Cayman Spirits Co. DIY

groovechick

Has anyone done this tour DIY and what did you think of it.?I know we can get a taxi out there from the port, but how did you get back to port or wherever you were going next?

Are there taxis passing by all the time, did you get your taxi driver to come back for you at a specific time, or did you ask the distillery to call a taxi for you? Thanks.

The distillery is not on a bus line. Taxi is the way to go. they would probably be happy to call you a taxi at the end of the tour.

I know it's also walkable (about 25 mins according to Google) and normally that would be no problem for us, except by the time we finish the tour it's going to be around 12.30-1.00 so probably v. hot for pale and interesting Brits! If we do end up walking, though, are they good roads to walk along, i.e. safe; good pavements(sidewalks)? One route is Fort St-Mary St-Sound Way, the other is School Road-Godfrey Nixon Way. Don't want to end up walking down George Town's equivalent of a motorway!

Walking this is NOT recommended.

The distillery is at 65 Bronze Rd.

If I had to walk then Fort St to Mary St to Shedden Rd to Sound Way to North Sound Rd to Bronze Rd would be better. North Sound road is heavily trafficed. The roundabout is NOT pedestrian friendly.

Buses do not frequent the North Sound Rd through Esterley Tibbetts Hwy corridor including the Butterfield roundabout which Cayman Distillers is near.

Walking this is NOT recommended.

The distillery is at 65 Bronze Rd.

If I had to walk then Fort St to Mary St to Shedden Rd to Sound Way to North Sound Rd to Bronze Rd would be better. North Sound road is heavily trafficed. The roundabout is NOT pedestrian friendly.

Buses do not frequent the North Sound Rd through Esterley Tibbetts Hwy corridor including the Butterfield roundabout which Cayman Distillers is near.

Thank you very much Drew. We're happy to give the local taxis our business. Four months and counting - woop, woop!

You could also ask the taxi driver that took you out to the distillery to return at a specific time and pick you up.

Craig

Yes, thought of that Craig and will probably try that as first option, then ask the distillery to call us a taxi as the second. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Having Been to Hell and back a number of times, we looked for something else to do (good thing to because it poured most of the day), We pre-booked a distillery tour that included round trip transportation for $17 pp through Discount Excursions Ltd. We met the driver at the booth right by the dock and he took us over and picked us up 1 1/2 hours later. The tour is minimal, the distillery was small, not that much to see, but it was a hoot because the tasting was basically an "all you can drink" and the "guide" drank along with us and was hysterically funny albeit knowledgeable about the products.

We also booked through Discount Excursions. For $17 pp we got the tour and easy meet for our ride. And it was definitely fun trying all the different rums and other liquors. Our driver picked us up and we mentioned we were meeting friends at Eden Rock to snorkel. He dropped us off there instead of the port.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report back on our trip to the distillery.

We docked at the South terminal and walked the couple of minutes to the North terminal where the taxi dispatcher was based. This lovely lady had a bit of trouble finding us a taxi, because all the other drivers wanted to load up with people going to the various beaches (there were 4 ships in port), but after 5-10 mins found us a lady driver who took us to the distillery, giving us a commentary about places of interest on the way. The taxi cost us $8 pp.

We were waiting for a couple of other people to join the 11 a.m. tour, there was the four of us and a lovely honeymoon couple from DC, and the sampling started straight away. I can't tell you how much fun it was - Moses, our "guide" was friendly, funny and very knowledgeable. My daughter didn't like the neat spirits, so he went out of his way to mix her a lovely fruity cocktail instead. The other couple soon joined us and after quite a while of sampling we headed into the distillery. It's a very small operation and there's not a huge amount to see, but the back story is very interesting. We then returned to the shop/sampling area for some more drinks. Moses was booking in a big tour group off one of the ships and basically left us with the bottles, putting us on trust to enjoy sampling the products, but to drink responsibly.

The final lovely touch was when Moses said "Oh you guys came in as a group, right?" (meaning us, the couple from DC and the other couple) and only charged us the group rate for the tour instead of the individual rate! Thanks Moses!! Moses phoned for a taxi for us to take us back to port with the couple from DC, the cost was about $8 pp again. The distillery is NOT walkable from the port.

This was a great morning and one of my husband's cruise highlights. Highly recommended as something different to do for a couple of hours in Grand Cayman.