Local currency needed in Dubrovnik?

There is also a shop where you can exchange Euro,$ or £s for Kuna, beside the main entrance to Dubrovnik, where all the buses drop off and pick up.

My personal experiences for the past 7 years is that the private exchange shops will give a lesser exchange rate plus change fees. The ATM machines rate is from your home bank and their service fee is normally far less. Check with your home bank for the fees prior to departure.

Thank you for the helpful replies.

Just to pile on. When you get into the old town, one of the first things you'll see right after the gate is the old water cistern right in the middle of a little square. Just past that is a bank with an ATM on the outside. I used my debit card there with absolutely zero issues!

I did find that the vendors themselves (such as the jewelry shops) were okay with dollars. But you will need kuna for the wall.

But the upshot is...very easy to get Kuna. Just don't over-buy them, because you won't get the same rate if you try to sell unused ones back and you can't really use them anywhere else.