Camp carnival/ocean with 3yr old

First timer36

You can't stay with her but for what's it's worth, our DD started going to camp a week after her 2nd birthday and has now been on 4 cruises (she turns 5 soon) and we have to bribe her to spend time with us. All she wants to do is go to camp. She literally wakes up when we are on a cruise asking if camp is open and can she go now!

I know everyone's experience is different but wanted to share ours.

They should issue you a cell phone that will work on the ship so they can call you with any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an intro to camp in one of the lounges the first night of the cruise. I believe they follow that up with a visit to camp where the parents can check it out (but the kids can't stay).

After that first night, parents are not allowed in camp for safety/security reasons. That doesn't mean that it never happens, but it should never happen. Camp at that age is fairly secure. Most ships have double latched (inside/outside) gates so that a child can't get out on there own. Most ships are also one large area, maybe L-shaped, but easy enough for the counselors to keep an eye on all the kids.

There is also an under-2s time some mornings, where parents are allowed to use the youngest kids area. This is not drop off, but perhaps could help your child get used to the camp and enjoy the toys. I don't know if they'd even allow you in given that your child is old enough for regular camp, but if no one else in there they might.

I would recommend that you pre-register on Carnival.com, even if you aren't sure you'll use it. It takes a minute or two and will save a bunch of hassle on the ship.

Family cruise this June on Breeze. My 3 year old granddaughter was with us. It was her third cruise but first that she could go to the camp. She loved playing with the other kids as did my grandsons when they were younger.

We only seen the camp from a peek over the locked partial doors. Believe me! As the mother of a child who was victim to an attempted abduction in our home town you want that security.

That was our peace of mind. I hope all of you, parents and child enjoy your cruise

PS. No you cannot enter the camp area except on orientation night and family events which they do have

Edited by Muumuu

My daughter cruised with us when she was almost three. She loved camp Carnival. We would go through the camp funtimes and highlight the things we thought she would enjoy (decorate a t-shirt, craft time, story time, etc). She enjoyed it so much she chose going to camp over going swimming a few times. They give you a phone, and you can call and check in on her or even drop by and check in on her. You just can't go through the gated area but can still see what is going on. I hope you have a great cruise.

My daughter cruised with us when she was almost three. She loved camp Carnival. We would go through the camp funtimes and highlight the things we thought she would enjoy (decorate a t-shirt, craft time, story time, etc). .

(Probably not an issue with a 3YO, but...) If you have a pedantic child, be careful with this. They don't always go by the schedule and on a busy week (school holiday or summer) they will tend to throw the schedule out the window. At some point there are just too many kids to do crafts projects and that sort of thing, but my feeling is that they should at least update the Capers so the parents don't plan around the wrong schedule or prep the kids for an event that doesn't happen. This has happened to us on Carnival and MSC, which are the only two lines we've cruised since having kids.

You just can't go through the gated area but can still see what is going on. I hope you have a great cruise.

The Carnival ships also have a monitor near the entry to camp, but hidden from the kids area. This allows parents to look in on the kids w/o having to peek their heads in and potentially be seen by the kiddo. Depending on the ship, sometimes it's hidden well and other times not so much.

So we are taking our toddler with us on our very first cruise. DH is a bit scared to leave her with the camp. I personally think she would have fun. Can we stay with her for a bit to ease his mind?

Camp Ocean is one of the first places we go after boarding, we went in looked around together, talked to the manager, got a schedule and played for a few minutes.

I wrote a full review of Camp Ocean from our magic trip, I'll link it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2199649

Edited by Sooner-Cruisers

So we are taking our toddler with us on our very first cruise. DH is a bit scared to leave her with the camp. I personally think she would have fun. Can we stay with her for a bit to ease his mind?

some ships/lines offer open house hours, you can go and play WITH her during this time, she can enjoy but you don't have to leave her.