Le Havre bus schedule for Sept 2015

kirian

I am planning to take the bus from Le Havre to Honfluer when my upcoming cruise is in port (we are in Le Havre from 7a-9p or Friday, Sept 4). The schedules posted on the Bus Verts website still only go through the end of August (and Sept is less than 3 weeks away :eek:)

Does anyone know when they typically post their updated schedules? I know there are only a couple of buses between the two towns each day, so I want to be able to plan as far in advance as possible which I plan to take... but that's kind of difficult if there is no schedule :p

Thanks for any inside thoughts or advice folks might have (and no, we are not wanting to take a taxi or be on a tour.... we have plenty of time in Port so in theory, we should be able to accomplish what we want (spend a couple of hours in Honfleur) by taking the local (aka cheap) bus)

Thanks!!!

Melissa

Hi, we did this a few years ago. I just looked at the summer bus schedule and it looks about the same as it did then, so I doubt that the fall schedule will look very different.

According to the current summer schedule, there are two buses in the morning, line 39 at 7:10 (too early) and line 50 at 8:54. When we went, we took the first afternoon bus, line 50. According to the current summer schedule, that bus leaves at 12:38. We spent about four hours in Honfleur, shopping, strolling and eating at one of the restaurants lining the Old Harbor, before catching the bus back.

There were two cruise ships in port that day, and the bus tickets sold out very quickly. We walked to the station in the morning, bought our tickets from there (not on the bus), then walked to a cafe for coffee and came back to queue early. Not everyone queuing was able to get on the bus and had to wait for the next one. (BTW, you validate your ticket when you board the bus.) On the way back, we started queuing early, and the bus filled very quickly.

So, even though there are few buses and probably lots of other cruise ship passengers wanting to do this, it's a long time in port and is doable if you don't mind waiting for buses. We thought that Honfleur was worth the waiting and walking to and from the station. We loved our day there.

And I will just add that the bus station is located directly behind the train station. The walk from the port took us about 20 minutes. The agent at the station spoke English, gave us a schedule and circled the times for the return buses. The bus drivers did not speak English except for the word "stop" which they said loudly and frequently when passengers failed to validate their tickets:)

Edited by Chloe1500
To add info about the station

Thanks so much for the detailed reply!!!!

I have a couple of additional questions for you:

- You said you bought your tickets in the morning for the 1st afternoon bus, then still went to the stop early to queue. So are you saying even though you might have a ticket, you still aren't guaranteed a seat on the bus? I'm guessing then that the tickets you buy at the station are not for a specific pick-up time then... correct?

- Did you also buy your return ticket from Honfluer in the morning from the Le Havre station, or did you wait and purchase it from the Honfleur station?

I have heard people make mention before how the buses can fill-up, so I just want to be sure I have the inside scoop from someone like yourself that has used the bus service so that I know the best way to handle things (so we get on the buses we want the first time) :)

Thanks a bunch!!!

Melissa

You're welcome!

- You said you bought your tickets in the morning for the 1st afternoon bus, then still went to the stop early to queue. So are you saying even though you might have a ticket, you still aren't guaranteed a seat on the bus? I'm guessing then that the tickets you buy at the station are not for a specific pick-up time then... correct?

That's right. You can use the ticket for any of the buses to Honfleur, but just once. So, you validate the ticket after you get on the bus. Although one can purchase a ticket from the driver, I'd recommend buying it at the station because of high demand when the cruise ship docks. Some passengers told us they were unable to buy a last-minute ticket because the station agent stopped selling after reaching capacity. Boarding is at the Le Havre station.

- Did you also buy your return ticket from Honfluer in the morning from the Le Havre station, or did you wait and purchase it from the Honfleur station?

We bought a return ticket at the Le Havre station. I wouldn't wait to buy it in Honfleur.

Wonderful!!! Thank you again for sharing your experience on exactly how you did everything. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

My mom and I are really looking forward to spending a relaxing afternoon strolling through Honfluer (especially because after that, we have lots of ports where we have full day excursions booked... it will be nice to start off kind of slow)

Happy cruising and thanks again!

Melissa

That's exactly how we felt. I recommend having lunch outside in a restaurant on the harbor. There are several to choose from. Have a great trip!

Agree and its part of our normal day whenever we are in the region (whether on a cruise of just a long driving trip). We suggest that when you get to the small Honfleur harbor you first walk around and check-out the daily specials (often posted on either a chalk board or handwritten sign). I should also mention that DW and I have found the Moules et Frites (Mussels and fries) in these restaurants to be among the best in the world.

Hank

Agree and its part of our normal day whenever we are in the region (whether on a cruise of just a long driving trip). We suggest that when you get to the small Honfleur harbor you first walk around and check-out the daily specials (often posted on either a chalk board or handwritten sign). I should also mention that DW and I have found the Moules et Frites (Mussels and fries) in these restaurants to be among the best in the world.

Hank

Oh my!!! That sounds delicious! Some of the best mussels I have ever had were in Dubrovnik, so I will be very happy to take the "taste test" challenge and do my part for the culinary world by sampling these yummy critters in Honfleur and reporting back.

Melissa