M guarantee and got an L. So a one category upgrade. It's on the Verandah Deck in the aft. We're just happy to be going.

Robin (this will be our fifth HAL cruise)

BH2359

How did you book your cruise? Enjoy your good fortune.

I'm self employed and work from home, thus, we can travel anytime. This is our 15th cruise since 2000. We simply search the internet for a cruise we might be interested in and watch the prices. If and when it looks like what we want, we book it.

We got this one just over a month ago.

We've been on this western itinerary several times already but there were two stops that were of interest to us.

Key West: We had planned a seaplane trip to the Dry Tortugas this past June on a driving trip to Florida but engine troubles kept us from doing it. As this cruise stopped at Key West, we can try again to do this.

Grand Cayman: We have tried THREE times to swim with the stingrays but weather has stopped us all three times. This cruise stops at Grand Cayman and we are trying again to do this.

Costa Maya: We've been here before and, in our opinion, there is nothing there to visit. It gives us a day on the ship to sit in the hot tubs and pool with everyone off the ship.

Half Moon Cay: Never been here before (this is our first cruise with HAL) but have read some great reviews about the beach etc. and am looking forward to it.

This is our first time with HAL but so far, all is turning out very well. We take a cruise to be able to do absolutely nothing if we so choose, away from visitors, phone calls, and work.

I've been on these boards for some time now and have learned quite a bit and want to thank all of you that post all that good information. No matter how many cruises you've been on, it is still a learning experiance.

I'm a lover of the sea and of the vintage ocean liners, when a ship looked like a ship. I've been on the S.S. Norway three times before she was removed from service, and was on the Regal Empress (originally the Olympia) this past June. There is just something about being on a ship at sea that can't be matched for a vacation.

Sorry to ramble so much, i'm just looking forward to going on this one. Thanks again for all the help and hints.

I was just in Key West and was able ti visit the Dry Tortugas.............by ferry though as we had no ship to get on. I loved it!!!!! They were actually closed for a while because of Katrina and had just reopened the day before we went. I know Rita went that way as well............I dont recall when your cruise is but you may want to see if the Fort has opened. You will enjoy it alot............very beautiful there!

I was just in Key West and was able ti visit the Dry Tortugas.............by ferry though as we had no ship to get on. I loved it!!!!! They were actually closed for a while because of Katrina and had just reopened the day before we went. I know Rita went that way as well............I dont recall when your cruise is but you may want to see if the Fort has opened. You will enjoy it alot............very beautiful there!

Thanks for the info.

We are flying by seaplane and just called them. They said that Key West airport (and their office) had been flooded and just opened and that by the 30th (When we'll be there), all will be okay.

If anyone is going to the Dry Tortugas by boat, I can not answer for them but the seaplanes wouldn't be flying there if it was closed.

Also, for those leaving on the Zuiderdam tomorrow (24th), I just called HAL and they said that the original itinerary is intact. No missed or changed ports because of the hurricane.

Do not book your sting ray with HAL. Its a big boat and goes where snorkeling can be done near a reef. The 'sing ray" part was quite limited unless you are a strong swimmer and get close the the ones putting out the food.

I'm sorry to say the private boat we took our first time at Cayman (Capt. Eddie was the owner) doesn't seem to be operating. But by all means search out something for a group of four or so and it won't be that much more. Be sure you are going to be where you stand in the water and get to feed the sting rays yourself. It was a teriffic experience. I can still feel the water, the sun and those slinky critters. Just great.

After the sting ray fun, he took us to where we could snorkel without being in really deep water. I would gladly have paid double. That said we have signed up for the HAL sting ray excursion on HMC. My understanding is that it is land based.

Congratulations on the upgrade.....enjoy the view! :)

Blessings,

Archived