Cruise Review-Jewel of the Seas Scandinavia & Russia Cruise-August 19, 2005

cruisenfever

:) Hi Patti & Jim,

I enjoyed your review and how I appreciate your putting it all into such a complete package. I plan to copy and keep your review as a keepsake of the trip. I wish we could have spent some time together but seems there were so many things I meant to do and did not seem to fit it all in. You are right about it being very port intensive. Thank you for filling in some places we did not get to. We did enjoy the transatlantic with those days at sea with no place to go so we could enjoy the Jewel.

We hope to meet up with you again someday. I see you have a few more trips planned. Is the Radiance your favorite of this class of ships? I am looking forward to having one voyage on the Serenade so I will have enjoyed them all.

Thanks again for the review!

Sandy

:) Hi Patti & Jim,

I enjoyed your review and how I appreciate your putting it all into such a complete package. I plan to copy and keep your review as a keepsake of the trip. I wish we could have spent some time together but seems there were so many things I meant to do and did not seem to fit it all in. You are right about it being very port intensive. Thank you for filling in some places we did not get to. We did enjoy the transatlantic with those days at sea with no place to go so we could enjoy the Jewel.

We hope to meet up with you again someday. I see you have a few more trips planned. Is the Radiance your favorite of this class of ships? I am looking forward to having one voyage on the Serenade so I will have enjoyed them all.

Thanks again for the review!

Sandy

Hi Sandy, so nice of you to take the time to read my review. Yes, we did have a great time, but as you said, so much to do, so little time. Sorry we never did get the chance to attend one of your many "galas", but something always came up. Both you and your hubby were always so gracious with your invitations for which we say "thank you". Did get a quick peak at your cabin one evening when our cabin steward Rufano, who was your cabin steward, let me sneak a peak while you were at dinner. All I can say is WOW. Yes, Radiance is our favorite class of ship and Radiance of the Seas is our favorite ship. Have met and made many new friends as well as with staff members. It's always nice to be remembered when you cruise on the same ship so often. Makes you feel kinda special. We sincerely hope we sail with you guys again..........we'll definitely make a party, if the invitation is offered. Thanks again for some great and lasting memories.

~Patti~

Hi Jim and Patti...

Thank you for the review. Excellent.

Peter B. was the CD on the Rhapsody cruise we took last Spring Break. He is a hoot.

My DH and I...and 2 children are doing a two week Baltic next summer....and I heed your comments on the pace of such an itinerary. I am going to have to be so mindful of what we "schedule"..as to not wear us out.

OK. Thanks again.

Hi Jim and Patti...

Thank you for the review. Excellent.

Peter B. was the CD on the Rhapsody cruise we took last Spring Break. He is a hoot.

My DH and I...and 2 children are doing a two week Baltic next summer....and I heed your comments on the pace of such an itinerary. I am going to have to be so mindful of what we "schedule"..as to not wear us out.

OK. Thanks again.

Yes, Peter Benfield was just great. He really got the folks involved. The itinerary we did was very port intensive. So much to see in such a short period of time. There is a lot of walking, but as I mentioned in my review, the HoHo bus in the various ports is the way to see things. You can really set your own pace in each port, except St. Petersburg. There, you have a preset schedule and they follow it to the letter and time!! You cannot change once your itinerary is prepared, because all fees are paid in advance and all tour times are set. Before each place that we went to, our tour guide called ahead to let them know we were coming.

Do your research, expecially for St. Petersburg. Get books that describe the various points of interest that you and your family may enjoy seeing in St. Petersburg. Don't know how old your children are, but there are a lot of churches, palaces and museums to be seen.....they may get a little antsy!! We are talking 2 days where you start out at 7:30 in the morning and you are not back to the ship until 5:00. LONG DAYS. If you take a tour offered by the ship, you must stick to what they have planned. If you do a private tour, you can basically set up what you want to see.

The other ports that we went to we were able to go at our own pace. But again, research each port and pick out one or two things that really interest you. If you have time, and the children are having a good time, throw in something else.

If you have anymore questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them as best as I can. BTW, I am assuming that you are doing a cruise....which ship do you plan to be on?

• 2 weeks later...

Jim & Patti,

Thank you very much for a great review. We are planning to take similar cruise on Constellation, so I will use a few pointers. We just came back from the Jewel - went to Bermuda and Caribbean. Loved the ship. I agree with you about Captain James. He was the best we ever met during our 28 cruises. We had a chance to talk to him and he was very pleasant, down to earth, intelligent person. Cruise Director Peter was also on our ship. I just love british CDs. He was very funny.

Thanks again.

These boards are great

Keep cruising.............

• 2 weeks later...
I loved your detailed review.Will print it and take it with us next summer when doing the cruise. Just would like to know how much did you pay Red October? in USD? Did you book your tour by phone or email? Thanks

Thank you so much for the kind words on my review. We did the same thing as far as printing out several reviews from CC members that had done this same cruise in May and took it along for reference. It really helps, as each review had something different to offer.

There were four of us (2 couples) that did the 2 day tour together. Each couple paid $706 USD for the two day tour. We had to put a 10% deposit down when booking (which we did back in January), then the balance was paid upon completion of the tour (well, they really wanted the money the first day of the tour, but we did not bring it, so they settled on the second day). When we got our final invoice, our initial deposit was not there and luckily we had all of our paperwork with us showing that a deposit was made. It was quickly adjusted. Bring all your documentation with you proving that you made a deposit just in case the same thing happens to you. Our friends in Australia had a wonderful TA that took care of everything by email. She used our CC for the initial deposit and was emailed back all the pertinent information that the deposit had been made. You should be able to customize your sights on what you want to see. I believe they have several programs available that they will email you, then you can go from there. Just remember.......it is usually a 10 hour day......which, in my opinion is much too long. But, it you are an art lover and into churches and palaces, then that might not be long enough. Hope this helps.

We were on the Jewel in late July for the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords, & we loved it. Peter was not yet on the Jewel, we sure coulda used him.

One question... of all the tour companies in St. Pete, what made you choose Red October? I want to take this trip in '06 & I am researching St. Petersburg & the tour co.

thanks

jim

We were on the Jewel in late July for the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords, & we loved it. Peter was not yet on the Jewel, we sure coulda used him.

One question... of all the tour companies in St. Pete, what made you choose Red October? I want to take this trip in '06 & I am researching St. Petersburg & the tour co.

thanks

jim

Our friends from Australia (that we were traveling with) had their TA, who had experience dealing with Red October before, handle all the details for us. BAD MISTAKE. We should have done more research on our own to see what "we" wanted to see and then presented our ideas to them. But, from what I have read from other folks doing this cruise next year and dealing with either Red October or Denrus, the itinerary seems to be the same. You just can't go where you would like; you have to pick the churches, palaces, museums that are offered. If you do not eat lunch with a Russian family, then it is the restaurant of their choice that they take you to and then your meal charge is added to your final invoice. Guess that's all they want you to see when you are there. If you have a VISA, then you can get off the ship and do your own thing.......however.....if you know what you want to see but don't read, speak or understand Russian, you are at a big disadvantage. It's just not a port where you can get off the ship and walk into town, or just grab a taxi like the other ports we visited on this cruise.

Archived