Photography

Lily Love

Did anyone hire a photographer that wasn't provided by the cruise line? I've read that you aren't allowed to do this but as I've googled & searched real cruise weddings some have photographers they've hired & brought on the ship as part of their wedding party. I'd like photos of the days leading up to the wedding as well as through out the wedding day. I'm looking into sailing on the Norwegian Sky. Does anyone know if it's against the rules to have the photographer sail with me as part of the wedding party?

Did anyone hire a photographer that wasn't provided by the cruise line? I've read that you aren't allowed to do this but as I've googled & searched real cruise weddings some have photographers they've hired & brought on the ship as part of their wedding party. I'd like photos of the days leading up to the wedding as well as through out the wedding day. I'm looking into sailing on the Norwegian Sky. Does anyone know if it's against the rules to have the photographer sail with me as part of the wedding party?

I have only ever heard of the ships photographer doing it, but I guess a guest can take photos too.

I'd read your contract very carefully to see what is allowed and decide whether or not you're willing to deal with the consequences. Carnival used to have strict wording in their contracts and reserved the right to cancel your wedding with no refund--word is they've eased up in the last few years. I'm not as familiar with the NCL contract.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I'd read your contract very carefully to see what is allowed and decide whether or not you're willing to deal with the consequences. Carnival used to have strict wording in their contracts and reserved the right to cancel your wedding with no refund--word is they've eased up in the last few years. I'm not as familiar with the NCL contract.

That's the answer to most questions on CC read the contract.

• 4 weeks later...

I know RCCL expressly forbids you from having your own photographer. You are required to use the photographer they provide.

I got married on the Carnival Dream. My sister is a great photographer. I had her taking pictures pre-wedding while we were hanging out in port town and while we were getting ready. Then we had ships photographer take photos of wedding, reception, and posed photos. That way my sister was able to enjoy the wedding & reception. She still took a lot of photos during that time also, but it wasn't her "job" and she was able to enjoy the day as a guest. Then at one of the ports, we got all dressed up again and had my sister do a photo shoot on the beach... these turned out to be some of my favorite photos. So, we kind of mixed both.

The only regret I have of this is that we purchased the awesome (expensive) photo albums from the ship... and they are amazing but they don't include everything that I consider to be my wedding. My wedding experience started the day we all arrived in town, included getting nails & hair done, our bachelor/bachelorette night out on the town before the cruise, the wedding & reception, then the whole cruise afterward. So, I made a Shutterfly book that includes the whole wedding experience. It's not nearly as good quality as the cruise albums, but that is what I show off to everyone since it encompasses the whole thing, not just the few hours of the wedding.

• 4 weeks later...
I got married on the Carnival Dream. My sister is a great photographer. I had her taking pictures pre-wedding while we were hanging out in port town and while we were getting ready. Then we had ships photographer take photos of wedding, reception, and posed photos. That way my sister was able to enjoy the wedding & reception. She still took a lot of photos during that time also, but it wasn't her "job" and she was able to enjoy the day as a guest. Then at one of the ports, we got all dressed up again and had my sister do a photo shoot on the beach... these turned out to be some of my favorite photos. So, we kind of mixed both.

The only regret I have of this is that we purchased the awesome (expensive) photo albums from the ship... and they are amazing but they don't include everything that I consider to be my wedding. My wedding experience started the day we all arrived in town, included getting nails & hair done, our bachelor/bachelorette night out on the town before the cruise, the wedding & reception, then the whole cruise afterward. So, I made a Shutterfly book that includes the whole wedding experience. It's not nearly as good quality as the cruise albums, but that is what I show off to everyone since it encompasses the whole thing, not just the few hours of the wedding.

Were you able to haggle the prices at all or were they pretty strict about the packages?

Were you able to haggle the prices at all or were they pretty strict about the packages?

We got a much better deal than the advertised price list we received. We ended up getting 2 - 16x30 canvases, the photo book, almost 80 already printed photos 5x7 and 8x10, the video, the CD with ALL images he took, and thank you cards all for $2600. We felt that was a fair price for all that we received!

When is your wedding and are you already booked? Wondering if we should be on the lookout for this as well. I am fine with making our own albums but hoping there is not a price increase. Slord12, how did you negotiate that deal?

It looks like "wakeup" is getting married on Norwegian and not Carnival so you shouldn't have to worry. I'm getting married next month on Carnival Breeze and as far as I know you can still get albums.

When is your wedding and are you already booked? Wondering if we should be on the lookout for this as well. I am fine with making our own albums but hoping there is not a price increase. Slord12, how did you negotiate that deal?

He saw we had our price list with us and after he showed us everything he just threw that price out there and we were shocked! He really seemed to enjoy talking to us and spending time with us so maybe that helped?!

We're bringing a photographer with us. I feel a little more comfortable with it because we haven't booked a wedding package through the cruise (fiance wanted a catholic wedding, so we're getting married while in port). So there aren't really any contractual issues there.

I think the big thing is that the cruise 1. wants the sale from the wedding photos and 2. doesn't want to deal with liability if passenger trips over your personal photographers lightstand (which I doubt they'd even bring on a cruise to be honest). If you use your photographer for getting ready stuff and just to snap pictures of the cruise (like any other cruiser would be doing), I think you'd be fine. Just don't step on the official photographers toes :-).

• 2 months later...
We got a much better deal than the advertised price list we received. We ended up getting 2 - 16x30 canvases, the photo book, almost 80 already printed photos 5x7 and 8x10, the video, the CD with ALL images he took, and thank you cards all for $2600. We felt that was a fair price for all that we received!

I just want the CD so hopefully I work out that deal at the end of our cruise. Otherwise, I'll use what my guests have taken and get my pictures done back at home with a different setting. The basic package that includes a CD is $900 and that's just an outrageous amount for what I want.

The quality of the wedding photos I've seen from Carnival photographers has been about 70% good and 30% cheesy and poorly staged/posed. I talked to a photographer in my area and she quoted me a GREAT price for re doing my photos after the wedding if we end up not liking the wedding photos from Carnival. She told me she had one other client do that. They got all done up again and she took pictures of just the couple. Another option, at least here in The South, is to do a bridal session before hand. I am hoping I luck out and get a great photographer on board like some of you ladies experienced. Slord12's photos are beautiful!!!

I know for sure I do NOT wedding a wedding video through Carnival. I watched about eight videos online and they were literally all the same format, down to the same song played throughout, but I guess that's par for the course with a cruise wedding.

• 2 weeks later...
I am bringing my own on NCL... I am signing a waiver stating that I don't need whats included in the package.

The photos I have seen are not the best and the one thing I have that will last forever is photography.

Who did you contact to be able to bring on your own photographer instead of your using theirs? I would love it if I were able to do that. Also when is your wedding day and what ship?

Thanks!

Who did you contact to be able to bring on your own photographer instead of your using theirs? I would love it if I were able to do that. Also when is your wedding day and what ship?

Thanks!

Technically you can not- I just learned from other brides how to work the system. I am bringing my own photographer (paying for their room). He did my engagement pictures so I know how wonderful his work is (located in Orlando,fl and doesn't mind the short drive to Miami). I told my planner my group will just be taking pictures- as long as there are no tripods, or crazy lighting set up. Guests are allowed to take pictures... two just happen to have fancy cameras :) I am on the Sky...

I am happy to give you his info if you need it!

I am getting married well eloping in 18 days (EEP!!) but we decided to nix the photographer on RCCL, well he will still be taking the photos but we decided to drop the package and instead we are having a trash the dress shoot in San Juan for the same price of just 20 pictures! Just an idea for the nonconventional bride.