ADA Rules on transfers

CRUISEWITHH

If the hotel provides shuttle services for abled body guests than they must do so for disabled guests as well. It's important to note that if it's provided free to abled body guests than it must be free to the disabled guest even though the hotel has to arrange for and pay for accessible transportation. If the Hotel charges a fee to the abled body guests than the hotel can same the same exact fee to the disabled guest regardless of the cost that the Hotel has to pay for the accessible transportation.

Always best to ask to call the hotel directly and ask to speak to directly to the Manager rather than just calling reservations.

Thanks xxoocruiser, I thought there was a policy on that, but just wasn't sure. Do you know if it is an ADA policy?

We always get a funny look when my husband shows up with a scooter, even thou the scooter folds to the size of a suitcase and weighs about 60 pounds. We haven't had a big problem yet, but I always want to be prepared in case we do.

Thanks xxoocruiser, I thought there was a policy on that, but just wasn't sure. Do you know if it is an ADA policy?

We always get a funny look when my husband shows up with a scooter, even thou the scooter folds to the size of a suitcase and weighs about 60 pounds. We haven't had a big problem yet, but I always want to be prepared in case we do.

Caniot site the exact wording but the fact that ADA was designed to give equal rights to the disabled is good enough. If you get push back from the Hotel Manager than just tell him/her that you'll be filing a complaint with the U.S. Federal Dept. of Justice as well as contacting the State's Attorney's Office and the Federal District Attorney's office for that state. That usually gets them to do the right thing.

I am staying at the embassy suites/ ft. Lauderdale in December. they have a shuttle from the hotel to the ship for around $16.00 I asked if they could handle my scooter and they told me they could not. Instead they gave me a name of a taxi service that can handle the scooter. Of course it will be more expensive.

I am staying at the embassy suites/ ft. Lauderdale in December. they have a shuttle from the hotel to the ship for around $16.00 I asked if they could handle my scooter and they told me they could not. Instead they gave me a name of a taxi service that can handle the scooter. Of course it will be more expensive.

Suggest you call the Embassy Suites and speak directly to the manager. Just giving you the name of an accessible taxi is NOT acceptable in accordance with ADA. The Hotel is to arrange for and pay for the complete cost of the accessible taxi only charging you the $16.00 they charge able bodied guests for its shuttle. If the Hotel refuses than contact the corporate head quarters for Embassy Suites. Also file a complaint with US Federal Dept. of Justice, Federal District Attorney of Florida as well as the State's attorney's office of Florida.

Hotels get away with this because no one files a complaint. The Embassy Suites a franchised brand of Hilton Hotels and I can tell you for certain that Hilton definitely is well aware of its responsibility under ADA Law in regards to the matter.

Attn: Mutsy and Cruisewithh

Refer to the following link http://www.ada.gov/reachingout/lesson71.htm

Edited by xxoocruiser

Suggest you call the Embassy Suites and speak directly to the manager. Just giving you the name of an accessible taxi is NOT acceptable in accordance with ADA. The Hotel is to arrange for and pay for the complete cost of the accessible taxi only charging you the $16.00 they charge able bodied guests for its shuttle. If the Hotel refuses than contact the corporate head quarters for Embassy Suites. Also file a complaint with US Federal Dept. of Justice, Federal District Attorney of Florida as well as the State's attorney's office of Florida.

Hotels get away with this because no one files a complaint. The Embassy Suites a franchised brand of Hilton Hotels and I can tell you for certain that Hilton definitely is well aware of its responsibility under ADA Law in regards to the matter.

Of course, you may not get quite the result you want. Our local barber was told (under UK law) that if he provided toilets for the able-bodied, he had to provide them for the disabled too. He found a simple solution - no toilets for anyone.

Of course, you may not get quite the result you want. Our local barber was told (under UK law) that if he provided toilets for the able-bodied, he had to provide them for the disabled too. He found a simple solution - no toilets for anyone.

Your situation was specific to UK law. Under USA ADA law any public building built prior to the implementation of ADA law is grandfathered in with regards to not having ,accessible toilets until such time that the building undergoes renovations. Because of this many USA buildings built prior to the implementation of ADA law just avoid doing renovations.

Specific to USA Hotels ADA law is very clear as to providing the equivalent services to those with a disability that are being provided to the abled bodied. Of course a hotel has the right to discontinue providing shuttle service at anytime. However being that providing that service helps to increase hotel bookings thus increasing revenue most hotels just view the small cost of providing accessible transportation on an incremental basis as the cost of doing business. However there hotels that will blatantly attempt to avoid complying with ADA law by just telling the individual that they must arranged for themselves as it's easier. As well as there are times that it's a matter of the front desk and reservation personnel having not be properly trained. in the matter. Thus the reason that the disabled must speak up for themselves and file a complaint if necessary. .

Edited by xxoocruiser

Here is a forum thread about this:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169831

With all do respect it appears that you may not have read all information I posted in this thread as coincidently the link I sited in post 6 of this thread happens to be the same link that the OP in the other thread posted. So the link you posted is basically saying the thing.