Good experience with NCL insurance

DaisyGoldberg

Just wanted to relate an excellent experience with NCL's insurance. My mom had to cancel a cruise with her friend four days before the cruise when my (adult, not living with her) sister had emergency surgery and was going to need my mom to nurse her back to health when she went home on bedrest for weeks.

She had purchased insurance, as we usually do, but we'd never had occasion to use it -- this time it more than paid off. I know that we were fairly stressed over how long it would take and how much we'd get back, so I figured I'd share so others can rest easy.

We submitted the claim on June 15 and she received the checks for both fares on July 24. NCL had separately refunded their portion of the prepaids (taxes and such) a couple of weeks earlier, and with the checks from the insurance company, the only money she and her friend were out was the cost of the insurance itself.

There was a decent amount of paperwork involved detailing what the medical situation is preventing you from taking the cruise -- we filled out most of it, but they do want you to sign a release so that the hospital will release the patient information (they verify that the person you said was hospitalized actually was, etc) There was a form for the doctor to complete giving dates of visits and hospitalizations, a diagnosis, etc. We filled in as much as we could so he just had to scan it and fill in a couple of blanks. They were very nice about doing it.

There was mention that if you were cancelling because of a death, you were to provide the death certificate. So you do need evidence that the story you're telling for why you're canceling is true, but for the usual things like death and serious illness, I don't think it's too difficult a hurdle. Those with elderly parents might wish to take on the chore themselves, however. If the cruiser is the one with the medical emergency, I imagine it might take more time to get the refund just because filling out the paperwork in order to submit it would not necessarily be your highest of priorities.

At any rate, want to reassure those who have wondered (as I did) how these things worked. We were quite satisfied.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

That's a great story and I hope your sister is doing well. Over the years, I seen too many posts about how heatless the cruise company was because they wouldn't refund the fare because of this and that. Then the insurance question comes up..."did you purchase trip insurance", and their answer is "no...But" I do hope your mom books again with her friend.:)

We also had a positive experience in May of this year. Both of us contracted a bad case of flu and could not make the drive to the New Orleans port to catch the Dawn ship for repositioning. We had the NCL platinum insurance which refunds 90% of the price as long as you submit the proper claim evidence. We had taken influenza tests and had the proof in writing that we had contracted Type A. The doctor certified that we should not travel, and although it was only 12 days before the cruise, they refunded 100% of our money minus the insurance cost.All this was done within three weeks. We are very pleased and will continue to buy this insurance.