MSC or Costa for April 2016 Med Cruise?

curiouser123

We want to take a 7 day cruise that includes Athens next April. Problem is that none of the lines we "know" have cruises until May. Costa & MSC are the only lines that have cruises available. I know next to nothing about either line beyond Costa Concordia stories. The reviews are so awful that I almost don't even want to look.

Our priorities would be: safety, cleanliness, and allergy awareness (1 kid has peanut allergy). I don't need luxury, just a place to sleep while we get from place to place. We actually considered the ferry but a cruise ship seems like less hassle.

Thoughts? Our only experience cruising is with Royal Caribbean. We found it acceptable and convenient but not fabulous.

We want to take a 7 day cruise that includes Athens next April. Problem is that none of the lines we "know" have cruises until May. Costa & MSC are the only lines that have cruises available. I know next to nothing about either line beyond Costa Concordia stories. The reviews are so awful that I almost don't even want to look.

Our priorities would be: safety, cleanliness, and allergy awareness (1 kid has peanut allergy). I don't need luxury, just a place to sleep while we get from place to place. We actually considered the ferry but a cruise ship seems like less hassle.

Thoughts? Our only experience cruising is with Royal Caribbean. We found it acceptable and convenient but not fabulous.

I don't know what you mean by safety? I feel safe on any cruise line but I know shi..t happens and no line is protected . MSC and Costa most clean ships I ever sailed . allergy can not comment but my friend never had a problem .

MSC has a great safety record, Costa had the Concordia. I've sailed on Costa since then and didn't feel unsafe.

I tend to prefer MDC ships to Costa's but it really depends on which MDC ship and which Costa ship you are looking at.

They're pretty similar as onboard experience goes. MDC is Italian unapologetically, Cossta more an American's idea of Italian.

I can't comment on the Costa as i have never been on however i can comment on the MSC allergy part, i have a milk allergy and they were fabalous in the MDR each night i got the menu for the next night on which i got to choose the dishes for the next night and my dishes were delivered from a seperate kitchen at the same time my other tablemates got there dishes.

In the buffet you need to ask the chef what is safe to eat and what not.

At time of booking you need to fill out a form to make them aware of the allergy and they will or will not confirm if they can accomdate that, when come on board, you go to the restaurant and tell them again so they know you are on board and can plan the first meal with you.

We really liked the MSC it is very clean, and felt very safe.

Thoughts? Our only experience cruising is with Royal Caribbean. We found it acceptable and convenient but not fabulous

This is exactly what i thought of Royal Caribbean. Acceptable but not fabulous. After sailing Preziosa, Allure of the Seas was quite a let down for me. Certainly no class about it at all..... (other than perhaps park Central & the rising tide bar). the Lirica was no different really (other than size) to Allure. Lirica being one of MSC oldest ships.

As for your question, i havent sailed Costa. But the Fantasia class ships with MSC are fabulous. Divina is next for me!