Rci Prices Too High, Going To Carnival!

RAIDERMOM

I am a past RCI cruiser who is now switching to Carnival. RCI prices are extremely high, (Carnival is $1,000.00 cheaper for the dates I want) and I don't know why travel agents are not allowed to discount their cruises.

I enjoy RCI but know that I will enjoy Carnival also expecially for $1000.00 less. That being said, I am going to give the Carnival Glory a try.

I was choosing between RCI's 6 day Western Caribbean, and the Miracle's 7 day Western Caribbean. The price difference for our parties was over $1000 in Carnival's favor. I'm not sure if RCI is too expensive, but Carnival appears to be a great value. Disney pricing was just above RCI, but we sailed on the Magic, and I can see why it was more.

An oceanview cabin on the Miracle is about the same cost as our oceanview on the Royal Majesty (Bermuda) 10 years ago. That doesn't even take into account inflation! I had to comb through the Miracle reviews and make sure I wasn't missing something as to why Carnival pricing was so competitive.

I have to say I disagree... it all has to do with timing and how popular an itenerary is. I have been on Carnival 4 times, and when I went looking for a short trip (about 7 weeks out) the absolute best price was on RCI. However, I found this price and it increased several days later after I booked. Most cruises will come down in price at some point - and some alot more than others - based on how popular. RCI will keep reducing that rate for you if you ask.

The best thing to do is find your trip based on the line you want and the ports - then keep watching for the price to drop so you can save a few more $$.

Raidermom,

You are probably right, prices might not go down much at that time. Typically I have got to CCI because they were the best rate, but now with the web, it makes it easier to shop for much better rates. After my cruise next week, I'll know if I made a good move to try RCI - but I still can't beat the price I got!

I'm sailing on my 8th Carnival cruise next month. The only other line I've been on is Disney (and they are worth every penny you pay!!!). On all of my Carnival cruises, I've met people "switching over" for one reason or another, usually because Carnival is less expensive. Each has said that they would choose Carnival over the others for future cruises.

We sail Princess (Carnival owned) most often now due to better pricing than RCCL. And we find our experience is equal if not better - freshwater pools open 24 hours a day, Anytime Dining, and we've never been bored. We prefer the less flashy decor than what the Carnival ships have. But bottom line, it seems Carnival Corporation's ships typically have better rates than RCCL. Believe me, I've been doing a detailed pricing analysis since last April for this December's Xmas cruise, have been watching pricing, and have watched Princess go down as RCCL goes up. Carnival's (Valor specifically) hasn't changed much though they have periodiclally offered specials a good pricing.

I'm a graduate student on a budget and I've liked Carnival's product each time I stepped aboard, so even if RCI were worth $1,000 more, I'm also happy with Carnival, so that's where I'll stay until they do something to lose me or I want to go on a ship/itinerary that they don't offer.

I think most times the prices on RCI and Carnival and really pretty comparable. I am not sure why everyone just assumes that RCI is so expensive. When we cruised on Carnival it was about $100 cheaper pp than RCI and my husband and I agreed we'd need a bigger savings than $200 total to sail Carnival again. We did book our Carnival cruise 14 months in advance and that's where our main savings was cause we talked to people that had the same category room as us, booked 6 months in advance, and they paid hundreds more than we did. I think the key is to book early on any line for the best rates.

Carnival is definately the K Mart of cruiselines but they do provide a good product and usually a good price.

My wife and I have used 4 different lines and they all did a great job of providing a positive experience. Pick an itinerary you like and go for it. If you can avoid weather problems and Montezuma's Revenge, you really can't go wrong.

I have not been on RC. I have been on 5 cruises. 2 NCL, 3 Carnival. Overall food on NCL better. For the price, Carnival is fine. The Supper Club is outstanding. For the price difference, you could eat it every night and still save. It is a must. Some of the best food I have ever had. The room size is also much better. Carnival was more of a party atmosphere. However, overall, not that much difference.

We've done Carnival and RCI...and we agree on the price difference...for what we paid for a balcony on RCI we could have had a suite on Carnival. Overall we thought both cruises were about the same...and we actually thought Carnival's food was better...RCI probably had more food choices...but Carnival's food was a bit better. Anyhow...after trying both we have decided that for the price difference in the future...we'll stick with Carnival!

We sail Princess (Carnival owned) most often now due to better pricing than RCCL. And we find our experience is equal if not better - freshwater pools open 24 hours a day, Anytime Dining, and we've never been bored. We prefer the less flashy decor than what the Carnival ships have. But bottom line, it seems Carnival Corporation's ships typically have better rates than RCCL. Believe me, I've been doing a detailed pricing analysis since last April for this December's Xmas cruise, have been watching pricing, and have watched Princess go down as RCCL goes up. Carnival's (Valor specifically) hasn't changed much though they have periodiclally offered specials a good pricing.

For last years xmas sailings on the Glory, Victory and Valor, 1a rooms dipped to as low as $500 (Glory) and $550 (Victory and Valor). The Valor was at that price for maybe a week, victory a couple, then they went up. The price cuts happened in Aug.I did the victory.

For this year, I have seen them at $800, and watch the prices creep up. After Karina, the Conquest shot up from 900 to 1029. Most are simply out of my budget, especially since I am cruising this June on the Valor. However, the big bargain is the 12/31/05 Glory. Rooms were going for $750 (with taxes) when I booked. Up until last week, if you were a past cruiser, you get an inside room for $740 and get $100 cruise credit( that deal is over).Because they have three ships doing fema duty, this looks like a pricey year for holiday travel. Like I said, Glory is almost $300 less than other new years eve cruises...

I also would like to know why he wouldn't try Carnival if saving $1000. If truth be told, our family had heard so much about RCI after taking our first few cruises with Carnival we decided to try it. Yes there is a big difference in price. We have always booked well in advance more than 12 months. Our Carnival trip in a category 11 cost us $5,000 on the Pride. On RCI it cost us well into $8,000. That is a big difference. As to the service I have to admit, when we were on Carnival's ships the crew members were always more than helpful and when asked for anything never said "No". The same unfortunately can't be said for RCI. So for our family when it comes to whether its RCI or Carnival...even our children hands down say Carnival. That tells me something. So for us...its the opposite. But everyone has their opinion and that is what makes cruising so great...we can all choose whatever lines we wish to sail on.

I also would like to know why he wouldn't try Carnival if saving $1000. If truth be told, our family had heard so much about RCI after taking our first few cruises with Carnival we decided to try it. .

I'll give you a flip answer to that- a RCL would have to be $500 less than a CCL cruise to get me to take her instead. That's because that's how much I would spend for my family to avoid the RCL dining room and eat at Portofinos for five nights.

I am a very good eater but last year on RCI Voyager (5 night to Canada) I sent back entrees twice on 2 of the 5 nights. So I went without a main course 2 nights. That's how bad RCI's food was. The dining room had the same menu every day for lunch with specials inserted, just like a diner (how classy is that?). Buffet (Windjammer) was awful. Johnny Rockets served overcooked burgers and undercooked onion rings. The build your own burger in the Carnival dining room lunch is way better not to mention the grill that also serves dynamite steak sandwiches. I checked out the casual dinner one night on RCI and the only thing I could find appetizing was a wedge of brie. And since this was less than a 7 night cruise RCI does not offer lobster tails on formal night.

I went back to Canada this summer on Carnival Triumph and we averaged 2 entrees a night so I guess I made up for last year on RCI. THis was a 4 night cruise and we had lobster, lots and lots of lobster!

Archived