Jewel to Alaska....Fjord viewing?

RN7997

I am curious for those of you that have sailed the Jewel with Sawyer Glacier after Juneau where was the best place to be for viewing the glacier. Any recent travelers that can speak to the sites you could see from the ship. I have the small boat add on booked and still debating. Read great things but also read someone said there are times the Jewel gets just as close and views are similar?

If you have pics that is even better!

I am curious for those of you that have sailed the Jewel with Sawyer Glacier after Juneau where was the best place to be for viewing the glacier. Any recent travelers that can speak to the sites you could see from the ship. I have the small boat add on booked and still debating. Read great things but also read someone said there are times the Jewel gets just as close and views are similar?

If you have pics that is even better!

Since there is no way to predict the future- most cruise ships only get to the Sawyer Island. this gives a distant partial via by cruise ship. You can not expect anything more. NCL Jewel, does not have lower front viewing either, only upper. The expansive views are forward, otherwise it doesn't matter which "side". I would suggest you consider being on the move. I only view from the lowest open deck myself. Always plenty of space.

With the add on tour- there are greater possibilities for wildlife viewing. You can also possibly see the North Sawyer Glacier, but always have a better view compared to the cruise ship purely by being on the water. This tour is NOT for everyone- but, what I consider "necessary" for anyone, wanting the "best" scenic opportunities.

We took the small boat excursion. The Jewel could not get down Tracy Arm because there was too much ice, so we both went down Endicott Arm. The small boat stopped several times for us to see many seals, two bears and a mother & calf whale. For the whale, the boat killed the engines and we were stopped about 10-15 minutes watching them. I doubt that the Jewel stopped anywhere, but they probably made an announcement. We got down to 1/2 mile from the Dawes glacier and the Jewel was 4 miles back from us. So I would highly recommend the small boat excursion.

100_1206.jpg.b299db241bace758d2084f274426431f.jpg

100_1213.jpg.5b44d81fff1ceded5b8f10c628242701.jpg

100_1253.jpg.4b7df6b1daba18f5c1fb43e8e1cbe234.jpg

P1040320.jpg.829b0cfcef6b9d65b4d3776e7d8b34fd.jpg