Cruising with an autistic child

kitten3008

2 hours ago, BM3260 said:

Hi, I know this is a really old post, but I am curious how your NCL cruise went with your son?  We are looking for connecting rooms as our child has a very specific night time routine and needs his quiet space to wind down with lots of rituals.  Trying to get through to NCL to ask if three people are allowed to book connecting rooms has been quite difficult.  Was wondering what type of cabin you all had.  Most of the balcony staterooms accommodate four people, but we definitely need a separate room.  Thanks!

You will be allowed to book 3 people into 2 adjoining staterooms, but you will likely end up paying for 4 people. One of the adults would be a "solo" in room 1 and you would pay a single supplement if you didn't have double occupancy or higher in that cabin. Adult 2 and the child would be booked into room 2. 

There are some ships now that have "solo" balconies that do not incur a single supplement, but I have no idea whether or not those rooms adjoin to a standard balcony room.

Other options:
- Look into Family Oceanview rooms on the Breakaway / Breakaway+ class ships. There are a few different room layouts, but look for ones that have a separate sleeping area that can be curtained off from the main bedroom. The forward Family Oceanview rooms on the Escape (rooms ending in 700), for example, have an enclosed sleeping room with its own bed, TV, desk, and small closet. The cabins on deck 5 also have a curtain to close off one sleeping area from the main bedroom space. While not soundproof, this does provide for a dark, private space without needing two cabins.
- On the Joy, there are Family Suites that are interior cabins with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
- Look into a 2-Bedroom suite or a suite that has a primary bedroom with a door that separates from the living room. Some ships have both Haven and non-Haven suites with this configuration.
- If cost is an issue, look for adjoining oceanview or interior rooms -- or sail off peak when balconies are more affordable.

10 hours ago, Pitzel said:

You will be allowed to book 3 people into 2 adjoining staterooms, but you will likely end up paying for 4 people. One of the adults would be a "solo" in room 1 and you would pay a single supplement if you didn't have double occupancy or higher in that cabin. Adult 2 and the child would be booked into room 2. 

There are some ships now that have "solo" balconies that do not incur a single supplement, but I have no idea whether or not those rooms adjoin to a standard balcony room.

Other options:
- Look into Family Oceanview rooms on the Breakaway / Breakaway+ class ships. There are a few different room layouts, but look for ones that have a separate sleeping area that can be curtained off from the main bedroom. The forward Family Oceanview rooms on the Escape (rooms ending in 700), for example, have an enclosed sleeping room with its own bed, TV, desk, and small closet. The cabins on deck 5 also have a curtain to close off one sleeping area from the main bedroom space. While not soundproof, this does provide for a dark, private space without needing two cabins.
- On the Joy, there are Family Suites that are interior cabins with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
- Look into a 2-Bedroom suite or a suite that has a primary bedroom with a door that separates from the living room. Some ships have both Haven and non-Haven suites with this configuration.
- If cost is an issue, look for adjoining oceanview or interior rooms -- or sail off peak when balconies are more affordable.

Thank you so much!  This is very helpful information.  I will start looking into this right away. 

• Like 1

I don't know how far away your cruise is, but prior to 45 days before sailing, fill out the form at https://nclh.my.salesforce-sites.com/AccessDeskForm/  and do the Other Medical Special Needs in the pulldown. 

NCL does very well when they have advanced notice. As for booking, yeah, do it with one adult as a solo in the one cabin and one with the kid in the other. Do not book a Guarantee cabin, pay the extra to be able to pick your cabins, so you can pick the adjoining ones. There are also some suites on some ships that have 2 separate bedrooms and common living area, but I don't know your finances.

I'm the one with autism, so I'm just giving you advice from my own perspective, not as a parent. I also bring special ear plugs for the cruise, called HearOs (nine bucks on Amazon). They cut down the auditory sensory issues for me, but still let me hear the music and what people are saying. Any food preferences/sensitivites/allergies can be stated in the Access Form and then when you get on board, you meet with someone from the restaurant staff. I choose to pre-order the night before, so the food is exact for my needs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I don't know how far away your cruise is, but prior to 45 days before sailing, fill out the form at https://nclh.my.salesforce-sites.com/AccessDeskForm/  and do the Other Medical Special Needs in the pulldown. 

NCL does very well when they have advanced notice. As for booking, yeah, do it with one adult as a solo in the one cabin and one with the kid in the other. Do not book a Guarantee cabin, pay the extra to be able to pick your cabins, so you can pick the adjoining ones. There are also some suites on some ships that have 2 separate bedrooms and common living area, but I don't know your finances.

I'm the one with autism, so I'm just giving you advice from my own perspective, not as a parent. I also bring special ear plugs for the cruise, called HearOs (nine bucks on Amazon). They cut down the auditory sensory issues for me, but still let me hear the music and what people are saying. Any food preferences/sensitivites/allergies can be stated in the Access Form and then when you get on board, you meet with someone from the restaurant staff. I choose to pre-order the night before, so the food is exact for my needs.

Thank you so much.  I very much appreciate this info.  I'm ordering the HearOs now on Amazon.  You've been so helpful.  

• Like 1

And if your child might go to splash academy, please go there during the special sign up hours to explain your child's needs to the staff.   You can include this information on the email you send to the special needs department, but I'd also recommend speaking to the splash academy staff directly.   You can bring your child to splash academy and have them meet the staff with you and help them adjust to the kids club.  They have a limited number of beepers they give parents of young children having trouble adjusting and children with disabilities.  Tell the kids club staff if you want to be notified immediately if your child wants to leave (they tend to try to distract the kids the first time they ask, since many parents are annoyed to have to pick up their kids early.  If you tell them to call you right away, they will and you can get your child whenever they've had enough).  You might also want to cross post this on the family forum, and parents of other children with autism might have more advice.  

On the first buffet, bring a bag to take back some fruit, yogurt and cereal so you always have snacks in the room (on my last cruise NCL still had cereal boxes but most lines have eliminated them so its possible NCL will at some point also).  You can bring sealed food off the ship and I'd recommend always having snacks on hand while you are in port.  For families, I always strongly recommend considering private tours with just your own family, so you can control the itinerary and reduce wait time.  Private tours for just your family are sometimes less than ship tours, but if they cost too much then at least consider private tours for small groups, since the smaller buses can get closer to attractions and there's less waiting.  But research the private tour cancellation policy before booking.  Usually in the Caribbean they are refundable if the ship doesn't dock, but in Europe they might not be.    

Longer term, please note that both Cunard and Princess allow children under 3 to attend the kids club with parental supervision.  You'd need to contact their special needs departments, but it's possible they would also let parents of children with disabilities stay in the kids club to the side.  If that's something your child would need, you can contact those lines to see if its possible with them (I don't know but it might be an accommodation hey can make since they let some parents in the kids club already).

Edited by kitkat343

9 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

And if your child might go to splash academy, please go there during the special sign up hours to explain your child's needs to the staff.   You can include this information on the email you send to the special needs department, but I'd also recommend speaking to the splash academy staff directly.   You can bring your child to splash academy and have them meet the staff with you and help them adjust to the kids club.  They have a limited number of beepers they give parents of young children having trouble adjusting and children with disabilities.  Tell the kids club staff if you want to be notified immediately if your child wants to leave (they tend to try to distract the kids the first time they ask, since many parents are annoyed to have to pick up their kids early.  If you tell them to call you right away, they will and you can get your child whenever they've had enough).  You might also want to cross post this on the family forum, and parents of other children with autism might have more advice.  

On the first buffet, bring a bag to take back some fruit, yogurt and cereal so you always have snacks in the room (on my last cruise NCL still had cereal boxes but most lines have eliminated them so its possible NCL will at some point also).  You can bring sealed food off the ship and I'd recommend always having snacks on hand while you are in port.  For families, I always strongly recommend considering private tours with just your own family, so you can control the itinerary and reduce wait time.  Private tours for just your family are sometimes less than ship tours, but if they cost too much then at least consider private tours for small groups, since the smaller buses can get closer to attractions and there's less waiting.  But research the private tour cancellation policy before booking.  Usually in the Caribbean they are refundable if the ship doesn't dock, but in Europe they might not be.    

Longer term, please note that both Cunard and Princess allow children under 3 to attend the kids club with parental supervision.  You'd need to contact their special needs departments, but it's possible they would also let parents of children with disabilities stay in the kids club to the side.  If that's something your child would need, you can contact those lines to see if its possible with them (I don't know but it might be an accommodation hey can make since they let some parents in the kids club already).

More excellent tips!  Thank you kindly.  I'm putting all this important info into one document to serve as my reference sheet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2015 at 3:23 PM, flatcircle said:

kitten3008

I'm an OT who works with kids on the autism spectrum. So, the first thing that I would suggest is if your child is see by an OT, discuss the upcoming cruise with her/him. You probably also need to consider how you are going to handle the muster drill.

Concerning check-in: One suggestion that I give my parents is to consider boarding after you know you will be able to access your cabin. No matter how well you plan the check-in, the noises/decorations/people can be overwhelming sensory-wise. This would give you private space as soon as you board (if needed) & buffet food could be carried back to the room.

Also, consider having your child wear a backpack while going through the check-in process. The increased weight can be calming (kind of like a walking hug). Your OT can help you determine the ideal weight for the pack.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

You mention the muster drill.  I know what it is meant for but.... On the Joy we went to an auditorium and I think there someone demonstrating on the stage.  On the Encore and Getaway I was not aware of any muster drill. I was told my number, or area of whatever they called it but I never had to go anywhere to do anything about it.  I do remember what I think you saying would be difficult. On a Cunard liner in 2013, masses of people had to crowd into an area and listen.  UGH.

On 8/21/2015 at 11:51 AM, kitten3008 said:

Hey everyone! First of all, I am sure this post will end up with people making a ton of "special snowflake" comments and that's fine, I have a thick skin. 🙂

My question is, does anyone have any experience dealing with NCL's accessabilities department in regards to sailing with autistic children? Specifically, my 8 year old son struggles with noise and crowds in general. Why take him on a cruise, you ask? Because he is 8 years old, and he deserves a vacation, and because ultimately, while on the ship, I have a lot of control on whether or not to take him certain places at certain times. A cruise is perfect, because so much is included in the fare. I'm not paying a ton of money to go see a show that it turns out he's having a bad day and can't handle, we can just choose to leave if something becomes too much for him.

I am not requesting any sort of preferential treatment during the duration of the cruise, my curiosity runs toward embarkation. I have seen the occasional post about early boarding for special needs, and the occasional inclusion of individuals with autism being included on that list. I am obviously going to call NCL and speak with them on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this. Thanks!

I jumpped in here to say that while I absolutely no experience of any sort in autism in any manner, I sincerely hope that you and yoru child have an amazing time when you do cruise.  I trust that NCL will do whatever is in their power to help make you cruise the best experience possible.  Good luck to you, and I hope that your child throughly enjoys the time you have together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

You mention the muster drill.  I know what it is meant for but.... On the Joy we went to an auditorium and I think there someone demonstrating on the stage.  On the Encore and Getaway I was not aware of any muster drill. I was told my number, or area of whatever they called it but I never had to go anywhere to do anything about it.  I do remember what I think you saying would be difficult. On a Cunard liner in 2013, masses of people had to crowd into an area and listen.  UGH.

The muster drills are online now.  When you check in on the app, or on the NCL site, you watch a video.  When you check in on embarkation day they will give you your room key card that had a letter on for your muster station.  You should go there immediately upon boarding and they will scan your card.  That’s it, no mass muster drill.

3 hours ago, stinkyharriet said:

The muster drills are online now.  When you check in on the app, or on the NCL site, you watch a video.  When you check in on embarkation day they will give you your room key card that had a letter on for your muster station.  You should go there immediately upon boarding and they will scan your card.  That’s it, no mass muster drill.

I think I remember  watching something before I left home.  I dont remember going anywhere to have my card scanned  Maybe they did when I wasnt aware. Sure dont think I learned anything  When I sailed in 1966 the muster drills were out on deck lol 

One more thing - you might want to go to the front desk and ask them to put a daily limit on your child’s sea pass if you are worried about them spending too much.  Sometimes kids decide to be very generous with their seapass for their new friends in the arcade.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2