What to do in Hilo on a very special day

betonic

My best friend will be turning 50 the day that our cruise is in Hilo. I'd like to make the day amazing. Any suggestions? Cost is not really a factor. She loves water/boats and good food. We are planning a helicopter tour in Kauai so don't think we want to do that again.

Thanks in advance.

I have just returned from the Pride of America cruise for my 50th birthday. I found the Volcano fascinating so given you are already on a cruise and depending how long you have in port maybe she would like to visit Volcano Lodge (lunch?) which has a view of the steaming Kilaueua crater/caldera and often glows after dark.

ETA: I also loved the black sand beach with turtles at Punaluu

Edited by jaybee1965

Volcano National Park is a great day but does not include a boat or the water. There are not many boat tours in Hilo but one that gets good reviews on Trip Advisor is Hawaiisailingtours.com. Capt. Dan is apparently a very good sailor and host. Their website indicates "birthday specials."

If you visit VNP that day the new restaurant at the Volcano House is a nice option but we have not eaten their since the renovation. The view is wonderful. The Kilauea Lodge has a wonderful dining room and food. We had hoped to go for lunch in May but just missed the lunch hours. There are some good restaurants in Hilo but the Kilauea Lodge is my favorite in the VNP area. Have a great time. Cherie